Waxworms

Dagreek

I've been feeding crickets only to my veiled chameleon. I'm thinking of buying 500 waxworms from petco. Can I put them in the fridge like mealworms? How long can they get I have a bowl with a curled rim. Would they be big and long enough to escape their bowl? I plan on having waxworms always available to him with crickets as we'll so he can choose.

Waxworms can be kept in the fridge, and I think they die before they get very large. However I don't recommend feeding with waxworms, as they are very fatty and can cause mouth rot and also cause food strikes (they're like dessert). I'd offer them as a treat, if it all. So like at most 10% of the diet.

Wax worms are probably best used as a treat rather than a staple food. They are high in fat and phosphorus and low in calcium and protein. But they can be kept in the door of your fridge with some cereal or oatmeal to eat. They will keep for a while, and they don't get very big.

If you really want to get a feeder for your chameleon to use on a daily basis, I would highly recommend silkworms. About the same fat content as a cricket, but much higher in calcium and protein and very low in phosphorus. Plus adults get pretty large. Chameleons LOVE them.

So super worms the next best bet?

I am personally not a fan of them either. I feed mostly silkworms or hornworms. Although hornworms grow too fast for me. But I would say if you can't do silkworms or hornworms, I would do mostly crickets and just use wax or super worms for an occasional treat. I've heard phoenix worms are good, but have never used them myself.

How big is he? Phoenix worm/ reptiworms are kind of small. Silks are great but you won't find them at Petco. Dubias are a really good feeder and very easy to care/breed. I feed dubias, reptiworms & silks everyday and super worms every two to three days.

He's about 3.5 to 4 inches not counting tail. I'm just looking for a good supplement for a cricket based diet.

Lazy is right, roaches are good feeders as well. I know this sounds lame, but I don't use them because they kind of creep me out. :)

I just put them in a bowl curved at the top that's supposed to keep them stuck inside but they are escaping. Any suggestions?

Supers last for ages as long as you have a fair few in together. Mine keep for months as long as you gutload so they don't eat each other

Supers last for ages as long as you have a fair few in together. Mine keep for months as long as you gutload so they don't eat each other and I dont put them in the fridge

I put dry gutload in their oats and then add potatoes, spaghetti squash, apples sort of stuff to a water bottle bottom I cut off nice and low.

Carrot cubes are some of the worst gutloads available. You're better to use fresh veggies and fruit. Cricket crack and Bug Burger are the 2 best commercial gutloads on the market right now. Sandrachameleon has a wonderful blog about homemade gutloads as well

Carrot cubes are some of the worst gutloads available. You're better to use fresh veggies and fruit. Cricket crack and Bug Burger are the 2 best commercial gutloads on the market right now. Sandrachameleon has a wonderful blog about homemade gutloads as well

Thank you. I'll grab those if my store has them.

I keep mine on grinded up bran flakes. I keep a pnut butter lid filled with mustard and collard greens and kale for liquid. They also LOVE oranges. Keep in the closet, as they prefer darkness. Will last you forever. I can't remember if I have ever seen a dead one. If you keep a lot on hand, you can only feed the white [freshly molted] ones, to keep chitin levels even lower. Careful, they like to bite.

Where is a good place to buy silkworms? Also is the yellow flukers that's majority water and calcium a decent feeder to keep them alive?

Thanks

Where is a good place to buy silkworms? Also is the yellow flukers that's majority water and calcium a decent feeder to keep them alive?

Thanks

I get mine from lindasgonebuggie.com, or you can check the sponsor list on here.

For gutloading, Ive been using cricket crack, with a veggies in the crate as well.
Such as carrots, collard greens and such. You can do a google search for gutloads and learn lots! GutLoading is very important!!

Back
Top Bottom