Well, here goes nothing.

Hello all! Me llamo Josiah. I am definitely new to chams but not new to herps in general. Before I get to the reason I am posting this in Enclosures and Supplies, allow me to introduce myself. Or don't and skip straight to the question. Whichever you prefer.

I cannot believe how long I lived without these animals; its crazy to think about. It all started a few years back, when I got my first freshwater aquarium. One thing lead to another, and now I have a puny 26g bowfront aquarium in which I intend to use as a little south american blackwater biotope with a medium sized school of tetras one day, a bunch of poison dart frogs, and a parrot.

One trend I noticed in my animal hobbies: I LOVE colorful animals more than ANYTHING ELSE on the planet. Just seeing such an array of colors in the natural world thoroughly fascinates me. It started with freshwater fish, where my all time favorite was (and is!) The cardinal tetra. Then I went through this wierd lepidoptera phase, exclusively butterflies, and then back to fish, then fish and parrots, then fish and parrots and poison dart frogs, and now fish and parrots and poison dart frogs and chameleons and day geckos and bearded dragons. Someone help me

In all seriousness, I can't really think of a better place to be than a chameleon forum if I have a thing for colorful animals.

I come here because I know the value of forums and how extremely quick you can learn from others more knowledgeable about the specific topic, and that forums often have awesome DYI tips, tricks, and how-toos that when done correctly make everone's lives easier. Which brings me to my next addiction.

I love DYI stuff as well, I just love seeing what I can create with my hands (and, of course, the usual duct tape and WD-40). I have made lots of stuff DYI and the way I see it, if it can be made DYI and be just as good, if not better, then anything pre-made, then I'll make it.

Which finally brings me to my question! Like I said, I'm a very DYI person, so I want to know if/how one could make a DIY chameleon setup, and if so, a rough estimate of how much it would cost to build one would be lovely. The size, of course, is all relative to the age & species, but let's just base it off of bigger is better, adult male panther size, just for the conversations sake. I have a mistking system good for 20 nozzles and several screen top wedges, so misting isn't an issue.

I have much to learn, so bare with me. I would use the search function but I am really busy today and had to take several breaks during the write-up of this book to deal with some stuff, but for most of my future questions I will always search before posting.

Thanks for any help!

-Josiah

I'm not much of a DIY person, it took me about a week to set up a misting system that only should have taken an hour. But, from what I've heard, DIY cages are pretty easy, fun, and there are plenty who have done it on here. Sorry I'm no help. Just wanted to say you're in the right place.

Welcome fellow DIYer, depending on your cage size I would say building one from home depot (2x2x4) would cost around $50-$75. Alluminum screen can probably found at a local window company and is the hardest to frame, my tip is to run the roller around the screen first before you insert the rubber spool "spline". Good luck and hope to see pictures soon!

If truly in the NM area, you may want to take that into consideration. Maybe start with a veil, and build up confidence and experience. Low humidity, can be a challenge.

If truly in the NM area, you may want to take that into consideration. Maybe start with a veil, and build up confidence and experience. Low humidity, can be a challenge.

Absolutely. Comming from a poison dart frog background, I know there are much better frogs for beginners and it personally drives me crazy when a rich noob comes to the hobby and puts 1k into an advanced species of frog only to have all of them die later because they were unprepared, uneducated, and inexperienced as owners. So I guess I have another question, what are some good starting cham species? You mentioned veiled, any others?

Also, could you please expand a bit more on what NM means? Whether or not its a hobby term I have no clue :eek:

Also, could you please expand a bit more on what NM means? Whether or not its a hobby term I have no clue :eek:

I think he means that you are in New Mexico - not a hobby term at all :D What he's referring to is the fact that you have much lower humidity than those of us here in Florida as an example. Therefore veileds have a reputation for being hardier and more able to withstand a noob. It would be much harder for you to have a montane species, like a Jackson's where you are living.

Personally I started with a panther, but with your geographic location I'd think of a veiled, or maybe a carpet for a smaller species. Both can be quite colorful - you can see my Kimani sleeping in my profile pic, and either would be a nice choice for you to start with and learn the ins and outs of controlling humidity in a desert climate. Then, when you have that figured out, maybe branch into panthers etc.

