Weight

Amadeus_mom

It has come to my attention that my panther chameleon, Amadeus, is overweight? I feel like he has not been interested in food lately and I’ve tried offering different bugs but he doesn’t want anything.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to promote weight loss and get him engaged in eating again?

Attachments

• IMG_5715.jpeg
    IMG_5715.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5721.jpeg
    IMG_5721.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5725.jpeg
    IMG_5725.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 42
That’s a lot of superworms in his cup. Feed less of less fatty and better feeders. Try a variety of crickets, roaches, bsfl, etc. Several on line vendors (including some forum sponsors) sell variety feeder packs. Give him a couple of days with no food and then start him on 2-3 feeders, 3 days a week. Regular weights using a kitchen gram scale will help monitor his weight loss progress. Also look for his casque to flatten out from its current puffed state. When he reaches his goal, you can maintain him on a diet of 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week. You can give occasional treats, but only of 1-2 superworms or other treat bug.
IMG_0151.jpeg

That’s a lot of superworms in his cup. Feed less of less fatty and better feeders. Try a variety of crickets, roaches, bsfl, etc. Several on line vendors (including some forum sponsors) sell variety feeder packs. Give him a couple of days with no food and then start him on 2-3 feeders, 3 days a week. Regular weights using a kitchen gram scale will help monitor his weight loss progress. Also look for his casque to flatten out from its current puffed state. When he reaches his goal, you can maintain him on a diet of 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week. You can give occasional treats, but only of 1-2 superworms or other treat bug.
View attachment 340614
Those were super worms but they were way too big so I cut them. He usually gets dubia roaches but I was trying to see if he would eat the super worms because he hasn’t been interested in food. I’ve tried feeding him crickets in the past and he tried one or two but didn’t seem to like them. I will try feeding him some crickets again to see.

Hello and welcome!! You have a beautiful boy there!!

How long has it been since he ate? What would you feed you boy? My panther got attached to super worms and for a while that was all he would eat. I had to stop offering supers and offer only healthy bugs for a few weeks before he stopped being a 'picky eater'.

This video helped me a lot during this process

Now I feed my chameleons on a schedule: Monday/Wednesday/Fridays 3-5 healthy bugs, I rotate from dubia roaches, silkworms and crickets. Then on Saturday is their "treat bug day" where I give them 3-5 treats such as superworms or wax worms.

IMG_6151.png

I checked his weight and he is actually on the smaller side of what a panther chameleon 1(+) year(s) old should weight. He is at 3.8 ounces (or 107.728 grams).

He was in the mood when I posted this but things have picked up. The last thing he ate was 2 dubia roaches with some Arcadia calcium with D3 and vitamin A.

Thank god I am going to the NARBC on Sunday because I haven’t been able to find a huge variety of feeders lately. A nice change of pace should keep him interested.

View attachment 341043
I checked his weight and he is actually on the smaller side of what a panther chameleon 1(+) year(s) old should weight. He is at 3.8 ounces (or 107.728 grams).

He was in the mood when I posted this but things have picked up. The last thing he ate was 2 dubia roaches with some Arcadia calcium with D3 and vitamin A.

Thank god I am going to the NARBC on Sunday because I haven’t been able to find a huge variety of feeders lately. A nice change of pace should keep him interested.
Hi what supplements are you using exactly and routine?

Back
Top Bottom