Water

Rusty61

I've been giving my chameleons bottled water that has calcium added. Is there enough to keep them healthy? Is it possible to give them too much?
Thanks.

Only calcium with D3 can be overdone. However excess calcium and other minerals can show up around the nostrils. I don't have anyway of knowing how much calcium they are getting in the water. I personally would continue to supplement with calcium on their food.
Maybe you could show what you are giving and how much of it they are drinking.

Jacksjill...it's not calcium that chameleons snort out their noses it's other salts.
Too much calcium can cause a problem if it's really really really overdone.

Rusty61... How can anyone answer your question about the calcium in the water being enough if you don't saynhow much calcium is in the water?

Since chameleons assimilate calcium through the foods they eat and not from the pure water they drink, I would say that the odds of them ingesting enough calcium through the water to be enough are slim. As Kinyonga said, calcium can be overdone as is overdone by many as standard practice, imo. I am a subscriber to the less is more approach to all supplements and don't believe it is natural or healthy to dust feeders with powdered calcium with every feeding. 3-4 days a week is the maximum I supplement most any animal, unless there circumstances that warrant deviating from this.
Bottled water is not a great idea. Bottled water is often enhanced with various minerals, salt, and fluoride for taste and health. Use distilled or reverse osmosis water instead.

Jacksjill...it's not calcium that chameleons snort out their noses it's other salts.
Too much calcium can cause a problem if it's really really really overdone.
I stand corrected. I was assuming the it's water that I see sold that has minimal amounts of calcium and wouldn't contribute much to the diet.

I would just do what the majority of us do and that is dust the feeders with calcium. It is proven sucessful, so I would go with that. I don't think enough is known about how much calcium the chameleon can receive through water that is enhanced with it.

Back
Top Bottom