Best of luck, and for the record I love your username (I'm a scuba diver, so can completely relate), and your great attitude towards learning. Welcome to another addicting hobby! :D

Welcome to the forums! If you like colorful animals, you will want to get a panther (F. Pardalis). They have some amazing colors.

As for DIY work, I find it really depends on your personal skill. I have DIY cages but they are ugly as can be, meanwhile, I've seen others that look very professional. I try to DIY or substitute as much as I can to save some cash, but there are some stuff you have to dish out for. Light bulbs, supplelents, and so on.

I think he means that you are in New Mexico - not a hobby term at all :D What he's referring to is the fact that you have much lower humidity than those of us here in Florida as an example. Therefore veileds have a reputation for being hardier and more able to withstand a noob. It would be much harder for you to have a montane species, like a Jackson's where you are living.

Personally I started with a panther, but with your geographic location I'd think of a veiled, or maybe a carpet for a smaller species. Both can be quite colorful - you can see my Kimani sleeping in my profile pic, and either would be a nice choice for you to start with and learn the ins and outs of controlling humidity in a desert climate. Then, when you have that figured out, maybe branch into panthers etc.

Best of luck, and for the record I love your username (I'm a scuba diver, so can completely relate), and your great attitude towards learning. Welcome to another addicting hobby! :D

Thanks-sorry-busy day yesterday :eek: and thanks about my username, scuba diving has always sounded fun but, you know, expensive hobbies :eek:

I didn't put my location becuse I felt like being silly, but this actually brings up another serious question: I dont live anywhere near area 51 (which whenever it is brought up in movies or whatever, it usually takes place in Nevada, btw) but I live in Wyoming-at about 6,000 feet in altitude AND low humidity-which may present an issue for lowland species. It does get bitterly cold here but the houses are well built and designed to keep cold out and heat in. So I have a little oil space heater in my room for the poison dart frogs originally that I got last year.

What say you, people of the forum? Will my highish altitude be an issue? If so what can I do about it?

I would build a cage that is solid on 3 sides but open on the front and top (at least mostly open on the front, and when I mean "open" I mean something like screen.) That will give you the best of both worlds, the closed walls will keep humidity and temperature more stable during winter but the screen will help pull in fresh air so the cage won't become too stagnant. Lots of live plants will also help keep the environment inside the cage more stable.

When it comes to size usually something like 4' tall by 2' wide and deep is the norm for something like an adult panther or veiled, however, if you have the space to make a wider cage I would definitely recommend that. So 4' tall and then 3-4+' wide, because horizontal space is important, even if most commercial cages only focus on height.

I would build a cage that is solid on 3 sides but open on the front and top (at least mostly open on the front, and when I mean "open" I mean something like screen.) That will give you the best of both worlds, the closed walls will keep humidity and temperature more stable during winter but the screen will help pull in fresh air so the cage won't become too stagnant. Lots of live plants will also help keep the environment inside the cage more stable.

When it comes to size usually something like 4' tall by 2' wide and deep is the norm for something like an adult panther or veiled, however, if you have the space to make a wider cage I would definitely recommend that. So 4' tall and then 3-4+' wide, because horizontal space is important, even if most commercial cages only focus on height.

Thanks! Much appreciated! I am actually an aspiring biologist/herpetologist so I definitely value your opinion.

As a dart frog/natural vivarium enthusiast, I do know my way around live plants and I know the benefits of having them inside an enclosure, so not much of an issue there.

And of course bigger is better for an adult cham, I know that male veiled chams can reach 2' with tail so having an enclosure that is as wide as the animal is doesn't seem quite right! My dream would be a male ambilobe but despite my lack of space I suppose I could start with a veiled due to my altitude and random temperature fluctuations (although mostly outdoor; I can ensure a stable temperature inside so long as we dont lose power ).

Thank you all for your input! I am researching the diet of chams now. Much to my dismay crickets (Ugh!) are a popular choice. Looks like it may be time to start culturing dubias and a few species of worms!

-Josiah

All my chams eat roaches and enjoy them far more than crickets. So don't get worry on that account. Supers, horns, silks there is far more food that isn't crickets out there now that can be ordered or picked up at a local show fairly easily.

When in doubt, keep asking questions

Hello and welcome! You've definitely come to the right place, and good for you for doing the research required before getting your Cham! I'm not that great at DIY stuff, but there are tons of people here that will be more than willing to help!

Back
Top Bottom