Weirdest thing ever, shot tongue at me.

SilverWolf

I have a 6 month old jackson chameleon named, Tricky. He is finishing shedding his skin. This just happened. I walked into my room and as soon as I did, the instant I started walking in the general direction where his enclosure is, I see him shoot his tongue directly at my position and hit the side of the screen enclosure. my first thought was maybe it was an ant that crawled on the side because I find one a day at that spot for the past few days. But then I walked over to him and got closer to see if he was okay, and he locked both his eyes on my eyes, and shot his tongue again! Then I moved my head a to a different spot, I just basically moved a foot or so to the right, and he followed my movement with his head and locked both eyes on me. Then he stopped. I opened his enclosure and tried to offer him some water but he turned a tad bit brown, and started leaf walking up to the top of the enclosure on the branches. Then turned green once he got up there. This was such a strange event. What could this mean and has this happened to anyone else?

I have a 6 month old jackson chameleon named, Tricky. He is finishing shedding his skin. This just happened. I walked into my room and as soon as I did, the instant I started walking in the general direction where his enclosure is, I see him shoot his tongue directly at my position and hit the side of the screen enclosure. my first thought was maybe it was an ant that crawled on the side because I find one a day at that spot for the past few days. But then I walked over to him and got closer to see if he was okay, and he locked both his eyes on my eyes, and shot his tongue again! Then I moved my head a to a different spot, I just basically moved a foot or so to the right, and he followed my movement with his head and locked both eyes on me. Then he stopped. I opened his enclosure and tried to offer him some water but he turned a tad bit brown, and started leaf walking up to the top of the enclosure on the branches. Then turned green once he got up there. This was such a strange event. What could this mean and has this happened to anyone else?
He wants your face!

If he targets your eyes, my chams are doing that too! When they hungry are, they lock both eyes on one of my eyes and trying to shot my eye! :eek:
I guess they are thinking that the eye pupil is an insect. :confused::rolleyes:

Espio sometimes thinks my fingers are food... He has shot at my thumb before and bit down on it! That booger has sharp little teeth... lol My best bet is that he associates you with food, and wanted you to get on feeding him. I tend to give Espio treats from my hand and I'll hold it between my fingers. I guess to him that means my fingers are food too.

Because your chameleon has associated you with food it may be an impulsive reaction he has sometimes now when he sees you. I've had a few chams do that in the past and its kinda interesting. If he could talk he'd probably say "feed me feed me" instead of shoot at you lol. When I walk into my Cham room all my chams instantly come to the front of the cage and stare me down because they know food/water is on its way.. These little creatures can be somewhat intelligent sometimes for having such a small brain, they just have limited ways of communicating with us.

Because your chameleon has associated you with food it may be an impulsive reaction he has sometimes now when he sees you. I've had a few chams do that in the past and its kinda interesting. If he could talk he'd probably say "feed me feed me" instead of shoot at you lol. When I walk into my Cham room all my chams instantly come to the front of the cage and stare me down because they know food/water is on its way.. These little creatures can be somewhat intelligent sometimes for having such a small brain, they just have limited ways of communicating with us.

Yes that is what I have been starting to think. I believe he had quite a few crickets that day but they were all quite small (ran out of the larger ones) so perhaps that didn't really satisfy him. If that is a method of communication, that's awesome and I hope that he does it again. lol

Yes that is what I have been starting to think. I believe he had quite a few crickets that day but they were all quite small (ran out of the larger ones) so perhaps that didn't really satisfy him. If that is a method of communication, that's awesome and I hope that he does it again. lol

Do you hand feed him?

Back
Top Bottom