We need your help...sick chameleon

I'm really sorry but i don't think there is much you can do for the poor wee guy. :( The pic of him like that i found very upsetting, i hope you stick around the forum and learn then hopefully you can start again.. It makes me so mad that once again another animal is suffering from bad pet shop "advice" sorry again.

Thanks for all of the help and advice. The little guy is still hangng in there and we will try everything we can to help him although we are expecting the worse. We thought we were getting good advice from workers in the store that have raised reptiles for a long time...I guess it shows that not everyone knows everything. Thanks again!

This is so heartbreaking. I am so very sorry that you are going through this with you little Chameleon. So many people don't realize that the employees of stores such as Petco and Petsmart are just mere employees there to sell supplies. Many have little to no experience with the pets they sell. They are just taught from the caresheets that the store has and those caresheets many times are wrong. The supplies they tell you that you need can be very wrong if not deadly to the pets we purchased in hopes of having a long life with us.

I hope you little one makes it. My heart is with you.

im very sorry to hear that the pet store gave you the wrong information about raising chameleons.
it truly is a terrible situation and very sorry you have had such a rough start.

Absolutely. It is unfortunate that new owners are introduced to such amazing creatures in such a way. All too often, it puts a bad taste in the mouth of would-be excellent owners.

mybugsy, my heart goes out to you. People here often forget that many (most?) of us first came here because we had a chameleon in distress.

I do hope your little guy can rebound. It does sound like he's in bad shape so you are right to have everyone prepared for the worst. However, in my experience (which isn't that much, I admit) they are resilient. I'll be crossing my fingers for you all.

Its so sad what bad pet store advice does to chams. There are quite afew problems with your set up. First of all, chams need good ammounts of ventelation, most people say no glass terrariums but those are fine as long as they have good vents not on at the top but on the sides, but they must be more than 2X2X4'. although substrate isnt the best idea, id say as long as your cham is being properly supplemented its fine, but your cham could have a large variety of problems, bring him to the best exotics vet near you, and lets hope he does well. Good luck and i hope we can help you in the future with your cham.

PS: Karma and ferret stop b**ching at eachother, who cares who is yelling, the point is this guy needs help and we are here to help him.

I am so sorry your cham is in such a bad way. I am hoping things work out for you two.

I am also very sorry on how your husbandry was attacked, especially when that was not the major issue at hand.

Please let us know how you make out with your little guy and whatever the result just know their are people here that truly care and are willing to help you

Still fighting...

He is still hanging in there. He is obviously still weak and maybe he does not have a chance but we will try to get him well, if possible. Thanks for all the support and we will keep you updated.

Well today we put him in a small critter cage with paper towels at the bottom to make him more comfortable. We put the container under the UVB light and made sure it stayed humid. We bought calcium supplement and gave him that and Jump-Start, along with water in a dropper. The poor little guy is still hanging on, but he is less and less responsive. We are hoping for the best but the outcome is probably not going to be good.

Thanks for the help and support, but at this point, I'm afraid there is little to do to help Bugsy. :(

have you still not attempted a vet visit, sorry but i jumped ahead and only read the first two pages/last page of the thread.

your guy is in bad shape and it is unfortunate that alot of the members see this all too often and so please don't be discouraged by their "attitude" because it becomes frustrating and repetative and very saddening . ... keep up with the research and study as much as possible before purchasing any animal . . .

I'm so very sorry to see what happened to your cham. The photo brought a tear to my eye. I hope and pray that he does recover. If he doesn't, it won't be from your lack of care and concern...

That looks terrible. I am at a loss of words. :(

Im sorry this happened. Stores are just so irresponsible when it comes to chameleons, its unbelievable.

He's gone. Last night did the poor baby in. Bugsy is dead. We put him in a tin and are burying him. Thanks for the help. I am sure we will try another reptile, afterall, our Gargoyle Gecko and Gold Dust Day Gecko are doing really well. . . Hopefully, we will never have to go through such a tragic death ever again. :(

He's gone. Last night did the poor baby in. Bugsy is dead. We put him in a tin and are burying him. Thanks for the help. I am sure we will try another reptile, afterall, our Gargoyle Gecko and Gold Dust Day Gecko are doing really well. . . Hopefully, we will never have to go through such a tragic death ever again. :(

You can't blame yourself, freak things happen, just think of all the nom-noming going on right now ;)

I am so sorry this happened.
I hope you do try again, please use the wealth of knowledge in this forum to answer any questions that might come up.

When you have had time to mourn your loss and feel like its time for another, please post pics of your new addition
anne

Back
Top Bottom