What age chameleon should i get?

Gumnut

I am an experienced reptile/amphibian owner (2 ball pythons,corn snakes, bearded dragon, leopard gecko, pacman frog, axolotl, anoles,moon crabs, and these are just my reptiles/amphibians) and i thought i would try my hand at keeping a chameleon as I have wanted one for a few years now but didn't have the means or money to get one for myself (im 16). I have all my research done and all of the supplies are ready and setup, all i need now is my chameleon. I plan to get a veiled chameleon because they seem to be hardy and fairly inexpensive but when I look at breeders sites I notice they have the chameleons organized into age categories. Can anyone give any advice as to what age chameleon is best to start out with in terms of having it get used to you and its new environment.
Edit: this question is aimed more towards the baby chameleons and the juvenile ones. I don't want to start out with an chameleon that is already matured.
Thanks for your help!!

Last edited:
I would get a baby. Personally the experience of seeing how your chameleon grows up, and how his colors develop is a great. :D

I would get one that is at least 3 months old. Younger than that and they are much more difficult to care for. With one that is a little older, they are able to forgive minor problems in husbandry until you get it dialed. Chameleons are very different than most reptiles, so you will make a couple mistakes.

I would get one that is at least 3 months old. Younger than that and they are much more difficult to care for. With one that is a little older, they are able to forgive minor problems in husbandry until you get it dialed. Chameleons are very different than most reptiles, so you will make a couple mistakes.

This.

I got my first chameleon when I was 13. It was a 4 week old veiled. That was 16 years ago and all the proper care info wasnt as readily available online. Needless to say the experience was not good. At that age I had cared for all kinds of lizards, frogs, turtles.. I didn't think a chameleon could be that much different to care for... I was wrong chameleons are a whole different ballpark. My suggestion is just read as much as you can and get a male somewhere between 3-6 months.. nothing younger than that though

Good luck

Thanks for the help guys. And I have done a ton of research on chameleons. I understand they aren't the easiest of reptiles to keep but I am up for the challenge. Thanks again for the help.

Welcome to the forums. I have kept chameleons for 10 years and veileds are one of my favorite. The most important thing is to buy your chameleon from a very small time breeder, preferably one that only breeds their pets occasionally. Allot of the big time breeders sale the veiled babies off way to soon, so they don't have to feed them an extra month or two because healthy veiled babies can really put away some food. I've seem them for sale that looked like they were just hatched of the egg yesterday and they were adversisted as two months old. Also you get a much friendlier chameleon when you buy from a small time breeder because they have more time to spend with their animals than someone that has tons of adult chameleons plus babies to care for. I'm attaching my blog for new keepers, this is what has worked for me over the years and produced some gorgeous veileds.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Also if you live near Charlotte, there's a really good chameleon vet there. Dr. Wheelock.

Last edited:
i have found a 3-4 month old veiled chameleon at a local pet store. They have him in a 36 inch tall cage with dense vegetation and over all seem to be taking great care of him so far. Im considering him because I have had the opportunity to hold him and surprisingly he was very friendly. Everything about him says he is healthy and happy. I was going to buy from a breeder online but I like being able to see the animal i am getting in person before i take it home with me.
Again I would like to thank everyone who has posted for their help

i have found a 3-4 month old veiled chameleon at a local pet store. They have him in a 36 inch tall cage with dense vegetation and over all seem to be taking great care of him so far. Im considering him because I have had the opportunity to hold him and surprisingly he was very friendly. Everything about him says he is healthy and happy. I was going to buy from a breeder online but I like being able to see the animal i am getting in person before i take it home with me.
Again I would like to thank everyone who has posted for their help

I would strongly recommend you buy from a local source. Shipping takes a lot out of them.

Back
Top Bottom