went 2 the vets 2day....

dumbblondie

so i took the mornin of work 2day & took cammie my chameleon with the dead tail into the vet she weighed her first which was 30g (i think thats wat she said) cammie is just over 5 months the vet said she was a little slim she then measured the dead part of her tail which is 2.5cm but in all she will need at least 9cm removed i've been given 2 lots of antibiotics & told 2 come back in a week 2 measure her tail again so i'll give an update in a weeks time she also said 2 get the humidity level up so they now have a little fountain in with them

fountains are frowned upon round here, parasite and bacteria breeding ground. but if you really need it, i would block it so the chamy cant drink from it.

Good luck... But I noticed you said "them"... Are you housing more than one together. I am guessing that if there is more than one together this may be the source of your issue.

i have 2 females cammie & fizz i've been told that they don't like 2 b kept 2gether but they r often spotted on the same branch & they both like 2 come out 2gether they both wait by the glass at feedin time 2 come out they do have the odd times when they do puff them selves up but i've not seen this much

the fountain was suggested by the pet shop as runnin water is better 2 humiditify they tank what do u lot us instead?

What kind of Chams are they? What kind/size is the enclosure? If it is one of the more commonly kept panthers or Veileds like most people keep, it's not recommended to keep two together, and if you do you should have the time and experience to observe any behaviors that might be a sign of stress or aggression. A lot of times the behaviors that seem cute are actually red flags saying that they should be seperated. I am not saying that this is definatly what these behaviors mean in this case but from what you said... Them on the branch together looks like them enjoying eachothers company, but it could be them competing for the ideal basking spot. When they both come to the "glass" (please tell me you are not keeping them in an all glass tank:eek:.) this could be them realizing that with the other one in there they have to act fast if they want to get any before the other eats it all... Therefore creating competeion for food.

I mentioned this cause it sounds like one may have become a little adjetated when you weren't looking one day and decided to take a chomp at the others tail... If this is what happened you are lucky becasue it could have been a lot worse. I have encountered horror stories in all kinds of herps where 2 lizards were visually fine living with eachother, Then the owner returns home to an ugly site... (All it takes is once while your not looking, and you can find a bloodbath on hands... no kidding.) I would recommend seperating them just to be safe. I have seen a male Beardie that had his tail bit off by a female at the base, and it had to be amputated down to the point where there was nowhere to house the Hemi's, so they had to be amputated as well... This happened between two beardies that were fine living together for years. :eek: IMHO It is always best to let your animals have there own domain to rule.

One thinkg I will tell you that will save yourself a lot of headache... When it comes to doing your research and asking questions... Come here first... And NEVER take what the pet store tells you as good info without checking into it here first. They just wanted to sell you something else... They don't care if your chams drinks bacteria infested water, They care about the sale.

the fountain was suggested by the pet shop as runnin water is better 2 humiditify they tank what do u lot us instead?

You should have some kind of misting sytem to keep the plants moist... that ussually keeps the humidity at the proper levels.

they r veiled chameleons they live in a wooden vivarium with glass doors they come 2 the glass when they want 2 come out fizz has only just wanted 2 come out which makes feedin time really hard as they both come out as soon as they vivariam is open the reason i went 2 the pet shop first is because i needed 2 get somethin quick as i had 2 get back 2 work when i went 2 the vet i made it clear that there is another chameleon in the vivarium & she didn't seem conserned about this just the humidity the vet also said that it was a bad shed due 2 humidity but i will keep a close eye on them

Sounds like one bit the others tale to me. It isn't uncommon for that to happen and actually once their tale has been bitten then it eventually falls off at the bit mark itself. And furthermore, fountain in an enclosure, especially in glass enclosure is not advised.

-chris

Back
Top Bottom