Wanting To Get A Chameleon:

ONE MORE QUESTION-

I was wondering if this cage would be good for my first chameleon: https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Fresh-...words=Chameleon+Habitat&qid=1605223018&sr=8-3

If not, tell me. I wasn't sure if it was too small or just right. I read some reviews and one woman had a chameleon and bought one and she said it was the perfect fit and it was great! Just wondering, thanks !!
You want your cage to be tall vertically. I would go with a reptibreze XL. Or look on dragonstrand.com They have hybrid cages which is a mix of screen and glass.

I would suggest putting your cage in a place where it is not too hot and not too cold. You can manage the humidity and temp levels easier. Put the cage on a table, probably the same length of a countertop to the floor or more. Chameleons feel safer when up high since they are tree dwellers. Female chameleon lay infertile eggs, so they would not be fertile unless a male chameleon fertilizes them.
ohh, okay. makes more sense now. so, speaking of females, would i just clean the eggs out and dispose of them or what. that makes me sad to think about, lol.

ohh, okay. makes more sense now. so, speaking of females, would i just clean the eggs out and dispose of them or what. that makes me sad to think about, lol.
You would need to create a lay bin with playsand so she can lay them. I have no idea what to do with the eggs since my cham has not laid yet. I suggest getting your chameleon from a trustable breeder.

You would need to create a lay bin with playsand so she can lay them. I have no idea what to do with the eggs since my cham has not laid yet. I suggest getting your chameleon from a trustable breeder.
Okay. I researched where to get one and my local pet store has one and they are around 60 dollars at the moment due to black Friday like all November?‍♂️ I was thinking about going that route and then asking the worker what she/he would know about chameleons. Honestly, I fell in love with the idea because of tik tok, no hate please, LOL. I saw one and literally have wanted a pet for a while. My parents aren't really into dogs and animals that need to be walked or taken out to use the restroom. I love those types of animals but I can't legally buy one because of my age and also because I am still living under my parent's roof. But, I thought a reptile would be fun. I'm not really into frogs or turtles (they kinda scare me) but chameleons seem super cool, although they take time and effort, I would really love to do it!

I'm not online at the moment, I am in school, so do I need to have someone check on my chameleon, or is she/he okay?

Okay. I researched where to get one and my local pet store has one and they are around 60 dollars at the moment due to black Friday like all November?‍♂️ I was thinking about going that route and then asking the worker what she/he would know about chameleons. Honestly, I fell in love with the idea because of tik tok, no hate please, LOL. I saw one and literally have wanted a pet for a while. My parents aren't really into dogs and animals that need to be walked or taken out to use the restroom. I love those types of animals but I can't legally buy one because of my age and also because I am still living under my parent's roof. But, I thought a reptile would be fun. I'm not really into frogs or turtles (they kinda scare me) but chameleons seem super cool, although they take time and effort, I would really love to do it!

I'm not online at the moment, I am in school, so do I need to have someone check on my chameleon, or is she/he okay?
To create a lay bin, you will need to get a bix box or container and fill it up to about 7-8 inches with the playsand. The workers at pet stores are not very knowledgeable about the correct care for chameleons. Males are definitely easier IMO, but if you do end up with a female, you will have tons of resources on the forum and chameleonacademy.com to help.

To create a lay bin, you will need to get a bix box or container and fill it up to about 7-8 inches with the playsand. The workers at pet stores are not very knowledgeable about the correct care for chameleons. Males are definitely easier IMO, but if you do end up with a female, you will have tons of resources on the forum and chameleonacademy.com to help.
OK! Also, what does IMO mean? (sorry, I'm uncultured, lol) And I literally have a name picked out already and so I'm shooting towards a male.

@MissSkittles What to do with infertile eggs after they have been laid?
Just throw them out after counting them.

