We Took In a Rescue From SPCA Last Night

jannb

Chameleon Enthusiast
I had a message from a friend and a call from my vet Friday that the Key West SPCA confiscated a chameleon and some other animals from a cruelty situation. The guy that runs the SPCA didn't know much at all about chameleon and this chameleon was in trouble and needed someone right away to start caring for her as she was not eating nor drinking. The lady at the home she was took from had no lights and this poor girl had never had a live feeder before this morning. She was fed can of worms and can of crickets. I am surprised she is still alive. She slowly sipped water from a dropper for two hours this morning and we've got 4 small hornworms down her. The first two we put in her mourth and the next two she actually shot and ate on her own. I have a vet appointment for Andy tomorrow and will take Maggie along. We named her Maggie and will keep her if Dr. Doug and I can get her fixed. She is extremely skinny, scrapes on her face and body, could have eggs and looks like she's had her back bone broke before along with some ribs and who knows what else. If this little girl makes it she will be treated like a princess the rest of her life.

Meet Maggie, last night on the car ride home.

IMG_1138.JPG

This morning after drinking and eating

IMG_1139.JPG

Right now we are keeping her in a small cage because she was falling out of a short free range and
we didn't want her to get hurt even worse.

IMG_1137.JPG

Last edited:
Great job Jann she should be recover soon under ur care,post some more pics later when she is getting better

Poor girl!!!! You are her saving grace Jann!!! If anyone can pull her through this it's you!!
Saying prayers for sweet Maggie and I can't wait to see follow up pics and reports on her!

Thank you for all the kind words. This girl can really use the well wishes and prayers. I keep telling myself that she might not make it but those that know me know just how emotional I am and how hard death is for me. I normally try to steer away from anything or any species that I think might die. I believe this girl would have died for sure if she sit in that shelter many more nights. My friend with tons of chameleon experience looked at her shelter pictures and believes there's a good chance she can be saved so my husband and I decide to help her.

Thank you for all the kind words. This girl can really use the well wishes and prayers. I keep telling myself that she might not make it but those that know me know just how emotional I am and how hard death is for me. I normally try to steer away from anything or any species that I think might die. I believe this girl would have died for sure if she sit in that shelter many more nights. My friend with tons of chameleon experience looked at her shelter pictures and believes there's a good chance she can be saved so my husband and I decide to help her.
I believe in the power of prayer. Even for a small creature. God says he even cares for the sparrows in the Bible....I truly truly believe that. There is always hope. I will pray for this sweet girl.

I believe in the power of prayer. Even for a small creature. God says he even cares for the sparrows in the Bible....I truly truly believe that. There is always hope. I will pray for this sweet girl.
As long as she is eating drinking she will start gaining energy. It may be a long long recovery but I wish you the best!!

Oh Maggie, you don't know how wonderful life is about to get for you. We're all pulling for you, so just get a little stronger so you can flourish in your new Momma's care!

Jann,

I can't wait to watch the transformation. Maggie is in rough shape, but I believe in your care. Best of luck with her :).

How luck has turned for Maggie! Jann, I know you will do your very best to help this poor girl mend. I am certainly sending positive thoughts and prayers to you both.

Deb

Back
Top Bottom