Water and Chameleons

Gumball Machine

How much water do you all typically go through? Im just curious. Right now I have a mister that mists for 2 minutes every 2 hours. I live in southern California and it's pretty dry out here and that's about when all the leaves have dried off. I also have a little dripper that I fill half way in the morning and let that go until it's empty and again in the afternoon. I used to have it drip all day but I've recently changed that. I've never seen my Chameleon actually drink so I've been trying to make sure it is always available. (Water is always available for my dogs so I figured it should always be available for my Chameleon as well). I know she drinks because she looks well hydrated so I'm not particularly worried about it in that manner. Sometimes I think I catch her drinking but she sees me and stops (I've had her since the 7th of this month so yes, I'm a chameleon owner newbie and so far I love every bit of it. Loved em since I was in high school and I finally have the lifestyle that allows one in my life :) ) Ok, I'm asking this because I feel like I'm wasting A LOT of water. I have it nicely set up with the water draining into a bin and I'm just astounded by how many times I have to re-fill my gallon jugs. I buy my water at the 20-30 cent filtered glacier water stands because my condo's tap water has so much chlorine in it that it smells like a pool. I'm just wondering from those of you out there that have a steady, healthy system if this is normal? Or is it ok to limit the amount of water to certain times? Should I mist less? I would go for this option on my own if it weren't for my inability to actually CATCH her drinking. She's so sneaky about it. In fact, she's a true hunter. She won't eat any crickets in a feeding cup haha. She has a strong need to hunt! My little predator... astonishingly, she isn't shy so I don't know why she won't drink in front of me. She'll eat and she isn't shy when it comes to being handled. She shows no sign of fear of me which is pretty awesome. Sometimes she goes to the bottom of her cage and puts her little feet up and looks out so I open the bottom door and she comes out and says hi... once in a while I bring outside on the balcony to see the real sun and she loves it when I bring her out there. But this drinking thing is mystery to me and I'm kind of tired of feeling like I'm wasting so much water. I know this is long and I'm sorry! Any input is well appreciated :eek:

Different option all together

Woahhhh! You arent wasting water, you're wasting money!! Most things that will be in your water system can be eliminated by filling up a jug/bowl/something up with water and leaving it out (and open) for 24hrs. Then, since you mentioned its fairly concentrated, if you are still worried about it, you can add a conditioner to the water (found in the fish section or turtle section of pet stores depending on what you are looking for) and one bottle of that will basically last you a month or so, instead of buying water! This is of course, up to you at the end of the day - but its just another option! I wouldn't limit the amount that the water is available if he is healthy and happy and not dehydrated, which is how you described him, and exactly where you want to stay!

Hope that helps! Cheers~

Woahhhh! You arent wasting water, you're wasting money!! Most things that will be in your water system can be eliminated by filling up a jug/bowl/something up with water and leaving it out (and open) for 24hrs. Then, since you mentioned its fairly concentrated, if you are still worried about it, you can add a conditioner to the water (found in the fish section or turtle section of pet stores depending on what you are looking for) and one bottle of that will basically last you a month or so, instead of buying water! This is of course, up to you at the end of the day - but its just another option! I wouldn't limit the amount that the water is available if he is healthy and happy and not dehydrated, which is how you described him, and exactly where you want to stay!

Hope that helps! Cheers~

Hmmm, I may consider that. I have to read more into that process and how it actually works. I might have to get a heavy duty filter because when I mean my tap water smells like a pool, I'm not joking! :(

It may not be as simple as just leaving the water out depending on your local supply and their treatment methods. Periodically, we have discussions on chlorine/chloramine content of tap water here. Here is one I started a few years back that is still relevant.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/free-chlorine-vs-chloramines-tap-water-113803/

Remember that bottled or "filtered" water often comes directly from municipal supplies (same as your tap!), has the same chemical content, and may even have minerals added back in for taste. "Filtered" often means that they filter for particulates only, not necessarily chemicals.

The first step is finding out what is in your water. If your chlorine/chloramine contents are at the high end, you might consider finding an alternate, chlorine-free supply or treating the water with a conditioner.

(Also, to answer your question, between the mister and dripper, I use about a gallon a day. Maybe a bit more. I use the local tap water. I talked to the water department folks, read the CCR, and talked with a local, experienced reef keeper.)

Last edited:
It's not the price of the water or the water quality of the water I'm currently using that I'm worried about (and I don't use bottled water). A gallon a day I suppose is normal? I'm only just wondering how much is normal to go through on a chameleon on a daily basis.:p

Just my thoughts.

If your supplying water daily with a dripper, and don't see your cham actually drinking, odds are your doing a good job. If urates are white their getting enough water.

I worry when I see a adult chameleon voraciously drinking. As they may have gone too long inbetween drinks.

Babies are a different story. They have small bodies and higher metabolization. So at times their not shy at lapping up water.

I go though about 3 gallons of water per day, per parson, daily. Via a dripper that drops onto a thick branch, and or plant leaves. I move the dripper around to fall in different places. Allowing previous places to dry out. And to hopefully simulate chameleon to move around for the water source.

I also have and use automatic misters, but a good (drip)per go's a long ways in getting water to your chameleon.

It's not the price of the water or the water quality of the water I'm currently using that I'm worried about (and I don't use bottled water). A gallon a day I suppose is normal? I'm only just wondering how much is normal to go through on a chameleon on a daily basis.:p
If that's your girl in your Avatar. A little dipper will work, which I believe holds 70 oz..

i was just wondering if you can only feed your cham fruit
:confused:

please do more research on feeding. they may or may not be some fruits your chameleon can enjoy but a good variation of live (safe) feeder bugs is essential along with dusting. There are care sheets listed under the resources tab at the very top of this page

to OP:

I have the 1 gallon dripper that i fill up entirely and leave it on the slowest drip. I leave it on. Usually lasts a day or two if he doesn't pull on it and mess up the flow lol. i also mist 3x's a day religiously. i never really get any water buildup except on the plant leaves where it should be. I use filtered water that has sat for a while. i keep milk jugs full of purified water, 3 gallons. My water bill only went up $1.

Eye goo

when I got my panther Cham, I was told only to use spring water or conditioned water on him, because of the fact of how chemicalized Florida water systems can be, and that panthers or possibly chameleons in general excrete the harsh elements from the water through their eyes, kinda like humans when we get "sand" in the corners of our eyes, Is this true of chameleons?

For some info on Chlorine/Chloramine. Chlorine will readily dissipate when you leave your water in open air. Chloramine will not.. In fact for this reason most water suppliers now use Chloramine. There are two ways to get rid of Chloramine. One is with water conditioner, which you can buy at a fish store. But you can just buy the active ingredient on ebay. The active ingredient in most dechlorinators is Sodium Thiosulfate. I buy mine by the pound online for neutralizing bleach when I clean animal cages. It's safe to drink and is about as harmful as salt in terms of how much you can drink in water. The other way to neutralize chloramines is carbon. You can add filters to your tap water with charcoal filters in them, but they won't last long. The best is to have a dedicated RO or RO/DI system that will be used in low volume compared to the rest of your daily household water needs.

if you get one of the "big" drippers they come with a package of dechlorinator. i didn't use mine because i filter the crap out of the water and let it sit before using it. i keep lots of backup jugs

Back
Top Bottom