We had a misshap

lsd61377

So something startled our baby and he fell off his branch, landing at the bottom of the cage, about 26in. He got right up and cimbed back up, so I think he's fine. However he has this spot on his side now. It was a dark brown color but is now white, when his color is pale green and the spot will turn pale green when he is brown. I don't think he's seriously hurt but was just wondering what it could be. Pic attached of when spot is white.

Attachments

• received_875029209728961.jpeg
    received_875029209728961.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 125
So something startled our baby and he fell off his branch, landing at the bottom of the cage, about 26in. He got right up and cimbed back up, so I think he's fine. However he has this spot on his side now. It was a dark brown color but is now white, when his color is pale green and the spot will turn pale green when he is brown. I don't think he's seriously hurt but was just wondering what it could be. Pic attached of when spot is white.
Looks like he may be starting a shed or has a bruise he also looks extremely hungry how often and how much are you feeding him?

Hi. I’m more concerned with the thinness of your sweet little one than I am about the white spot. Not sure if I see a tarsal spur or if it’s just part of the foot. His/her casque also looks a bit odd to me. We’d love to help you make sure your little one is and stays healthy and happy. Can you post more and better pics of your cham and whole enlcosure, including lights?

Looks like he may be starting a shed or has a bruise he also looks extremely hungry how often and how much are you feeding him?
he eats around 7 crickets per day, I give them in the morning. I've tried giving him more in the evening when I get home but he usually doesn't eat them. We've only had him about 2 weeks. We were told he was about 2 months old when we got him. I will get some pics of his enclosure.

he eats around 7 crickets per day, I give them in the morning. I've tried giving him more in the evening when I get home but he usually doesn't eat them. We've only had him about 2 weeks. We were told he was about 2 months old when we got him. I will get some pics of his enclosure.
That’s not nearly enough for such a young cham. He/she should be eating as much as he/she can in about a 15 minute period, twice a day. Plus, veileds are little eating machines. Something isn’t right here. Where did you get him/her? Have you had a fecal check for parasites? I think it would be a good idea to check all of your care with a husbandry review. Young chams are fragile and even the smallest error in care can have disastrous results.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

pictures of Cosmo's enclosure and more pics of just him. His enclosure is 30x18x30. Right now he has a mixture of real (umbrella tree and boston fern) and artificial plants. We have an LED grow light for the plants and and Reptisun combo light for heat and UVB. We also have a ceramic heater that I use at night because our house is on the cool side.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 247382221_10226212804294947_4557798592643294535_n.jpg
    247382221_10226212804294947_4557798592643294535_n.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 81
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 75
I'm sorry, but I agree s/he looks emaciated—and possibly dehydrated.
Appropriate size hornworms might help with both.

Difficult to gauge age & size without a reference in the pic (like a ruler, dollar bill, etc.)

With a young one, I had much better luck feeding morning and early afternoon. I know that's tough when working (I'm retired) but folks here find ways... ;)

I think it would be a good idea to check all of your care with a husbandry review. Young chams are fragile and even the smallest error in care can have disastrous results.
+1.

As long as the nighttime temp is 55F or above, the CHE isn't needed.
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/

pictures of Cosmo's enclosure and more pics of just him. His enclosure is 30x18x30. Right now he has a mixture of real (umbrella tree and boston fern) and artificial plants. We have an LED grow light for the plants and and Reptisun combo light for heat and UVB. We also have a ceramic heater that I use at night because our house is on the cool side.
Ok, I do see a defined tarsal spur, so Cosmo is a he for sure. Your uvb is incorrect. The screw in bulbs aren’t able to provide adequate levels any farther than about 2-3” directly below. You’ll need to get him a linear T5 ho fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. Then basking area will need to be about 8-9” below that. He will eventually be needing a much larger enclosure…a 2x2x4’ is minimum for an adult so you could buy a 24” long uvb and just have it hang over the ends of the current enclosure.

I hate to suggest this, but for a very temporary way to give him proper uvb levels, you can use the bendy vine and give him a basking area directly below the current screw in bulb and at a level where his back is about 2-3” from the light. You will need to either drastically then bend the vine down from the basking bulb so he doesn’t get burned or leave the basking bulb out of the double dome and use your second dome light raised above the enclosure to give a basking temp of 80f.
344DB706-2010-42FE-BEB4-12C570531F86.jpeg

That’s not nearly enough for such a young cham. He/she should be eating as much as he/she can in about a 15 minute period, twice a day. Plus, veileds are little eating machines. Something isn’t right here. Where did you get him/her? Have you had a fecal check for parasites? I think it would be a good idea to check all of your care with a husbandry review. Young chams are fragile and even the smallest error in care can have disastrous results.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled, were told he was two months old, purchased at Petsmart, we have had him almost 2 weeks
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - small crickets, 7 usually in the morning, I try to give more in the afternoon but he rarely eats them
  • Supplements - flukers calcium w/o d3, every day. zoomed, reptivite w/d3 2x's per month ( has only had once)
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure 2 x's per day until plants are dripping
  • Fecal Description - looks normal, well formed, with white urates, no he hasn't been tested for parasites

