WARNING for those of us that like to take pictures of our sleeping chameleons....

Keeneye

Tonight I was snapping some pics of my babies while they were all nestled in and sleeping. I do this fairly regularly and have for for almost a year now.... but tonight right after a shot... I went in for a second shot and my baby let loose and jumped.... NOT FELL, but JUMPED off his branch and went through the air a pretty decent distance. He made a clean jump then landed at the bottom of his cage. Ive never seen a cham jump like that and didnt even know it was possible! But to top it off when we looked him over.... his eyes were still closed and he was STILL ASLEEP! Fortunaly there seem to be no injuries but if I would have known this could happen I wouldnt have disturbed his sleep. I know lots of us love our sleepy head pics but I will never do that again and I figured it was info worth passing on.....

Attachments

• 20131014_232642-2.jpg
    20131014_232642-2.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 188
Sleep jumping kind of makes sense though.

When you're a really bright chameleon sleeping in a dark tree, you'd think that SOME kind of predator with night vision (be it some sort of feline or fowl) would be able to see it.

Gut reaction? Jump! Gets away every time.. It just seems to make sense anyway.

I guess I will definitely not be getting too close to either of my chams then. Thanks for the sleepy chams warning. We learn something new every day.

You know, when you put it like that, youre right. It really does make perfect sense. I had just never heard or read of it before and honestly didnt realize they were capable of jumping like that. But like you said... we are constantly learning something new and I wont be desturbing my chameleons for photos while they are sleeping anymore.... I guess really they are probobly capable of many things we are still unaware of....

You are lucky your chams only jump at night. I raise
Trioceros quadricornis, they are known for jumping. When my sister was holding my first baby, it jumped out on her hand. She has kept chams many more years that I have so I couldn't believe she dropped my baby. A little research said they are know for jumping if they are frightened.

You are lucky your chams only jump at night. I raise
Trioceros quadricornis, they are known for jumping. When my sister was holding my first baby, it jumped out on her hand. She has kept chams many more years that I have so I couldn't believe she dropped my baby. A little research said they are know for jumping if they are frightened.

Something else to worry about......jumping Chams!!

Jumping

Hey guys
So here is the answer i believe , i was watching a chameleons in the wild movie in madagascar and when they go to sleep ,they go all the way to the ends of the thinnest branches so they are out of the way of nocturnal predators (snakes) and when they sense the littleest vibrations on their branch or bush, they hit the eject button while asleep or just fall off to the ground..my lil female sleeps at the very end of the branches in her ficus..i wish i seen that hap
Pen..i wouldnt worry about the lil critter getting hurt they are pretty well made..i hope that helps answer your worries... Try to be alil mo quiet wen having pajama photo shoot. Later guys

I have seen my chams do the dreaded "suicide drop", but jumping!!?? :eek:

When Smeagie was little, almost every time I opened his cage...'PLOP' :rolleyes:

definitely had my guy literally LAUNCH himself out of my hands once or twice while putting him up towards something he can grab onto. pretty funny

Ask anyone who has quads, they really do jump - honest.

Jacksons too, Rex is notorious for trying to leap out of my hands, this is usually during the transport to and from their outdoor cages. I have learned to transport him with two hands.

Edit: Trying probably wasnt the best word, he has in fact jumped out of my hands and plants a couple times.

Yes, i can vouch for panthers jumping from experience. It happened last weekend. off of a 5 foot fence when he saw a cat. I feel for you. I've never been so worried or felt so bad about anything in my life. Good thing chams seem to be reasonable durable.

My Veiled does the leap of death all the time! The funiest part about it was that he did it when I bought him. I love when he stands on his back legs when he stretches out to try to grab on to something his balance is nuts!

Just maybe he was dreaming of the biggest cricket ever and he didnt want it to get away. Like a dog running in there sleep:)

Back
Top Bottom