Water?

skeleptica

Soo, I just got my Mistking mister in the mail I just went and picked up a reservoir to hold the water in however my husband brought up an interesting question. Before we got the mister I just hand sprayed my chameleon. I always boiled the water because I know the chemicals in tap water are bad for the chameleon and can make her sick. The reservoir is pretty big and holds a lot more water than the spray bottle did, so its going to be a bit more of a pain to boil that much water every day. Is there something that I can put in the water for chameleons that cleans the chemicals out of the water? I have something called "Stress Coat" for my fish that takes chlorine, chloramines, and ammonia out of tap water and also detoxifies heavy metals, would this be safe to use?

Where in Canada are you? Which chemicals are you trying to get rid of? Some are not reduced by boiling. Charcoal filtering may be the way to go, if for some reason your tap water is bad. The only thing added to my local water is chlorine, which will off gas in 24 hours if left in an open container.

I have to say that I have city water and haven't had a problem with it. I give it to all of my animals and they all do fine and have for years.

There is a reptile specific water conditioner if you are really positive you want it. I think it is called ReptiSafe and is by Zoo-Med.

I used Reptisafe when I first got my chams because I was so worried about Californian water and even used spring water but after 6 months or so I just stopped using it....epecially after reading a few threads on this forum.

They have been just on good old tap water for 1+ years now that has been run through a Brita filter. I know it doesn't remove fluroide but they have had no ill affects. :)

I live in Edmonton, and I don't really know much about the treatment of our water here. To be safe I used bottled water... I get the big jugs of water anyway and their really inexpensive, I figure a whole 4$ jug will probably last a good 2 weeks at least, and that way I don't have to worry about anything at all. I feed my other animals tap water but I was told that chameleons were a lot more sensitive and couldn't handle those types of chemicals. Thanks for the help, and by the way, this Mistking misting system so far is working great!

Try looking into these guys on ebay. I think its them...... but you can get an RO system for like 160 bucks at home depot. It all depends on how much you use.

I use tap water..... I fill my tank each morning and burn about 3/4 of it in a day.... that's about 7 gallons of water a day for my 8 chams.

I am working on an auto refill system... should be soon. with this i can use RO to refill the tank through the day. The following day will have fresh RO water.

there are schools of thought that RO isn't good for chams because minerals found in water will be lost for the cham's nutrition.

Research.

if you can drink your water so can they boiling water only gets rid of microbes ur wasting your time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you go crazy, find out from your water company what could possibly be in your water supply. Also, a lot of misting supply companies have filters you can put in line along the tubing. Call them and get a recommendation. RO systems are expensive, boiling buckets everyday is cumbersome. You want to make this as easy as you can, that's the point of automation.

Like stated above I would check into getting your water tested. It may not be bad at all. But RO filters are not expensive as everyone makes them out to be. A complete 6 stage setup runs about 100 bucks shipped to your door on ebay. I run one and have had no problems with it. Water doesnt even read on a TDS meter, so the PPMS are at zero. Plus you have all the clean water you could ever want. LOL everything taste better with RO water in it...coffee,tea,koolaid... Plus if you have any fish tanks or do any gardening this is also the way to go. hope this helps

i find it a lot easier to go to the water machines near the grocery store and fill a 5 gallon jug to fill my 5 gallon resevoir, last me 3 weeks for 2 chams. and remember when you ro/di, you spend a lot more money in the long run because the yeild is like 20% tops. in other words it takes 5 gallons of tap water to make 1 gallon of ro/di water. much cheaper to buy water IMO.

5 gallons for $1.25 -- i can live with that.

You probably would have an easier time just using the big jug of bottled water. And you probably could use the jug as your resivoir.

HOpe that helps

OPI

I live in Edmonton, and I don't really know much about the treatment of our water here. To be safe I used bottled water... I get the big jugs of water anyway and their really inexpensive, I figure a whole 4$ jug will probably last a good 2 weeks at least, and that way I don't have to worry about anything at all. I feed my other animals tap water but I was told that chameleons were a lot more sensitive and couldn't handle those types of chemicals. Thanks for the help, and by the way, this Mistking misting system so far is working great!

Back
Top Bottom