Weak female veiled

Stalker

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Female Veiled Chameleon ... around year and 5 months old. I'm looking after her for year and 2 months.

Handling - very rarely ... once a week maybe.

Feeding - im feeding her with crickets, zophobas morio, mealworms and once a month waxworm.

Supplements - repti calcium withouth d3 every day. rept calcium with d3 once every 2 weeks. reptivite once every month.

Watering - spray bottle 2-3 times a day. Yes i see her drinking water.

Fecal Description - one white part and 1 brown part.
never done a fecal ...

History - the only thing is a problem a year and and 2 months ago when i bought her ... She caught a cold and i raised the temperatures with 1-2 degrees C within 3 days she was back to normal ... nothing since that. 2 months ago she layed eggs for first time. She layed 34 eggs without any problems.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - it's a combo cage most of which is glass with holes for ventilation. 90x45x60 cm WxDxH

Lighting - im using exo terra repti glo 5.0 and for heating during the summer im not using anything (there is no need) ... the daily lighting schedule is 12 hours day/night.

Temperature - basking temp is 30-32 C and during the summer the floor temp is around 28 C. Overnight temperatures drop to 24-25 C.

Humidity - I am using exo terra hygrometer ... the humidity is 60-80 %. I'm using spray bottle 2-3 times a day. Spraying only if the cage is dry.

Plants - im using live plants at the moment only a pothos in her cage but it is a very big one.

Placement - I'ts in my room its not a room with a high traffic i'd say a low. No fans, air vents. The terraium top is almost reaching the ceiling.

Humid continental climate with warm to hot (and often humid) summers, and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters

so the problem is yesterday around 10pm i heard a noise coming from her terraium and when i turned the lights on i saw that she was on the ground. Today when i waked up (around 7 am) i saw her on the bottom of the care trying to climb up but she was too weak to do so. She grips for the branch but she is too weak to hold herself. I succeeded in giving her food and water. There were no problems till yesterday evening. Now she is sleeping on a dry moss in the bottom of the cage. She have normal coloration, normal reactions but she is very weak. Her eyes are not sunken. Do you have any suggestions ?
The problem is there are no good vets in Bulgaria ... Chameleons are not popular animals here.
I also have a male Veiled Chameleon and have no problems with him.

Are you saying you use the repti glo for heat?
First of all, if its the uvb bulb, it doesnt give off heat, and you say your not using it in the summer? Uvb bulbs have to be used 100% of the time of the chameleon will get MBD.
Also, please use a reptisun 5.0 for a uvb bulb. Thanks. :) That would be your main problem. I will read over your post and tell you what else you could change in a sec.

well you missunderstood me probably the mistake is in what i wrote in the first post ... i am using the UVB non stop 100% of the time i'm saying during summer i don't need heating ... during the summer its hot here so there is no need for extra heating and unfortunately i can buy only repti glo 5.0 ... and it is hard to find 90cm linear tube ... only with a special delivery

well you missunderstood me probably the mistake is in what i wrote in the first post ... i am using the UVB non stop 100% of the time i'm saying during summer i don't need heating ... during the summer its hot here so there is no need for extra heating and unfortunately i can buy only repti glo 5.0 ... and it is hard to find 90cm linear tube ... only with a special delivery

Yes, I misunderstood you. Im sorry. :)
But im wondering how long have you had that bulb?
Your chameleon has MBD, no doubt about it. Maybe you can reverse it. Can you please post a picture of her legs? Thanks.:)

Yes, I misunderstood you. Im sorry. :)
But im wondering how long have you had that bulb?
Your chameleon has MBD, no doubt about it. Maybe you can reverse it. Can you please post a picture of her legs? Thanks.:)

i've been using the bulb for about a year. I've read that i can use it 1 year so i have to change it this month. I will make a photo and post it but cant do that right now. I'll do it first thing tommorow.

This doesn't necessarily mean the cham has MBD, a few pics would be helpful in seeing her current condition. One of the pros can then help you out more. Has she laid eggs recently? Maybe in the plants soil?

i've been using the bulb for about a year. I've read that i can use it 1 year so i have to change it this month. I will make a photo and post it.

Yup. You might want to change it every 6 months, if you can. But, another thing that might be going wrong is, Does the uvb bulb pass through glass? Or does it set on screen? :)

i've been using the bulb for about a year. I've read that i can use it 1 year so i have to change it this month. I will make a photo and post it but cant do that right now. I'll do it first thing tommorow.

You need to replace repti-glo bulbs every six months or so. Well it could be very possible your cham has not had any UVB for a few months.

You need to replace repti-glo bulbs every six months or so. Well it could be very possible your cham has not had any UVB for a few months.

Yeah, I would change your bulb asap. And if you can, Change it to a reptisun 5.0 tube bulb.

now she can't lay in the plant soil
and no the top of the terrarium is made of mesh only

i've ordered a linear tube and i am waiting for it
unfortunately here i can find only repti glo ...

now she can't lay in the plant soil
and no the top of the terrarium is made of mesh only

i've ordered a linear tube and i am waiting for it
unfortunately here i can find only repti glo ...

Well, repti glo is fine. Its better than the compacts. :) Well its seems you did most everything right. I think your repti glo went out... Also, what kind of calcium are you using everyday? :)

Has she ever laid eggs?
You said..."now she can't lay in the plant soil"...why can't she lay them there?
Does she have a place to dig to lay eggs? If not, she could be eggbound. Some pictures might help.

Has she ever laid eggs?
You said..."now she can't lay in the plant soil"...why can't she lay them there?
Does she have a place to dig to lay eggs? If not, she could be eggbound. Some pictures might help.

2 months ago she layed eggs for first time. She layed 34 eggs without any problems.
she can't lay eggs in the plant soil because i put a mesh on it to be sure that she doesn't try to and she have a laying bin in the enclosure.

here are the pictures i promised
can't make them without the flash because without it the pic is blury

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 245
  • picture2.jpg
    picture2.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 256
Well you should definitely put down a laying bin as a precaution, some of the problems you mentioned could be an egg issue or also also many other issues. More people will most likely chime in tomorrow.

She has a swelling at the left wrist....could be gout. If it is it might be hurting her to grip things. You need a vet to confirm it. If its not gout it might be an infection which could also be painful.

She doesn't look well IMHO....so I would take her to a vets.

i will take her to a vet but i will have to wait till monday :X although im not sure he wll help, as i mentioned in the earlyer posts chameleons are not popular around here and the vets don't know much about them and also see them rarely
i know that if it is MBD and gout can be confirmed with blood work
and if it is an infection how can it be confirmed ?
I'm sorry for asking these questions but need to atleast point the vet. This might sound crazy but if i don't it might cost my chams life ....

If there's not a vet who's good with reptiles, maybe you can find one with a lot of bird experience? They aren't that far off the evolutionary line from birds and that might be an easier fit.

Back
Top Bottom