WARNING, GRAPHIC PHOTOS—i inadvertently caused the death of one of my Carpet chams

I always imagined these gelatin products would dissolve in the intestines, but I guess not.

I guess it also matters if it's really hydrated or not. I would think a really wet set of standard water gel would slide through fairly quickly, but a sticky little dried up piece would just love absorbing all the water.

interesting to note that it's in the 2nd portion of the small intestine, the jejunum. it did make it through the stomach and duodenum though. and most water transfer in the GI takes place in the colon. so I guess that's just as far as it made it until it grew large enough to stick.

There is probably no reason not to use it in your cham's cage as long as your cham's tongue can't reach it. I like using a narrow prescription bottle on its side. The insects can get to the gutload but no one else.

that really sounded good to me initially, until I realize how much my carpets all seem to like to prowl, even on the bottom. I still wouldn't trust them to not go after a cricket and have the same thing happen. but in any larger cham, I do think it's a great concept.

Sorry to hear this. I do have a question though...are the orange cubes safe to even give the crickets?

Slug

I think they are perfectly safe, as long as the directions are followed. They are meant to be a quick gut loader that is convenient. imo, therere are better gut loading options out there.

Kevin,

You did an amazing job with this thread and I learned something new, that's for sure. I don't use them myself, but it would have never occurred to me that could happen.

I'm very sorry that she met a tragic end, but know you will end up with babies at some point that will hopefully shine some positive light on things.

Kevin S.

thanks olimpia. i just added to that post to make sure the OP and others saw this thread.

and Robyn, i just received the package from you. i'll have that thread up re: shipping soon. thank you again!

Oh man, that is really unfortunate. I'm sorry that happened!

On an off note, if you still have the eggs from inside her, I would keep them and incubate them. I've had eggs (that I removed) develop from pygmies that died (I was unable to tell from what.)

I am so sorry for your loss, but I do have to thank you for the autopsy pictures. I know this sounds odd, but I've always been so interested in autopsies, especially when they reveal such important information.

As others stated, I am VERY sorry for your loss, but thank you for having the strength to let this be a learning lesson for us all when we provide our feeders and our chams with food likewise. I will be praying that those last eggs are miracles and you may have a long lived legacy of LEMON RIP.

On an off note, if you still have the eggs from inside her, I would keep them and incubate them.

did you maybe miss the very last photo and the text? i think they're going to come through since i got them out of her fairly quickly.

I am so sorry for your loss, but I do have to thank you for the autopsy pictures. I know this sounds odd, but I've always been so interested in autopsies, especially when they reveal such important information.

keep an eye out for the upcoming thread re: a panther with hideous MBD donated to me that didn't make it. i've got about 60 shots that will show a lot of what MBD can do to the body, as well as specific anatomical photos. just need to get it all online somehow!

keep an eye out for the upcoming thread re: a panther with hideous MBD donated to me that didn't make it. i've got about 60 shots that will show a lot of what MBD can do to the body, as well as specific anatomical photos. just need to get it all online somehow!

Waiting patiently.

Very interested in seeing these. I was very curious about it, but just couldn't bring myself to get necropsy done on Twister.

I thought you had only kept the few she laid before she died.

i may not have made it as clear as i could have, but stated these were 6 other eggs taken from her deathbed. i have more faith in these than the ones that she dropped in the cage from the same clutch.

Back
Top Bottom