Water blisters on foot?

Felicesadieserena

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Male Veiled Chameleon 4 months old. 3 months in my care.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Once a week.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the
schedule?

Crickets, Waxworms, Silk worms, small mealworms. Strawberries as treats. I feed him as much as he will eat. I always keep food in his feeding cup (8am - 6pm) He eats about 15-20 1/4 inch or 3/8 crickets a day.

How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Kale, dandelion leaves, Potatoes, carrots, apples, oranges, Cherries. All sorts of vegetables and fruits.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Exo Calcium without D3 - Once daily
Exo Terra with D3 - Once every 2 weeks
Reptivite Multi-vitamin - Once a month

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Mist 3-4 times a day for about 2 minutes. Dripper runs all day.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.

Brown/White

Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

No

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Screen Mesh 16x16x30 Cage

Screen Enclosure
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Reptisun 5.0 Uvb light
100 watt household light bulb
Lights on timers (8 am -8 pm)

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking
spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Ambient Temps - 70-75
Basking Temps - 80-85
Measured with digital temperature gauge

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

40-70%. Measured by Hydrometre gauge. Maintaining humidity by mistings.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live Plants Only. Pothos, Hibiscus, Umbrella Tree.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

The cage is in my bedroom on table about 2 ft off the ground, away from fans, vents and high traffic.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Ontario, Canada

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My chameleon seems to have 2 water filled blisters, one is located on top of his right paw and the other one is on the top of his right foot. I first noticed it last night while misting and I thought it was just a built up of water droplets from the misting, but then this morning I noticed it is in fact a blister. He does try to get really close to the lights so maybe it is heat blister? He is otherwise very healthy, drinks and has a good appetite. His right foot does seem a little sore, He holds it out off the branch. I have moved lights higher up above the cage and changed the 100 w basking bulb to a 40 watt bulb. He is sleeping right now. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow. Please give me some advice on what to do next.Thanks.

Well pics would help but I would probably take him to a vet, sounds pretty bad.

You husbandry looks good, although waxworms are not the healthiest and you can probably bump the multi-vit up to twice a month. None of that stuff is related though. I've never heard anything about cherries being used as a gutload, but I don't know either way

Someone please give me some ideas. I am sitting here feeling horrible, hoping everything will be ok. It's 2 am in the morning so no vet is Available. I have searched all over the forums and other sites and I have not seen anything similar to relate to :(

Is it possible that the basking light can be reached in a manner that he could have burnt his feet when basking hanging down from the top?

sorry did not read the last bit of your post ....it is most probbably the case of a heat blister . They do like to get as close as possible to the basking / uvb lights and remember that they can`t really feel that they are getting burnt!

Good job that you put that light up...try and make a plastic sheet border along the sides of the top of the cage approx 4 - 5 inches so that he will not be able to climb to the top of the cage where the lights will be touching the mesh..

Although my chams never got burnt there was a probability as they were always climbing up directly beneath the lights .

Thank you. That's a good idea. I am designing his adult cage now so that it will be ready by the time he is 6 months and I will definitely have to design a barrier so he cannot climb up by the light.

Some pictures of happy Carlos today enjoying some sunshine by my bedroom window while I cleaned his whole cage. I applied some polysporin to the blisters. The vet told me I am doing everything I can at the moment and I just have to wait and see if the blisters heal up, if not then he may need further treatment. Hoping for the best!:) For some reason my iPhone won't let me attach all the pictures in one post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 236
Back
Top Bottom