@addisyn you do know that chameleons are more of a look but don’t touch animal? They aren’t really ‘fun’ in the ways that other animals are. They don’t enjoy being held/handled and sometimes don’t even like being looked at. I don’t want to disappoint you or try to talk you out of getting one...just want to make sure that you know what you would be getting.
If you are wanting an interactive reptile, bearded dragons are great. Most actually enjoy being held and interacting with humans. I’ve heard them being said to be the most like dogs of all the reptiles.
Do check out Clint’s reptiles channel on YouTube where he reviews the pros and cons of various reptiles.

I would really think long and hard about getting a chameleon. These are not easy reptiles. They are very expensive for everything they need. Also they are not typically friendly. Veileds specifically can be very aggressive and even bite. If a frog or turtle scares you then I would be worried about you getting a chameleon.

The Zilla cage you posted is way too small. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I am not sure how old you are but you have to be able to have an enclosure set up completely right or chams suffer and then they will die. While your thinking the cost only being $60 for the chameleon this is a drop in the hat for what your actually going to be needing to spend on everything. At the very minimum $500... But more then likely more like $1,000.

OK! Also, what does IMO mean? (sorry, I'm uncultured, lol) And I literally have a name picked out already and so I'm shooting towards a male.
In my opinion. Okay, sounds good! I agree with @Beman and @MissSkittles. Before getting a chameleon, everything must be all set up. Chameleons cost up to 1000 to complete their care; nothing can be missed. Think about what would be best for you. :) If you get a chameleon, we are here :)(y)

You said..."I am wanting to get a cage but not a glass one, one with like mesh I suppose! In the summer, am I able to put the cage near my window to let my chameleon get natural sunlight or should I still let it be somewhere in like an open area?"...you could put the cage near the window in the summer, but realize that you want to be careful not to have the sun shining directly in it for very long so the chameleon doesn't get too hot. Also, sunlight passing through glass won't provide any UVB.

You said..."My room is huge, it's in the basement and I have a lot of space, along with wall space. Can you hang your cage on a wall or should it be on like a ledge or a dresser? Thanks again for helping me out. I think I want to invest in a male chameleon because I think all the tiny babies would stress me out a little more, although females seem amazing. Thank you again, very much appreciated!"...I would be afraid of it falling off the wall. Ton won't get babies if the female isn't mated.

You said..."speaking of females, would i just clean the eggs out and dispose of them or what. that makes me sad to think about"....yes...but the idea is to count them to see how many eggs she laid so you know if you are feeding her too much.

It's important to have a laybin in the cage at all times once she's mature.

@addisyn you do know that chameleons are more of a look but don’t touch animal? They aren’t really ‘fun’ in the ways that other animals are. They don’t enjoy being held/handled and sometimes don’t even like being looked at. I don’t want to disappoint you or try to talk you out of getting one...just want to make sure that you know what you would be getting.
If you are wanting an interactive reptile, bearded dragons are great. Most actually enjoy being held and interacting with humans. I’ve heard them being said to be the most like dogs of all the reptiles.
Do check out Clint’s reptiles channel on YouTube where he reviews the pros and cons of various reptiles.
Yeah! I do understand that, I'm just asking specific questions just to be prepared!

I would really think long and hard about getting a chameleon. These are not easy reptiles. They are very expensive for everything they need. Also they are not typically friendly. Veileds specifically can be very aggressive and even bite. If a frog or turtle scares you then I would be worried about you getting a chameleon.

The Zilla cage you posted is way too small. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

I am not sure how old you are but you have to be able to have an enclosure set up completely right or chams suffer and then they will die. While your thinking the cost only being $60 for the chameleon this is a drop in the hat for what your actually going to be needing to spend on everything. At the very minimum $500... But more then likely more like $1,000.
Sorry, I kinda worded that weird. I've owned turtles before and I loved them! I also have worked with frogs before, but not as much as turtles. Normal turtles that I owned never scared me, it was just this one time when one bit my friend! But other than that, I do like turtles and frogs!

Okay! This is helping me now lol. I'm doing my research on bearded dragons and I've been all over Clint's Reptiles Youtube Channel! Thank you so much for this reply, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom