Water reservoir temperature

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I didn't want to highjack a thread so I started my own. I saw in another thread that some are heating their misting water.

I have a Mistking and of course a water reservoir to go along with it. Now that it is wintertime the room where my chameleon is sits around 66 degrees.

Should I be heating the water in the reservoir and if so how and what temperature should I keep it at?

Thanks,

Tony
 

JackRipper

Avid Member
I do, I use a small tropical fish tank heater that automatically keeps the temp avove 75° i also condition my water and only use a 2 gallon reservoir that I keep very clean. If 75° water cools while being turned into mist then 60° water probably does as well, I notice a difference in my chams reaction. And it feels warmer to the touch. Try it out see if it works for you let me know if you notice a difference.
 

JackRipper

Avid Member
Apparently this has been discussed before. I found an older thread on the subject it looks like others have been doing this before I was lol.
 

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
Coming from and extensive aquarium background I can assure you that all bodies of water contain bacteria. Not all bacteria are bad as most would think, nitrifying bacteria are present in bodies of water and they are nature’s way off processing ammonia into no3 and po4. That said, the water we are putting into our reservoirs is filtered and contains very little ammonia so the bacteria colony would remain the same size no matter what because it has an extremely limited food source. I Really don’t think it would hurt anything either way.
 

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Coming from and extensive aquarium background I can assure you that all bodies of water contain bacteria. Not all bacteria are bad as most would think, nitrifying bacteria are present in bodies of water and they are nature’s way off processing ammonia into no3 and po4. That said, the water we are putting into our reservoirs is filtered and contains very little ammonia so the bacteria colony would remain the same size no matter what because it has an extremely limited food source. I Really don’t think it would hurt anything either way.

I too come from a reef background. It probably wouldn't hurt, but bacteria will find a way anywhere unless it is a 100% closed system which none of us have. For most healthy animals, this wouldn't matter. However, why do it? The mist is going to feel more or less the same regardless of temp. You're wasting electricity and making it easier for bacteria to grow. I do like to add a little pump to my reservoir to keep it fresh.

I agree though. Most bacteria is harmless and even beneficial(see any bioactive enclosure or aquarium as you mention), but how a fish responds to bacteria in the water might be a lot different than a chameleon which is evolved to drink fresh, nearly pure water.

Can't say I know for certain on any of this, but just my thoughts on it.
 

Reptofreak

Chameleon Enthusiast
I too come from a reef background. It probably wouldn't hurt, but bacteria will find a way anywhere unless it is a 100% closed system which none of us have. For most healthy animals, this wouldn't matter. However, why do it? The mist is going to feel more or less the same regardless of temp. You're wasting electricity and making it easier for bacteria to grow. I do like to add a little pump to my reservoir to keep it fresh.

I agree though. Most bacteria is harmless and even beneficial(see any bioactive enclosure or aquarium as you mention), but how a fish responds to bacteria in the water might be a lot different than a chameleon which is evolved to drink fresh, nearly pure water.

Can't say I know for certain on any of this, but just my thoughts on it.
I agree there is no need to heat the water, room temp is just fine.
 

JackRipper

Avid Member
It Rains warm in Hawaii and south Florida. Tropical rain is what they're adapted to. We warm blooded hairyish apes are adapted to cold. Reptiles are cold blooded for a reason. They are adapted to heat. 60° water may not be hazardous in short bursts but they definitely don't like it. I warm the water for the comfort of my animals and to avoid a negative reaction to mist in hope's of avoiding any possibility of creating a fear of water lol and overall dehydration. Either way :)
 
Top Bottom