Waterfall?

bigfink909

Yesterday I saw a water fall that states it's "perfect for chameleons". Seeing as how my veiled won't drink water from a dish I don't know if I believe this claim or not. Does anyone have any opinions on this system?

Yesterday I saw a water fall that states it's "perfect for chameleons". Seeing as how my veiled won't drink water from a dish I don't know if I believe this claim or not. Does anyone have any opinions on this system?

Don't get it. Chameleons rarely drink from them and they are a breeding ground for bacteria even if they do. It's a waste of money. Chameleons don't recognize still water like in a water dish, they only recognize moving water. A much better, more successful (and cheaper) alternative is to make or buy a dripper. It sits on the top of the cage and slowly drips water down onto the leaves of a plant inside the cage kind of like rain. Your cham will see the water dripping and be stimulated to drink. You can buy a dripper from pet stores, or you can poke a small hole in the bottom of a styrofoam or plastic cup. You don't want it to pour out, just slow drips every few seconds or so. Make sure it drips onto something around the middle of the cage so your cham will see it and be able to get to it. Everyone on here uses some variation of a dripper.

Since you're just starting out with your little guy it's very important to make sure you're on the right track to prevent any problems in the future. Could you please fill this out by copying it and inserting your responses:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Pictures of your cage and chameleon would be helpful.

That will give us an idea of how you're doing and we can point out any improvements you might want to make before they become problems later! Everyone who gets a chameleon starts off with something that needs to be changed, even the experts. :)

Waterfalls are a baaaad idea. Chameleon can and will poop in them and they are a breeding ground for bacteria. Hand misting, automatic misting systems and drippers are the way to go.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, unknown sex, been in my care for three days or so
Handling - every day, once or twice a day at least
Feeding - we are feeding it crickets that are dusted with calcium and d3, about seven or eight a day, its not eating all of them
Supplements - answered above
Watering - we use a exo-tera misting bottle and mist three or so times a day for a few min untill the folliage is thouroghly dripping
Fecal Description - dark brown with a white end thing
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, unsure of the dimensions
Lighting - exo-terra solar glo 125 w. lights on at six am and off at six pm
Temperature - right by the light its 89 degrees or so and the floor is about 70 ?
Humidity - i have no idea what my humidity level are, i will be buying a humidity monitor today
Plants - fake
Placement - my cage is on the floor, our apartment is really low traffic
Location - we are in western washington

im having trouble getting it to come to me so i can get pictures of him, when i extend my finger to him he tucks his arms next to his body and opens his mouth. i say "him" in hopes that it is male, but i cant tell and i cant get good pictures to show on here.

some pics of the cage

Attachments

• cham 1.jpg
    cham 1.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 147
  • cham 3.jpg
    cham 3.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 126
  • cham 4.jpg
    cham 4.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 110
im pretty turned off of the waterfall now, i do think i will be switching to an auto mist system when i switch to a larger cage

This form looks an interesting quiz.

Hope I pass my exam...

Since you're just starting out with your little guy it's very important to make sure you're on the right track to prevent any problems in the future. Could you please fill this out by copying it and inserting your responses:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, Male, 4 months. Had him a week.Handling - Everyday
Feeding - Locusts, at least 5-8 a day, Calcium dusted, Gut loaded with Kale
Supplements - Pro Cal I think or Pro Rep? Calcium dust and a supplement with D3Watering - Mist, Twice a day a few minutes each time, I see him drink from the leaves.Fecal Description - Dark droppings with a white blob. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - NO
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Straight from the breeder to me.

Cage Info:
Cage Type -Exo-terra glass terrarium 90cm x 45cm x 60cm
Lighting - 2 Exo-terra 25w UV tubes 2.0% and 5.0%, also a 75w Exo-terra basking sun-glo bulb, Lights all on for 12 hours.Temperature - 90F to 70F? Lowest overnight temp? 65-70 How do you measure these temps? 2 digital thermoeter and hydrometerHumidity - What are your humidity levels? 45% to 80% once misted. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Misting.
Plants - Are you using live plants? Not yet! ordered Cheese plant and bromeiliadsPlacement - Where is your cage located? Dinning room Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Near the main door in and out of the house At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 5ft.
Location - Where are you geographically located? Manchester UK

Pictures of your cage and chameleon would be helpful.

That will give us an idea of how you're doing and we can point out any improvements you might want to make before they become problems later! Everyone who gets a chameleon starts off with something that needs to be changed, even the experts. :)

Original poster: you need three seperate supplements for your feeders. You need:
1. cal w/d3
2. cal without d3
3. multi vitamin - ex: minerall or herptivite or reptivite

cal without d3 at most feedings, cal w/d3 2 times a month, multi vita 1-2 times a month

The cage needs to be at about eye level or slightly below eye level. Chams dont like being on or near ground level.

it looks like im going to be running to the reptile store today. and can anyone tell me from the picture i attached the sex of my chameleon? i know im supposed to be looking for some spur but i dont know what said spur looks like

Attachments

• cham 5.jpg
    cham 5.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 191
Pennington - it will cause less confusion if you start your own thread with your responses. Nothing wrong with asking about your setup, but you'll get more responses if you post them in a place people will see them. :)

No Confusion. Read, respond or ignore.
Seems to have been ignored. It's polite to start your own thread instead of distracting from the original. :)

@Big, hard to tell with that picture. Do you have a way of getting a clearer picture?

Seems to have been ignored. It's polite to start your own thread instead of distracting from the original. :)

@Big, hard to tell with that picture. Do you have a way of getting a clearer picture?

I second that. I was going to mention something about it two days ago, but didn't want to be rude.

Obviously wasn't ignored then was it? You really shouldn't take it so seriously its a forum. There are no laws, no rules. Chill. If I want to write something on a thread that doesn't belong there its not rude.

Back
Top Bottom