Weight gain.

Ares05

Chameleon Enthusiast
Amaro is about 7 1/2 months old. He is 115 grams now!

My only concern is he is gaining weight at a decently fast rate. Is this normal for a chameleon his age?

He eats 12-15 medium sized crickets per day. I know around 8-9 months is when you start to slow down their food consumption.

Pictures of him:
IMG_3620.JPG
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.50.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.48.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 2.51.38 PM.png

* Sorry for the messy background. Could only get good lighting by sitting on the bed.

Amaro is about 7 1/2 months old. He is 115 grams now!

My only concern is he is gaining weight at a decently fast rate. Is this normal for a chameleon his age?

He eats 12-15 medium sized crickets per day. I know around 8-9 months is when you start to slow down their food consumption.

Pictures of him: View attachment 260299View attachment 260302View attachment 260303View attachment 260304

* Sorry for the messy background. Could only get good lighting by sitting on the bed.
Around 110-120 grams is generally the time his food can be slowed down, or so I’ve read/heard. You can absolutely cut back to 5 reasonably sized food items 3 days a week. This is, of course, my opinion, and please consult others as well.

Thank you! He is starting to look alot like his sire. I love his teal spots, and bright yellow bands!

His grip is getting stronger as he gets bigger. The little bugger has very sharp nails!

So do I wait until he is a little older, or start trying every other day feedings? Don't want him to get overweight. I understand it's a gradual process to transition him to every other day feeding? How would I go about that? This boy loves his food.

Thank you! He is starting to look alot like his sire. I love his teal spots, and bright yellow bands!

His grip is getting stronger as he gets bigger. The little bugger has very sharp nails!

So do I wait until he is a little older, or start trying every other day feedings? Don't want him to get overweight. I understand it's a gradual process to transition him to every other day feeding? How would I go about that? This boy loves his food.
Now’s the time. I switched my guy immediately, but you can transition him slowly if you want.

Got it. I think I may try a gradual method. Every now and then I will run out of crickets before a new batch comes in, and he has to go a day without food. He does not react well. He wont bask. He will sit where the food cup normally goes, and become extremely aggressive.

For a gradual method, would it be something like giving him normal amounts of food on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday, then slowly reducing the amounts you give on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, until its nothing? Then proceed to reduce the amounts you give on the food-days, until you get down to 5-8 feeders? Am I overthinking it?

Got it. I think I may try a gradual method. Every now and then I will run out of crickets before a new batch comes in, and he has to go a day without food. He does not react well. He wont bask. He will sit where the food cup normally goes, and become extremely aggressive.

For a gradual method, would it be something like giving him normal amounts of food on Saturday, Tuesday and Thursday, then slowly reducing the amounts you give on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday, until its nothing? Then proceed to reduce the amounts you give on the food-days, until you get down to 5-8 feeders? Am I overthinking it?
You might be overthinking it. He might be used to an abundance of food, but less than a year with you can’t undo thousands of years of evolution. What I’d do is simply feed him every other day, 3-5 food items. After a bit, go down to 3 days a week. Either way, the goal is 3-5 reasonable sized feeders 3 days a week. However you get there is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom