Werner's Chameleon sick. Please help me help Chuck!!!

BMXICAN

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, 1.5' x 1.5' x 2.5'
Lighting - Natural sunlight / Reptisun 5.0 when inside.
Temperature - 80°-70° during the day. 65° at night.
Humidity - I have a thermometer outside that reads 30% plus I mist and add ice cubes to the top of his cage. He has one live plant in there too.
Plants - Hibiscus.
Location - On top of the BBQ, outside. Not lots of traffic and out of view of the female werner's.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male werner's. Been in my care for almost a year.
Handling - Lately, everyday. Usually I don't bug them much.
Feeding - I've had to force feed him lately, he swallowed some phoenix worms and a small hornworm.
Supplements - ZooMed Calcium without D3, Mineral O and ocasionally Herpivite Multivitamin and some T-Rex Calcium with Vitamin A and D3.
Watering - Misting and ice cubes. He dosen't drink like he use too.
Fecal Description - He finally pooped today. The hornworm was gigested but the phoenix worms where whole still. Poop was soft and squishy.
History - I took him to the vet a few days ago. I have had him on anti-biotics for a few days (I have 27 days to go) and diluted gatorade. The doc gave him a bunch of shots to hydrate him as well.
Current Problem - He has been sleeping during the day, althought not as much since I took him to the doctor. He has developed little white dots on his rear legs. He won't eat on his own. His eyes are sunken but look a bit better since the vet visit.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Here are the pictures. Thanks.

DSC01508.jpg

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01512.jpg

DSC01513.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

I don't know what to say to anything other than the undigested phoenix worms.

I have read that they will go through undigested if they are not punctured. The remedy is to poke them with a pin or give them a small snip with scissors just prior to feeding. They are tough little maggots and need to have a hole somewhere to be digestible.

I usually keep my jackson around 70 to 75 degrees at night. I only bring this up because your guy is real dark and i know dark colors and not eating are big signs of husbandry issues. Maybe try keeping him a little warmer at night. Also, you dont want your humidity to drop below 60%, i have herd that ice cubes aren't always the best simply, because the water dropping from them is uncomfortably cold for a cham. Hope this helps ya...

Last edited:
I'll try to puncture the worms next time I feed him. The temperature really dosen't drop as low as I posted it. Sorry. I posted the outside nightime temp. But he is indoors. His temperature at night never drops below 70°, as that how warm it is at night here. He isn't close to a window either. Thanks for the tips.... hopefully someone can help me. I don't want my little guy to die. Male werner's are hard to come buy and he was my first cham. :(

I usually keep my jackson around 70 to 75 degrees at night. I only bring this up because your guy is real dark and i know dark colors and not eating are big signs of husbandry issues. Maybe try keeping him a little warmer at night. Also, you dont want your humidity to drop below 60%, i have herd that ice cubes aren't always the best simply, because the water dropping from them is uncomfortably cold for a cham. Hope this helps ya...

BTW, he has NEVER minded ice cubes before. He use to drink straight from the cube, between him and the screen.

You said you took him to the doctor...what for? What did the doctor say and do?

His eyes are slightly sunken in...so it makes me think that something is going on.

Those white spots could be the problem...or at least part of it.

You said you took him to the doctor...what for? What did the doctor say and do?

His eyes are slightly sunken in...so it makes me think that something is going on.

Those white spots could be the problem...or at least part of it.

I took him to the doctor because of what I'm describing.
He was lathargic, sleeping at day and not drinking.
Any clue to what these white spots might be?

So what did the vet say? Did he run any tests? What did he do about the white spots?

He just said he was dehydrated and he gave me anti-biotics and told me to give them to him for 30 days. He also gave him some shots to hydrate him.

IMHO, he should have at least tested to see what those spots were/are.
Eyes that are sinking in can be from dehydration, but in my experience it usually indicates that something else is going on too in many of the cases.

Well his spots seem to be going away. I haven't noticed them today. I'm still giving him anti-biotics and liquids. He is still pretty lathargic thought...

Sorry my vet sucks (I guess)... I asked for info BEFORE I took him to the vet to see if anyone had any recommendations on a better vet or herptologist. No one did, so I took him where the LLL Reptile people recommended. Thanks...

Howdy Chris,

Which Vet(s) has examined your chameleon so far?

If you need to make another visit, Dr. Boyer might be your best bet. I've heard of him from several different sources. It looks like he may be within 30 miles of you too :).

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490

An excerpt from their office's website (http://www.pethospitalpq.com/about_staff.php):

"Dr. Boyer has a special interest in veterinary care of reptiles and amphibians. In 1991 he co-founded the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians. He created the Bulletin of the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians (now the Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery) and has served as its editor to the present. Dr. Boyer has published two books on reptile medicine through the American Animal Hospital Association, the most recent of which is Essentials of Reptiles: A Guide for Practitioners."

I'm also concerned about the blood in the photo of the poop. Be sure to show your vet that photo.

Howdy Chris,

Which Vet(s) has examined your chameleon so far?

If you need to make another visit, Dr. Boyer might be your best bet. I've heard of him from several different sources. It looks like he may be within 30 miles of you too :).

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490

An excerpt from their office's website (http://www.pethospitalpq.com/about_staff.php):

"Dr. Boyer has a special interest in veterinary care of reptiles and amphibians. In 1991 he co-founded the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians. He created the Bulletin of the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians (now the Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery) and has served as its editor to the present. Dr. Boyer has published two books on reptile medicine through the American Animal Hospital Association, the most recent of which is Essentials of Reptiles: A Guide for Practitioners."

I'm also concerned about the blood in the photo of the poop. Be sure to show your vet that photo.

Thanks for the info... too late now. Chuck passed this morning, quite peacefully I may add. He was my first cham, this is very hard on me but I'm glad he isn't suffering anymore. Thanks for the help....

Back
Top Bottom