Weight of Panther Chamleons

stevereecy

Hey all,

Just trying to get a feel for the normal and extreme ends of the scale for a Panther chameleons weight. What do you have, and what does it weigh?

Steve

Most full grown male WC are about 75 grams whereas most CB are about 90 to 110 grams. Females tend to be about 10 grams less than those previously mentioned.

-chris

Howdy,

Here's a plot of my male Nosy Be' panther's weight starting at 3 months old. I haven't added the last year's data but it is still mostly hovering at 250 grams anyway. The drop from 274 to 250 was when I decided that he was getting fat rather than just growing. That's when I cut his food intake down and he stabilized at 250 grams.
Weight11.jpg

NosyBePanther08-20-06.jpg

That is huge dave...what are you feeding that guy. I would love to see a pic of him as well. Also he reached his peak at about 2 years old? I guess mine are still growing...I have a few in the 150s and I have almost never seen a WC come in over 100g. That is interesting.

-chris

That is huge

That is huge! What prompted me to start this thread is that I have a Nosy Be female who is "barely" gravid, and weighs 130 grams. She's the biggest female I've seen, as most Panthers I've seen have been about 130 grams for the male and 60 to 80 grams for the females. And yeah...WC is usually 2/3 of those figures. I typically do Ambanjas, so my experience is mostly limited to that morph.

Makes me wonder if Nosy's are naturally larger...or perhaps there is some large morph strain that me and Dave W. have. Any other data out there? Right now, with my female being so big, and gravid...and therefore snappy, she scares the hell out of me. Typically I don't worry about the snappy females...

Here's a link to her photo

http://www.chameleonplantation.com/blog/?attachment_id=99

Steve

Last edited:
sorry my my ignorance but what is wc and cb???

wc=wild caught
cb=captive born
also, there is cbb=captive born and bred, but lots of folks use cbb and cb interchangeably.

FWIW, wc animals are difficult...always try and get a cb or cbb if you can.

Steve

Just a follow up. She went gravid, and at her max, tipped the scales at just shy of 140 grams before she stopped eating. Might have passed 140 grams if I'd have weighed her at the right time. Now she's digging. Feel pretty sure these will be viable but my fingers are so crossed they hurt.

Dave, if you want to cross these lines, let me know. I'll have babies to barter for baby batter. We need Nosy's that will tip over cars. That would rule.

Steve

Most full grown male WC are about 75 grams whereas most CB are about 90 to 110 grams. Females tend to be about 10 grams less than those previously mentioned.

-chris

Gee Chris, I was going to say that seems awfully small :confused: but I only have my guy to go by.

and Dave - HUGE!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I think Cy would simply POP! if he ever got near that big! How big was your guy?? (s/v length)

Cyrus, at 2 years and 3 months now, was at his peak weight in Nov (I think it was his highest weight) 155g and was not fat, just average. He was one month shy of 2 years. His is hovering at 140-144 right now but is having some serious health issues and is eating minimally so considering everything, I am happy with what he is holding. Btw, he is CBB.

....and Dave - HUGE!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I think Cy would simply POP! if he ever got near that big! How big was your guy?? (s/v length)...
Howdy Lele,

Back in August of 2006 he was about 8 inches snout-to-vent and about 18 inches tip-to-tip. He wasn't stretched-out much for either measurement though. Before I put him on a diet, he peaked at 275 grams.

That is huge dave...what are you feeding that guy. I would love to see a pic of him as well. Also he reached his peak at about 2 years old? I guess mine are still growing...I have a few in the 150s and I have almost never seen a WC come in over 100g. That is interesting.

-chris

My monterous WC Diego is 134 and EXTREMLEY skinny still...I think i told you about him.

Jake

Howdy Lele,

Back in August of 2006 he was about 8 inches snout-to-vent and about 18 inches tip-to-tip. He wasn't stretched-out much for either measurement though. Before I put him on a diet, he peaked at 275 grams.

Cy's about 6 to 6.5" s/v, never bothered to measure him with his tail, but he's easily 14-16". I wouldn't mind seeing him at about 155-160g if he gets better, but no more than that. He's never been a fat guy; never has had a big appetite, just ate what he wants and that's it. Sound like yours could get a bit piggy??? :p

Cham my CB ambilobe panther chameleon at last weighing at about 10months is 141g, and measures about 16 and a half inches from head to tail.

Most of my adult male panthers are in the range of 230-280 grams.
I have a few that are smaller but make up for it with great colors.

Steve, your female nosy is gorgeous! I love her bright orange with blue stripes, I'm so jealous, she is HUGE.
Our fully grown WC male Nosy, Vega weighs in at about 170g. We have had smaller CB female nosys that weighed around 50g at around 8mo. Here are Vega and I this past weekend
100_5176.jpg

100_5151-1.jpg

I think sometimes he feels like a pedafile:
DSC09897.jpg

Honey, the fully grown rehab nosy that we just lost was a big girl before she went down hill, she weighed in the 90's when we got her, but dropped to the 50's before we lost her:(
Weights on my CH ambis are 95g for 11mo old male Mufasa and Sarabi, his 10mo girl was 54g before she got prego and now is up to 70g.

Steve, your female nosy is gorgeous! I love her bright orange with blue stripes, I'm so jealous, she is HUGE.

Thanks. You're not so bad looking yourself! :)

Yeah, I was trying to explain to my wife how unusual it was that she was so big. I said it was kind of like a cavewoman who could whip the butts of most cave men. She outweighs my male Nosy by 15 grams. So when she's not in the mood, he doesn't even have the courage to ask! :) I wanna eventually cross her with a really big male. It would be cool to create a line of exceptionally large ones.

Steve

Liz-Vega looks amazing! That picture of him by the pool is great! :)
We need to set up a date soon for him and Nippy-I am giving her a few more months to grow-especially after seeing how big he is!

Steve, from what I understand large parents would not necessarily suggest larger babies :( It would be interesting to hear others opinions.
Julie, we would be delighted to get together sometime when Nippy is ready...I would be interested in seeing some recent pictures of her.

Steve, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had a question for you on your female's pic. I notice she's kind of flabby/swollen around the neck. I have a female ambilobe that is kind of the same way, sometimes when she gets startled, that flabby part swells almost to her front legs. I've been wondering if it is some sort of infection or edema, but she doesn't show any other signs of sickness. Yours is the first other pic I've seen with something similar.

Back
Top Bottom