Water

madic

I have 2 veiled chameleons and have been using distilled or spring water for misting and dripping, I am just curious if the type of water really matters. Does it have to be distilled or spring, can I use just fountain water, or Purified water?

I have 2 veiled chameleons and have been using distilled or spring water for misting and dripping, I am just curious if the type of water really matters. Does it have to be distilled or spring, can I use just fountain water, or Purified water?

there are many ways bow to answer your question

one: wild
All water that they drink in the wild through fog, dew or rain is technically distilled one, only skightly contaminated with dust
so, the hard rule is: use distilled water or similar,
This is the most natural way of providing water ti them

second: heavily mineralized water will very likely cause some issues long term, but evidence and research is scarce to none: I use the fillowing soft rule: if itnis good enough fir people, it will be ok for chameleons

Only matters if you are using a humidifier or misting system. The less TDS the less stuff to clog your system. I recently purchased a Zero Water Pitcher @ Walmart. I wanted to save on the environment for one by using less plastic and the Coronavirus scare had all the Walmarts in my Colorado town out of water distilled and spring. The Zero Water filter filters tap water to 000 TDS like distilled or RO water. It also filters chlorine, chlorimine, fluoride, and lead.

Only matters if you are using a humidifier or misting system. The less TDS the less stuff to clog your system. I recently purchased a Zero Water Pitcher @ Walmart. I wanted to save on the environment for one by using less plastic and the Coronavirus scare had all the Walmarts in my Colorado town out of water distilled and spring. The Zero Water filter filters tap water to 000 TDS like distilled or RO water. It also filters chlorine, chlorimine, fluoride, and lead.
I use a mister but have a hand misting one i can use for mean time... the problem is here in texas there are no waters at all because of the coronavirus, and i am down to my last water for them. So can i use just tap water for spraying their cages a few times a day, or is that a bad idea?

That's exactly what's in the filters. Also it came with a TDS tester. $40 for a 12cup pitcher. Filters last 3-5 months depending on the TDS of your tap water. Check them out
That’s a pretty good deal.
I use a mister but have a hand misting one i can use for mean time... the problem is here in texas there are no waters at all because of the coronavirus, and i am down to my last water for them. So can i use just tap water for spraying their cages a few times a day, or is that a bad idea?
if you have no other option it will most likely be ok, however I would let the water sit uncovered overnight to gas off the chlorine. Or you can airate it with a aquarium air pump to speed up the process.

Yes you can. As @Reptofreak said you can let the tap water airate for 24hrs to at least get rid of the chlorine. You can also buy ReptiSafe which will dechlorinate the water instantly. You could also purchase a Zero Water Pitcher from Walmart if they still have some.

Yes you can. As @Reptofreak said you can let the tap water airate for 24hrs to at least get rid of the chlorine. You can also buy ReptiSafe which will dechlorinate the water instantly. You could also purchase a Zero Water Pitcher from Walmart if they still have some.
That depends on what your water department uses to chlorinate your water. Many areas now use chloramine which is more stable and does not evaporate.

Back
Top Bottom