WARNING ON CHOKING ON DRACAENA MARGINATA

Fchamel

Chameleon Enthusiast
ATTENTION ALL FORUM MEMBERS!

Carly had a Dracaena Marginata in her enlcosure. It has been in there for many months now. Just recently, I noticed she was having issues eating it when she wanted to. This past Friday, I noticed it took her about 45 minutes or more to SWALLOW a bite she took out of this plant. Let me remind you this type of plant is long and similar to spider plant leaves. I was getting concerned because Carly was just sitting there with a strand of plant in her mouth. Eventually, she swallowed it.

Fast forward to about 30 minutes ago, I went into her room to look at her and noticed her choking on the plant! There is a pothos nearby, but I see no visible evidence she was eating both the pothos and dracaena. She has multiple strands stuck in her mouth unable to go down. They are very long, so obviously overwhelmed her body. I tried to help her but eventually called my Dad to help once her eyes were closed. He saved her life by pulling out about two different dracaena plant strands out of her mouth. One strand was attached to the plant, still trying to eat.

This post is a warning for anyone with this plant in their enclosure or possibly going to use it. TAKE IT OUT. There is a risk of choking because it is just too long!
I have heard that a marginata is poisonous but Carly hasn't suffered any poisoning by eating it.

The only strange mark I have seen has been on her side here.
I think it is only on one side but not 100 percent sure.

1636507867217.png

I know that most dracaenas are considered 'safe' (which I've never been quite comfortable with), however the only safe plant list I find anything close on is:
https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/
which uses one of it's shared common names—'dragon tree' (with a pic of a different species).

I guess we consider chalking this one up as not 'veiled-safe'.
Definitely. I do not recommend.

Back
Top Bottom