Wax worm addiction

ReptiFreak

Today I offer some dubia roaches, cricket, mealworm, and wax worm to my panther chameleon and he only going after the wax worm. He almost ate the dubia but he didnt because he thought it was the wax worm -_-. What methods can I use to get him to eat dubia and cricket. The tongue problem disappear and he is 100% healthy and fat. How long can I starve him before it fatal so he can eat the dubia and cricket.

Today I offer some dubia roaches, cricket, mealworm, and wax worm to my panther chameleon and he only going after the wax worm. He almost ate the dubia but he didnt because he thought it was the wax worm -_-. What methods can I use to get him to eat dubia and cricket. The tongue problem disappear and he is 100% healthy and fat. How long can I starve him before it fatal so he can eat the dubia and cricket.

First don't mix the feeders, give him one type like a main staple food , dubia and when they are gone then give him a few treats, wax worm. If he doesn't eat the dubia remove them and try crickets the next day. No treats until staple meal is eaten.

I have seen some people on here have to hold out 5 days and then the Cham finally gave in. I do not know how long they can go but a "fat Cham" at least the 5 days

I dont think anyone can give you an exact answer. I wouldn't let him go more than 4 or 5 days without eating anything. But if you stick to your guns, i'm sure he will start eating his staple food. Good luck and keep us posted! :D

stop offering waxworms, and he will stop eating them. Its that simple.
An otherwise healthy adult animal can easily go a week, even two and maybe three, without issue. So long as they have water. If you are concerned, monitor his weight.
you may find this blog entry interesting: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...s-day-required-maintain-chameleon-weight.html

My personal experience has been that a healthy adult panther chameleon can and will go 2 weeks without food as long as he is healthy and receiving plenty of water to drink. Usually a panther will not starve themselves unless they are sick, which in turn can become weak from not eating. That's just a whole different topic to speak about if you get to that point.

My 10 month old veiled went on a serious hunger strike recently and lasted nearly 2 weeks eating nothing.......he's totally fine, just over a year old and back on his crickets properly now. In the last few weeks he's been really good so he's had some stick insects and locusts and mealworms and a spider too. He's not going to see a waxworm ever again..........
The quicker you make him eat his crickets the better for your peace of mind, and he won't starve himself to death if there are crickets to eat, so it just means you have to be patient and don't let him only eat his favourite foods. There's no method apart from waiting and making him break first :) I hope he gives in quicker than mine 'cos I hated knowing he would eat some foods but not giving him what he wanted :)

Back
Top Bottom