Weird looking poop

Kayla Wicklund

Hello, I woke up this morning to find this weird looking feces. Is this normal? I’ve never seen anything like it before

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 99
Hello, I woke up this morning to find this weird looking feces. Is this normal? I’ve never seen anything like it before
Yeah that is not normal. But it looks like there is quite a bit of fecal all over the bottom of the cage. And it looks like your using one of the fountains which are a breeding ground for bacteria. Can you post some pics of the chameleon please.

Yes, I need to clean their cage but I don’t have enough money to buy a misting system. I even built their cage by myself to save some money

Hand-misting is a better and safer option than a waterfall. Has his fecals ever been checked for parasites and/or has he ever gone to an experienced chameleon vet? A pic of your chameleon will be really great, as well.

You said you need to clean THEIR CAGE. Is this the Jackson's chameleons...a male and a female in the ONE/SAME cage....that you didn't want to have babies from?

You said..."Yes, I need to clean their cage but I don’t have enough money to buy a misting system. I even built their cage by myself to save some money"...
Having no money doesn't stop you from removing the waterfall, a potential source of bacteria that could kill your chameleon.

You can set up a dripper in the cage with a deli cup that has a tiny hole in the bottom that drips at the rate of one or two drops per second. For a dollar or two at a dollar store you can get a hand mister to spray the cage with until you can afford a mister.

A couple of papertowels and a little soap can clean the cage as long as you make sure to get all the soap out when you're done.

These are living creatures and should be treated properly.

I
Hand-misting is a better and safer option than a waterfall. Has his fecals ever been checked for parasites and/or has he ever gone to an experienced chameleon vet? A pic of your chameleon will be really great, as well.
I’ve never checked for worms, I’m not sure how to. I am not home often enough to mist the cage as often as it should be done, but I do mist as often as I can. I don’t think there are any chameleon vets where I live. I would love to take both of them but I don’t know where I could take them

You said you need to clean THEIR CAGE. Is this the Jackson's chameleons...a male and a female in the ONE/SAME cage....that you didn't want to have babies from?

You said..."Yes, I need to clean their cage but I don’t have enough money to buy a misting system. I even built their cage by myself to save some money"...
Having no money doesn't stop you from removing the waterfall, a potential source of bacteria that could kill your chameleon.

You can set up a dripper in the cage with a deli cup that has a tiny hole in the bottom that drips at the rate of one or two drops per second. For a dollar or two at a dollar store you can get a hand mister to spray the cage with until you can afford a mister.

A couple of papertowels and a little soap can clean the cage as long as you make sure to get all the soap out when you're done.

These are living creatures and should be treated properly.
Yes, it is the same two, but I have kept a close eye on them and have noticed that the female doesn’t like the male. She displays aggressiveness towards him but I’ve never seen them fight or any signs of one. I had a dripper before but it was hard to find a place for the water to go after it dripped, so I had to put their entire cage outside(which is almost 30 lbs) every morning and bring it in every night. I realize they are living creatures and I love them very dearly. I clean their cage very often, it is just time to do it again. I apologize that I didn’t clean it before taking the photo, but I was more concerned about their well-being. I’m 17 with two jobs and a full time swimming career, so please cut me some slack. I’m trying my best.

Yes, it is the same two, but I have kept a close eye on them and have noticed that the female doesn’t like the male. She displays aggressiveness towards him but I’ve never seen them fight or any signs of one. I had a dripper before but it was hard to find a place for the water to go after it dripped, so I had to put their entire cage outside(which is almost 30 lbs) every morning and bring it in every night. I realize they are living creatures and I love them very dearly. I clean their cage very often, it is just time to do it again. I apologize that I didn’t clean it before taking the photo, but I was more concerned about their well-being. I’m 17 with two jobs and a full time swimming career, so please cut me some slack. I’m trying my best.
If you are not home long enough to mist how can you keep a close eye on them?
Chameleons cannot be housed together. You need to separate them ASAP and take their fecal into a vet for a fecal check.

Hi Kayla, sorry your Cham is having odd poop, I’m sure it’s stressful. I mean this in the most gentle way possible, but something has to give. They need water/misting. Maintaining the proper humity is critical. Misting systems are expensive, there are other options if you are handy. I made my own auto mister for about 50 bucks. There are how to videos on YouTube. You have to take the water feature out, no way around that. Also, putting paper towels at the bottom that can easily be replaced will help you and them.

