Website Recommendations for live feed?

Jeyrah

Next week I'll finally be purchasing my male baby veiled chameleon after MONTHS of research. The one thing I still would like to know is if there are any recommended websites where you can buy live feeder insects? I know of some good places locally, but this pandemic is keeping me home. I'm looking at quality vs. price vs. quantity. I've found a few but I'd love to hear from others about their experiences. Any to avoid especially? I was going to raise dubia roaches but I heard they give allergic reactions over time and I have two very young children.

The allergic reaction thing is overblown, it is possible, but mainly for people that are heavily working with them or surrounded by them on a daily basis.

Also, don't take it from me, but research has shown that children that grow up around mice and roaches develop much healthier immune systems. Don't take that as I think kids should be surrounded by that lol, I have an almost 2 year old and an almost 1 year... I'd never want them living in filth, but exposing them to small amounts can do them good(like a small colony of reptile feeders). Our immune systems were made to be around crap, not to be sheltered from it.

Another thing to note, crickets and many other feeders can cause allergies as well. It is the dusty frass.

And to answer your question, I like Josh's frogs, rainbowmealworms has good reviews, ghanns for crickets, and then most of all I like buying from forum members here.

The allergic reaction thing is overblown, it is possible, but mainly for people that are heavily working with them or surrounded by them on a daily basis.

Also, don't take it from me, but research has shown that children that grow up around mice and roaches develop much healthier immune systems. Don't take that as I think kids should be surrounded by that lol, I have an almost 2 year old and an almost 1 year... I'd never want them living in filth, but exposing them to small amounts can do them good(like a small colony of reptile feeders). Our immune systems were made to be around crap, not to be sheltered from it.

That's an interesting point, never even thought of it that way. I used to have geckos and tarantulas and I kept crickets and super worms for them.. although that's now going back 10 years ago. I've always wanted a chameleon now that I can afford it but was just nervous about feeders around my 2 1/2-year-old son and especially my 3-month son.

That's an interesting point, never even thought of it that way. I used to have geckos and tarantulas and I kept crickets and super worms for them.. although that's now going back 10 years ago. I've always wanted a chameleon now that I can afford it but was just nervous about feeders around my 2 1/2-year-old son and especially my 3-month son.

Completely understand! I'm very protective of my two little ones as well. I held off from a chameleon for years and years as well for the reason of feeders. I didn't want to keep roaches and I thought they needed them. Fast forward... now I have a separate bug room... lol. I do wear a mask and sometimes gloves when going through bins, but just as a precaution since I have so many colonies. *Knocks on wood* no allergic reactions yet. I always wash my hands and even my face/arms if I'm digging through bins for a while.

I like Dubiaroaches.com
I believe they're a forum sponsor too.
I found them to be one of the least expensive and they are good quality IMO.
Members have some on deck too I believe.

Another thing to add, don't buy into the dubia propaganda. A lot of sites sell them and talk them up because of how cheap they are and easy to breed on massive scales. Fact is, most chams don't like them. If yours does that's great, but I'd start with something more palatable for chams.

My suggestion is Lindasgonebuggie.com. You can get Silkworms, Super Worms, Black Soldier Fly Larvae, Horn Worms, Blue Bottle Fly Larvae, and Discoid Roaches. Linda will size the feeders to what you need, and her 100-count $5.50 packs make it easy to offer variety with a low shipping cost.
As a side note, Discoids move faster than Dubia, eliciting the chameleon to strike, are legal in Florida, are the same care and size as Dubia, and don't climb smooth surfaces.

CHEERS!

Nick

My suggestion is Lindasgonebuggie.com. You can get Silkworms, Super Worms, Black Soldier Fly Larvae, Horn Worms, Blue Bottle Fly Larvae, and Discoid Roaches. Linda will size the feeders to what you need, and her 100-count $5.50 packs make it easy to offer variety with a low shipping cost.
As a side note, Discoids move faster than Dubia, eliciting the chameleon to strike, are legal in Florida, are the same care and size as Dubia, and don't climb smooth surfaces.

Oh, awesome! The male I'm receiving is gonna be just about 3 months old. I was gonna start him off on 1/4th crickets that I'm gut loading ahead of time. But I wanted to introduce him to some black fly larvae (I'm excited about him hunting the flies!), and I also wanna try to find silkworms but they're always sold out on Josh's frogs. I'll give Linda's site a gander.

I use dubiaroaches.com and rainbowmealworms.com

I don't think you need to worry about the babies. Just make sure the feeder bins are where they can not get to them. My daughter at that age got into everything. :)

I prefer discoid roaches over Dubia much more active and imo are the more healthier of the two also they haven't been proven to cause allergic reactions. I use repitilesupply.com for them and I use lllreptile for my cricket needs. Hornworms and silkworms I always look around when buying as they are harder to get and I look for the fastest delivery.

Dubiaroaches.com is great, they have a good selection on feeders and they work with you right away in case something goes wrong with your order.

To be fair lol, what half respectable place wouldn't work with you if they screw things up?

Sorry dubia are just so overrated. I have trouble seeing them recommended over and over only to follow with "my cham won't eat them"

Last edited:
To be fair lol, what half respectable place wouldn't work with you if they screw things up?

Sorry dubia are just so overrated. I have trouble seeing them recommended over and over only to follow with "my cham won't eat them"
Yeah you're right but I'm only speaking from my experience. They've helped resolve issues right away. And like I said they have a good selection on feeders not just dubias. Buuuut OP if you're really looking for some good roaches James here is the person for that. Great options and prices.

I did some exploring with the recommendations and I decided on Lindagonebuggie's baby pack. $20+12 in shipping and I get 25 ct baby hornworms, 150 ct 1/4 crickets, & 100 ct bsfl. Everything I wanted and affordable. Thank you @nick barta !!!

Yeah you're right but I'm only speaking from my experience. They've helped resolve issues right away. And like I said they have a good selection on feeders not just dubias. Buuuut OP if you're really looking for some good roaches James here is the person for that. Great options and prices.

TBH I just saw dubia and jumped the gun. I've heard good things about dubiaroaches.com and if I needed dubia or whatever else they have available, I'd probably buy from them too. I've just spent too much time with feeders, it's made me a snob :confused: didn't mean it like I was criticizing anyone here. I just would like to see the general shift of advice go from dubia since so many people struggle feeding them. I mean, if they do work, they are great simple feeders

TBH I just saw dubia and jumped the gun. I've heard good things about dubiaroaches.com and if I needed dubia or whatever else they have available, I'd probably buy from them too. I've just spent too much time with feeders, it's made me a snob :confused: didn't mean it like I was criticizing anyone here. I just would like to see the general shift of advice go from dubia since so many people struggle feeding them. I mean, if they do work, they are great simple feeders
Trust me I've seen your options on roaches and if I wasnt so against them I would try them all lol just dubias seem the least roachy lol in my opinion atleast lol and with the wife it's just impossible lol

Back
Top Bottom