Weak tongue..?? Can this be fixed??

MissMeela

Established Member
I just adopted a 2 year old female Veiled. She looks healthy and well cared for. Came with a large custom made enclosure and she seems to be adjusting quite well already!! (Yay!)
The only concern I have is today when I went to feed her, her tongue doesn't work very well It was as if she just wanted to bite at it rather than flick her tongue to catch it. Her previous owner just passed away so I'm not sure how she was being fed. If I work with her, and try to get her to "hunt" for her bugs, does anyone think it's possible to gain strength or correct function of her tongue?? I'd rather her be/eat normal rather than relying specifically on me to feed her (by hand).

I just adopted a 2 year old female Veiled. She looks healthy and well cared for. Came with a large custom made enclosure and she seems to be adjusting quite well already!! (Yay!)
The only concern I have is today when I went to feed her, her tongue doesn't work very well It was as if she just wanted to bite at it rather than flick her tongue to catch it. Her previous owner just passed away so I'm not sure how she was being fed. If I work with her, and try to get her to "hunt" for her bugs, does anyone think it's possible to gain strength or correct function of her tongue?? I'd rather her be/eat normal rather than relying specifically on me to feed her (by hand).
She tried once or twice to "use" her tongue, so I'm thinking she must've been fed all her food one by one or something..!? After the 3rd bug/worm she just stuck her tongue out but didn't even shoot it, I touched the worm to her tongue and she just tried to bite at it as if that was more natural..!? Please tell me this could be reversed/relearned!?!

Tongue issues can be the result if an infection or an injury or a nutrient imbalance or even dehydration. In most cases the problem can be solved but we need to figure out what's causing it.

In your other post she looks very dehydrated. Maybe she injured her tongue before you got her and it needs to heal.

In your other post she looks very dehydrated. Maybe she injured her tongue before you got her and it needs to heal.
Well, she did seem quite hungry. I thought for sure that I'd have to entice her to eat seeing as I had just moved her the day before. But she was really hungry.. and maybe like you and kinyonga suggested that's she dehydrated!? She is so much smaller than my male, and I've been trying to get as much advice and information about female veileds so I can be successful in raising her and possibly young ones eventually!! Here's another picture of her from last night when I got her home..
20171112_191053.jpg

Her eyes do seem a little sunken, don't they? Ugh! Just got her cage all set up late and put her right to bed shortly after. Well, fingers crossed that her tongue issues and dehydration issues could go hand in hand and that I'll get that changed very soon!!

Attachments

• 20171112_191155.jpg
    20171112_191155.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 143
One thing I was curious about is how she ate/hunted her crickets bcuz her cage is huge and there was so much stuff, 4 plants, huge stick/logs, egg-laying bin.. seemed to be too cluttered but at the same time, many spots for bugs to hide and not even climb to where she could catch them..?! I wish knew more about how she was raised. I know the lady loved her so much, but her family members were supposed to have taken care of her this last week after her passing. Probably didn't get much to eat/drink in that week..!?

She also looks thin. I understand, I also have a female veiled. What time was the last picture taken? she should be awake with the lights on. Also it may just be the way my phone is showing the picture, but her left thigh looks a little swollen, but again may just be the angle of the picture and my phone. You could cup feed her so it's easier for her to get food and you don't have feeders crawling around and getting loose.

She also looks thin. I understand, I also have a female veiled. What time was the last picture taken? she should be awake with the lights on. Also it may just be the way my phone is showing the picture, but her left thigh looks a little swollen, but again may just be the angle of the picture and my phone. You could cup feed her so it's easier for her to get food and you don't have feeders crawling around and getting loose.
Well, I had her closed in a box on the drive home and while I was cleaning and redoing her cage so she would be less stressed. So that picture was taken shortly after I opened it, so she was asleep at first then started to wake up.. As far as her leg being a little bigger on the one side, I'll have to look closer at that tomorrow! But as of right now, I kinda think it was the way she was laying/holding into the stick in the box.. if you look closely, there's a side sick and I think one foot is further forward on that one...lol I'll try to get another picture tomorrow. I do use a cup to feed greens and worms, but I usually like to toss crickets in for the"hunt" I guess you would say. I do this with Zeus, my male, so I know he gets his veggies with his vitamin and calcium in the cup, then free- toss crickets in for him to eat when he feels like it.

I'll check back in tomorrow with an update!! Wish me (her) luck!! Thanks, just worried about this little girl!! She is so sweet already so I can't wait till she decides that she likes me!

Back
Top Bottom