Welcome home, Werner's Chameleon!

SaintJimmy

Avid Member
Found this guy at Amazon Reptile for 65$. He was CB, as they told me, at least.

I love my new precious baby. I am glad to be the owner of my new Werner's. That was the first time I've ever seen one in real life!

As of now I am caring for him like I would a Jackson's Chameleon, since he is a montane species and in the same genus as the jackson's.

He will be getting 70-80% humidity during the day, with dry periods, and then maybe 2-3 misting sessions at night for 2-3 minutes each. Since I have a plastic sheet around my cage, this will be enough to keep his humidity up.

I have put my ficus in there, as well as a new magnetic food holder, a parrot ladder (waterproofed..), two twisty vines. He is quite small. The ficus gives him a lot of exploring space so far, but I plan on adding the rest of my gear into the cage eventually.

He has eaten 3 hornworms since I got him, all within 3 minutes. I placed them on the branch and he ate them. Right now he is exploring his cage slowly.

His UVB is on. I will put a 50 watt flood light in there soon, it's something I've had before that easily keeps the area up to 80-85 degrees.

I feel like my Werner's will have a happy life here. Welcome home.

Unbagging video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBQQGY8SPiA&feature=youtu.be

His first/second meal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6qoWkYROYM&feature=youtu.be

When I was unbagging him, it took me quite a while because of the staples in the top. Then I realized there was no way he could have crawled out of the bag that tall, and gently handled him up.

:)

Attachments

• IMG_4549.jpg
    IMG_4549.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 200
I've never seen one in person. I believe CarlC breeds Werners, maybe he has some posts or threads about their care. I love how your little guy nailed that hornworm. :D

I should check his posts out then!

I put a dubia on a branch for him, hopefully he eats that too. He seems a little more timid now, clinging to a branch. I wish he'd explore some more :)

He's probably full from the hornworms, lol. He'll do great, once he's all settled in. I'll be watching for his photo shoots. :)

You said you'd be watching for a photo shoot? He is very docile, and acts just like my old Jackson's. He's so cute. Just like Brave (the jackson's) he takes FOREVER to eat dubias. He sits there with them in his mouth and slowly chews!

T. Werneri by 1891Holmes, on Flickr

I will get together some info for you. I have werneri, and love my pair. They did come from Carl C. Carl is by far your best source of information.

Do not put that big heat light on him. You will cook him. He is a werneri, mine are never above 72.

I will get together some info for you. I have werneri, and love my pair. They did come from Carl C. Carl is by far your best source of information.

Do not put that big heat light on him. You will cook him. He is a werneri, mine are never above 72.

Thanks for the help so far Laurie!

I suppose I will replace his light with something with less wattage! I really do NOT want to cook my new chameleon...

Everything I have read so far said 80-85 degrees so that's what I assumed was correct. Even your adults are 70 degrees? Seems a bit low, but for a montane that sounds fine.

I have already contacted Carl and am just waiting for a PM, hopefully you both can help me.

I want to eventually get him a female, if that would be a good idea. What are the motives for breeding them? To help the CB population?

Oh man! I had no clue that light was so hot.

I found this

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/html/watts-heat-lights-lamp-heat-output.html

the same kind of light I had gets very hot... Much too hot for my little guy.

After ten minutes, it's at 140 degrees farenheit! Insane.

I guess tomorrow I will simply replace it with a 40 watt incandescent house bulb I have. It is not hot at all, but if he wants to go bask, I know he can get up very high (he is sleeping at the tip top of his tree right now) so he can reach the faint heat.

What kind of bulbs do you use for them Laurie?

Last photo of the day - I promise... ;) he is sleeping now

also I immediately took out the 50 watt flood and inserted a 40 watt incandescent. It gives off maybe 80 degrees of heat if you put your hand RIGHT UNDER IT. So I suppose it will be a-ok for my werners.

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 190
I finally had time to go watch your video's. He really looks to be in great shape. He is not a baby, you can tell by his horns. You have a score with that guy.

About temps? I always go on the low side with all my montanes. I know a lot of people have theirs warmer. I also keep the humidity high. If my humidity goes below 55 and alarm goes off on my phone to alert me, but by the time it tells me it is low, the system has started ramping fo to at least 65.

Both mine are chow hounds. My girl loves dubia and my male will not touch one. He like crickets and small silkies. Mine are both still pretty small. They are both about 5 months old and weight 4 g each.

I have each in a 16x16x30 screen cage for now. Soon he will graduate to DragonStrand cages, like my quads have, But I want them a tad bigger.

I tried the link to adcham but it did not open. Were you able to see it? If so you could copy it and pm it to me.

Talk to you later and congrats, these are some seriously cool chams.

I finally had time to go watch your video's. He really looks to be in great shape. He is not a baby, you can tell by his horns. You have a score with that guy.

About temps? I always go on the low side with all my montanes. I know a lot of people have theirs warmer. I also keep the humidity high. If my humidity goes below 55 and alarm goes off on my phone to alert me, but by the time it tells me it is low, the system has started ramping fo to at least 65.

Both mine are chow hounds. My girl loves dubia and my male will not touch one. He like crickets and small silkies. Mine are both still pretty small. They are both about 5 months old and weight 4 g each.

I have each in a 16x16x30 screen cage for now. Soon he will graduate to DragonStrand cages, like my quads have, But I want them a tad bigger.

I tried the link to adcham but it did not open. Were you able to see it? If so you could copy it and pm it to me.

Talk to you later and congrats, these are some seriously cool chams.

Thanks for the advice :) i pit a hornworm and a dubia in the branches before i left. I tested the mist king yesterday, the schedule i have it on keeps it to at least 60% all the time. There is 1 period where I let it dry a bit but thats it. Adchams must be down because it didnt open for me
Either

So cute! Congrats!

;) thank you

I am so glad you got another cham. So stinking cute!!!

I know :) he is quite docile

Back
Top Bottom