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 30x18x30 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - 100 w reptisun 3n1 bulb for heat and UVB, LED grow light for plants and ceramic heater at night, lights go on at 5am and turn off around 5pm
  • Temperature - basking spot is 80-85
  • Humidity - humidity between 55 and 60
  • Plants - umbrella tree, boston fern and some natural sticks and artificial vines for climbing until the plants get bigger
  • Placement - Living room, cage top is about 4.5 feet off floor, house is pretty quiet during day, with usually only tv noise
  • Location - Illinois

Your husbandry looks pretty good, but there are a few improvements to make.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled, were told he was two months old, purchased at Petsmart, we have had him almost 2 weeks Unfortunately the chain pet stores aren’t known for selling healthy chameleons or having care practices that promote good health. Several of us have pet store chams and we’re just lucky that we had no issues.
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - small crickets, 7 usually in the morning, I try to give more in the afternoon but he rarely eats them Make sure they are the correct size. Anything larger than the space between his eyes is too big for him to eat. Offer him as many as he can eat in about 15-20 minutes in the morning. You should also add some variety. Bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms) would probably be a good size and can be found in any pet store. Roaches and silkworms are my favorites for nutrition, but you’d need to order both. Check the forum sponsors. Then you need to feed your feeders and keep them healthy, otherwise they have very little nutritional value. I don’t gutload, but instead just keep my bugs well fed all the time. Attaching both feeder and gutloading graphics for you.
  • Supplements - flukers calcium w/o d3, every day. zoomed, reptivite w/d3 2x's per month ( has only had once) Perfect! I’m not sure if the Fluker’s is phosphorus free…will have to check on that & get back to you.
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure 2 x's per day until plants are dripping Perfect! You could add a dripper for about 20 minutes mid day or add another misting just for added hydration opportunity.
  • Fecal Description - looks normal, well formed, with white urates, no he hasn't been tested for parasites I really think a vet visit and fecal check is your best action. The incidence of having contracted a parasite is much higher from chain pet stores. If you need help finding a vet, just ask.

Cage Info:

I’m really concerned about how thin he is. While he may seem ok now, they can go downhill very fast and he has no reserves. Definitely a vet visit ASAP is needed and take a fresh fecal sample.
6A4415DE-C033-44F9-927F-2BE3054E4403.jpeg
52488649-A584-48B3-B8B8-E6BE0A5CE4A0.jpeg

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled, were told he was two months old, purchased at Petsmart, we have had him almost 2 weeks
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - small crickets, 7 usually in the morning, I try to give more in the afternoon but he rarely eats them
  • Supplements - flukers calcium w/o d3, every day. zoomed, reptivite w/d3 2x's per month ( has only had once)
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure 2 x's per day until plants are dripping
  • Fecal Description - looks normal, well formed, with white urates, no he hasn't been tested for parasites

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 30x18x30 screen enclosure
  • Lighting - 100 w reptisun 3n1 bulb for heat and UVB, LED grow light for plants and ceramic heater at night, lights go on at 5am and turn off around 5pm
  • Temperature - basking spot is 80-85
  • Humidity - humidity between 55 and 60
  • Plants - umbrella tree, boston fern and some natural sticks and artificial vines for climbing until the plants get bigger
  • Placement - Living room, cage top is about 4.5 feet off floor, house is pretty quiet during day, with usually only tv noise
  • Location - Illinois

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - veiled, were told he was two months old, purchased at Petsmart, we have had him almost 2 weeks Unfortunately the chain pet stores aren’t known for selling healthy chameleons or having care practices that promote good health. Several of us have pet store chams and we’re just lucky that we had no issues.
  • Handling - rarely
  • Feeding - small crickets, 7 usually in the morning, I try to give more in the afternoon but he rarely eats them Make sure they are the correct size. Anything larger than the space between his eyes is too big for him to eat. Offer him as many as he can eat in about 15-20 minutes in the morning. You should also add some variety. Bsfl (aka calci worms, Phoenix worms) would probably be a good size and can be found in any pet store. Roaches and silkworms are my favorites for nutrition, but you’d need to order both. Check the forum sponsors. Then you need to feed your feeders and keep them healthy, otherwise they have very little nutritional value. I don’t gutload, but instead just keep my bugs well fed all the time. Attaching both feeder and gutloading graphics for you.
  • Supplements - flukers calcium w/o d3, every day. zoomed, reptivite w/d3 2x's per month ( has only had once) Perfect! I’m not sure if the Fluker’s is phosphorus free…will have to check on that & get back to you.
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure 2 x's per day until plants are dripping Perfect! You could add a dripper for about 20 minutes mid day or add another misting just for added hydration opportunity.
  • Fecal Description - looks normal, well formed, with white urates, no he hasn't been tested for parasites I really think a vet visit and fecal check is your best action. The incidence of having contracted a parasite is much higher from chain pet stores. If you need help finding a vet, just ask.

Cage Info:

I’m really concerned about how thin he is. While he may seem ok now, they can go downhill very fast and he has no reserves. Definitely a vet visit ASAP is needed and take a fresh fecal sample.
View attachment 313713View attachment 313714
I keep reading that the UVB cannot penetrate the cage screen, does this need to mounted inside the enclosure or in on top the screen fine?

Chameleon Info:

• Handling - rarely

Cage Info:

View attachment 313713View attachment 313714
I feed the crickets Flukers high-calcium cricket diet and orange cube. Is this good?

Back
Top Bottom