Last edited:
I

I’ve never checked for worms, I’m not sure how to. I am not home often enough to mist the cage as often as it should be done, but I do mist as often as I can. I don’t think there are any chameleon vets where I live. I would love to take both of them but I don’t know where I could take them

Some images of the setup and Chams

Attachments

• 02BDFE2E-BC1B-4C9E-A062-1AF1D1B5F3EA.jpeg
    02BDFE2E-BC1B-4C9E-A062-1AF1D1B5F3EA.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 94
  • 45D49202-A47B-48D8-9A69-F2B99BD3A0CE.jpeg
    45D49202-A47B-48D8-9A69-F2B99BD3A0CE.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 313B68D8-6D6C-4083-BE02-5F2E964260F5.jpeg
    313B68D8-6D6C-4083-BE02-5F2E964260F5.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 1E3DCBD4-F515-4594-B223-758ED8D589DA.jpeg
    1E3DCBD4-F515-4594-B223-758ED8D589DA.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 54206E6D-07F3-4F31-B148-83276AE6F60E.jpeg
    54206E6D-07F3-4F31-B148-83276AE6F60E.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 8245FB6B-18F2-4999-8DDF-9949E5371D6A.jpeg
    8245FB6B-18F2-4999-8DDF-9949E5371D6A.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 80
Hi Kayla, sorry your Cham is having odd poop, I’m sure it’s stressful. I mean this in the most gentle way possible, but something has to give. They need water/misting. Maintaining the proper humity is critical. Misting systems are expensive, there are other options if you are handy. I made my own auto mister for about 50 bucks. There are how to videos on YouTube. You have to take the water feature out, no way around that. Also, putting paper towels at the bottom that can easily replace will help you and them.
Thank you, I’ll definitely do that

They absolutely in no way should be housed together.... THis is extremely stressful for them. She is displaying aggressiveness because she does not want him near her. And all he will want to do is try to mate with her. More then likely the female will become so stressed from the constant interaction that she gets sick and dies.

ALSO YOU WILL END UP WITH MANY MANY BABIES. If you are not able to buy stuff for these guys how are you going to care for the many babies that will come from having them together. She will retain sperm and can have multiple clutches.

There is no way to even know which one is having the issue with the fecal/urate because they are together. But it could be anything from illness, to stress, to a parasite issue.

Last edited:
You said..."Yes, it is the same two, but I have kept a close eye on them and have noticed that the female doesn’t like the male. She displays aggressiveness towards him but I’ve never seen them fight or any signs of one"....as has been said...they are showing this behaviour because the female is likely already gravid and letting the male know that she is off limits. It's bpvery stressful for the female to have to keep doing this. In the wild they just move away from each other...in a cage they can't get rid of each other so they are constantly stressed.it will kill one of them.

You said..." I had a dripper before but it was hard to find a place for the water to go after it dripped, so I had to put their entire cage outside(which is almost 30 lbs) every morning and bring it in every night"... You could put a dcontainer under the cage to catch the extra water from the dripper....or you could have a container in the cage that would catch the water..but put a piece of screen over the top of it so they can't drink the water that has dripped in the container so they won't get bacteria.

You said..."I realize they are living creatures and I love them very dearly"...then you need to give them what they need to live a good healthy life and not cause them health issues by keeping them in bad circumstances.

You said..." I clean their cage very often, it is just time to do it again. I apologize that I didn’t clean it before taking the photo, but I was more concerned about their well-being"... It would take you like 5 minutes a day to pick up the poops. If you want a pet you should look after it properly or give it to someone who will. They deserve to be looked after properly.

You said..."I’m 17 with two jobs and a full time swimming career, so please cut me some slack. I’m trying my best"...it's not me who you have to answer to...it's yourself and the two chameleons whose lives you have taken responsibility for. I'm not trying to be harsh....just explain things to you.

Have you thought about what you're going to do when she has the babies in a while? Then you might have a dozen more critters to look after.

Along with everything else that's been stated, which I completely agree with, the cage needs to be filled in much more, with tons of branches, plants, and vines. When they're inside during the day, do they have UVB light? Looking on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace is a great way to get a cheap second cage, just make sure to properly clean it out beforehand.

I

The vet checks the fecals for parasites, not you. If you give us a location, we can help you find a good cham vet with experience. However, it won't be cheap to go to the vet

Hi Kayla, I know this is all very stressful and frustrating but all of these people have helped me so many times and I would trust them with my cham any day. They have given you so much info that can be overwhelming but if you do not do has they suggest then you will have even more stress on your hands. Taking care of babies will be the hardest of it so please separate them in hopes that they haven't mated yet. I really hope you continue to come here for help and take the advice given.

Back
Top Bottom