We had a misshap

I feed the crickets Flukers high-calcium cricket diet and orange cube. Is this good?
This will keep them alive for a little while, but it’s not very nutritious. I feed my bugs a mix of fresh greens (collards, dandelion, mustard, arugula, watercress), bell pepper, various squashes, a little fruit (berries, apple) and add some Repashy Bug Burger. Basically all the same fresh produce I use for my bearded dragon’s salads is the same as I feed my bugs.

Your husbandry looks pretty good, but there are a few improvements to make.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled, were told he was two months old, purchased at Petsmart, we have had him almost 2 weeks Unfortunately the chain pet stores aren’t known for selling healthy chameleons or having care practices that promote good health. Several of us have pet store chams and we’re just lucky that we had no issues.
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - small crickets, 7 usually in the morning, I try to give more in the afternoon but he rarely eats them Make sure they are the correct size. Anything larger than the space between his eyes is too big for him to eat. Offer him as many as he can eat in about 15-20 minutes in the morning. You should also add some variety. Bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms) would probably be a good size and can be found in any pet store. Roaches and silkworms are my favorites for nutrition, but you’d need to order both. Check the forum sponsors. Then you need to feed your feeders and keep them healthy, otherwise they have very little nutritional value. I don’t gutload, but instead just keep my bugs well fed all the time. Attaching both feeder and gutloading graphics for you.
  • Supplements - flukers calcium w/o d3, every day. zoomed, reptivite w/d3 2x's per month ( has only had once) Perfect! I’m not sure if the Fluker’s is phosphorus free…will have to check on that & get back to you.
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure 2 x's per day until plants are dripping Perfect! You could add a dripper for about 20 minutes mid day or add another misting just for added hydration opportunity.
  • Fecal Description - looks normal, well formed, with white urates, no he hasn't been tested for parasites I really think a vet visit and fecal check is your best action. The incidence of having contracted a parasite is much higher from chain pet stores. If you need help finding a vet, just ask.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

I’m really concerned about how thin he is. While he may seem ok now, they can go downhill very fast and he has no reserves. Definitely a vet visit ASAP is needed and take a fresh fecal sample.
View attachment 313713View attachment 313714
this is a picture of my son holding Cosmo, (the one time, he's been held) I measured my son's palm and it measures 3.5 inches from wrist to base of fingers. I don't know if this would help you get a sense as to how little he is. Thanks for your help

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Welcome on here! Do you have an exotics vet near you that has reputable chameleon experience? Sadly, Cosmo looks to have Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD), which needs to get treated by a vet ASAP

Welcome to the forum! This little guy is adorable! Miss Skittles and Erkle Rose have given you awesome advice. They are smart lady’s and have lots of experience so please listen to them and others that chimed in.

Back
Top Bottom