What’s up with my skin?

Matthew43s

Established Member
Hey all, just wanted to check in and see what the professionals had to say about this KP has always had shed problems, normally around the same area. Any ideas? Also how’s he looking for a year and 4 month of male? Let me know!
90F3E722-2AB8-4706-8D1D-6831E45484E9.jpeg
5C9861B3-A389-439D-B057-E887B2E19B6F.jpeg
A0E8EF39-0844-431F-8E6E-5C683AE46430.jpeg
A8A7DDE8-57E6-4349-B12A-2A3A330CFB11.jpeg

Filling out the care sheet might be helpful if it's a husbandry thing

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Your boy reminds me very much of my Yoshi. He had the same shedding problems. I then bought "Repti Shedding Aid" by "Zoo Med" in the pet shop, which is a liquid to be sprayed on the chameleon and then gently massaged in. It definitely helped my boy and he seems to greatly enjoy the gentle massage! It contains jojoba oil and other oils as well as vitamin E and can also be used preventatively once a month to keep the skin healthy.

Brody, I am sure that essential oils cannot harm any skin. Oil is different from water, and Repti Shedding Aid specifically lists chameleons as one of the species for which it is indicated. When I had snakes they also got essential oil & vitamin E products prescribed by the vet as a shedding aid. However, my pythons also enjoyed bathing in water buckets which the chameleons don't seem to be keen on. However, Yoshi enjoys standing in front of my water spray bottle when I use it, whereas my girl, Lizzie, does not like it and moves away. So, chameleons seem to have different preferences when it comes to having light showers!

I have to agree with Brody here. There is obviously a husbandry problem. Using any shedding aid should be a last ditch effort. Please fill out the questions above, and someone should be able to help solve your shedding issue. Slathering a chameleon in any product, oil or not should not be part of routine care.

Brody, I am sure that essential oils cannot harm any skin. Oil is different from water, and Repti Shedding Aid specifically lists chameleons as one of the species for which it is indicated. When I had snakes they also got essential oil & vitamin E products prescribed by the vet as a shedding aid. However, my pythons also enjoyed bathing in water buckets which the chameleons don't seem to be keen on. However, Yoshi enjoys standing in front of my water spray bottle when I use it, whereas my girl, Lizzie, does not like it and moves away. So, chameleons seem to have different preferences when it comes to having light showers!
They can put whatever the want on the label, doesn’t mean it’s actually a good thing! Prime example is the chameleon kits all the big pet stores push. I’ll say it again, chams are dry shedders and shouldn’t be sprayed down during a shed!

If your having issues with shed and you just fall back to this bad habit you are silencing one of your early warning signs that alert you that something bigger may be coming down the road.

Spraying stuck shed it treating a symptom, not the root cause of the problem!

They can put whatever the want on the label, doesn’t mean it’s actually a good thing! Prime example is the chameleon kits all the big pet stores push. I’ll say it again, chams are dry shedders and shouldn’t be sprayed down during a shed!

If your having issues with shed and you just fall back to this bad habit you are silencing one of your early warning signs that alert you that something bigger may be coming down the road.

Spraying stuck shed it treating a symptom, not the root cause of the problem!

Agreed. My veiled had a similar shedding issue last year. My supplement schedule was on point along with humidity. Turns out adding a good dry gutload to the fresh greens I feed my feeder insects helped out.

Nutrition plays a huge part in chameleon health.

Agreed. My veiled had a similar shedding issue last year. My supplement schedule was on point along with humidity. Turns out adding a good dry gutload to the fresh greens I feed my feeder insects helped out.

Nutrition plays a huge part in chameleon health.

Came onto this thread because my Petrie has been experiencing this same type of problem but his humidity and supplements have all been in check. The only thing that has changed is that he has been refusing to eat crickets. He used to chow them down like crazy but now he’s only interested in super worms or horn worms. I make sure there are always crickets in the cage and in his feeding fish but he just won’t touch them. Could this lack of gutloaded crickets be the source of his shedding problem?

Came onto this thread because my Petrie has been experiencing this same type of problem but his humidity and supplements have all been in check. The only thing that has changed is that he has been refusing to eat crickets. He used to chow them down like crazy but now he’s only interested in super worms or horn worms. I make sure there are always crickets in the cage and in his feeding fish but he just won’t touch them. Could this lack of gutloaded crickets be the source of his shedding problem?
Absolutely. There would be a bit of a delay from when he stopped eating them and when the issue started but if the timeline mostly matches up I’d say that’s it.

Back
Top Bottom