WARNING: Graphic Pictures

Eltortu

Established Member
This happens when you forget that you have more egg containers far inside your cabinet. Last time I check these about two months ago. One container had 34 eggs and 18 the other.

IMG_2662_zps9319c610.jpg

IMG_2661_zps8f0c301d.jpg

IMG_2660_zpse506a912.jpg

I've wondered how often this happens. You start getting a bunch of clutches going, life gets busy... I'll bet it happens more than folks admit.

That is kinda disturbing when you think about it. Sorry it happened to you.

The solution to this issue is documentation. I use Microsoft Outlook to set reminders, mark dates, etc. It's a handy tool ;)

The solution to this issue is documentation. I use Microsoft Outlook to set reminders, mark dates, etc. It's a handy tool

That is a good idea.

Keep in mind though that incubation times can vary wildly. I've had veileds hatch anywhere from around 5 to 13 months.

Its a good idea to get in the habit of checking eggs 3x per week after the 5 month mark.

We went on a trip recently for 5 days and had somebody watch the house. I had him check the eggs in the containers that where 6 months or older.

When we got home I ended up checking all the eggs (fresh laid and older eggs)
In the container that was only 5 months incubation I opened to find 8 baby panthers had hatched...the last time I had checked that container was a week before we left fo it had been 2 weeks.

I have no idea when they had hatched. 4 babies ended up dying and I don't know if the reason was because they where in the container too long or if they where just weak... maybe weak from hatching too early.

I don't know but your photos are very sad....

Ignorance.

Don't think I could let 50+ eggs slip my mind.

Before you say it can't happen, let me tell you a bit about the man we are talking about!! Rafael is very careful with his chams and eggs. He cares about he chams the way most of us do, he loves them. Before he took his family to Hawaii last year one of his worries was that his chams were cared for. I don't defend a lot of people, but I just can't believe this couldn't happen to others.

Rafael I am so sorry this happened. I know you are heartbroken. I am happy you used this as an example to others of what could happen. Anyone who attacks you, needs to be perfect - I only know one prefect man & they killed him.

I'm so sorry that this happened. I know you must be absolutely sick over it. Sometimes life gets busy and bad things happen. :(

That is a good idea.

Keep in mind though that incubation times can vary wildly. I've had veileds hatch anywhere from around 5 to 13 months.

Its a good idea to get in the habit of checking eggs 3x per week after the 5 month mark.

True True - but you can set reoccurring reminders for multiple times a week or once a week or once a month or whatever.

Ignorance.

Before you say it can't happen, let me tell you a bit about the man we are talking about!! Rafael is very careful with his chams and eggs. He cares about he chams the way most of us do, he loves them. Before he took his family to Hawaii last year one of his worries was that his chams were cared for. I don't defend a lot of people, but I just can't believe this couldn't happen to others.

Rafael I am so sorry this happened. I know you are heartbroken. I am happy you used this as an example to others of what could happen. Anyone who attacks you, needs to be perfect - I only know one prefect man & they killed him.

I don't know Rafael like Laurie does, but I do know one thing. I'm sure he feels pretty bad about it and doesn't need any criticism on top of it chameleonneeds.

Laurie is right. I only know one perfect man also, and I'm sure we're in agreeance of who it is ;)

I am so sorry. I know you must be so upset. I do understand that sometime life gets so busy and even important things can slip our
minds. I agree 100 % with Laurie and kgallego there is only one perfect man and he isn't a CF member...

Virginia

That is a good idea.

^This man is right on. What happened here is my worst fear about breeding. I was just talking with another breeder a few months back about the fear of missing a chameleon hatch cause of the inconsistent hatching.

Im glad you posted this as a reminder to all of us breeding and many up coming breeders how important it is to check your eggs frequently.

Depending on species and temps i set a reminder on my phone for the earliest date they could hatch. From then forward i check every day (even though every other day or atleast every three days is sufficient). It is easier just to make a habit out of it and do it every day.
I also bought a beverage cooler that has a glass door on it as a incubator. So when i walk by i can glance the containers without opening the doors (even though i do anyways).

mistakes

What is it religious people say 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. If you think you can not make a mistake, then you have already made one. He knew he had a lapse, but most likely posted to help educate others and a little moral support from friends. NOT to be chastised (did i spell that right, anyway you get my point)

Ignorance.

Chameleonneeds I need apologize to you. I looked back at me, when my friend, Cheryl, told me about this thread, I was very critical in my mind. I came to the forum ready to try to tell the person to be more careful that they should not have let this happen. Yet to tell them the courage they demonstrated by telling the forum, knowing the reply's they would get, shows they care, so are trying to prevent others doing the same thing.

When I got to the thread, I used information know to me, since I know Rafael. I hope I would still have given the person the benefit of doubting how this happened but maybe I would not have reacted that way. I jumped to defend Rafael's actions by knowing the man, not by his actions. I still agree with every word I said about Rafael, but I was as harsh to others, like you, as some of you were to Rafael. I don't think me reacting to explain Rafael, and being rude to others, was a any better than, those who reacted to the information Rafael gave and were judgemental of him. I am sorry.

Back
Top Bottom