Want to verify the sex of my veiled chameleon (juvenile)

PicoTheCham

Hello!
Just got a new veiled chameleon on Friday and the pet store said they thought it was a male. I just want to make sure it is, see pictures attached below! Since you can't really see the back of the feet I'll try and add a few better pictures tomorrow, but I saw another post where someone identified it as male just by the colors? Idk! Please reply with things maybe I could do myself also to identify the sex! Thanks!

! IMG_3633.PNG IMG_3634 2.PNG IMG_3636.PNG

Can't tell by the pics. Can you post one of the back side of the rear foot? If there is a spur its a male.
Yes, i will get you a few more pictures tomorrow as he/she is sleeping right now! also we believe he is only about 1-2 months old so would the spurs be grown in by then?

Last edited:
Can't tell by the pics. Can you post one of the back side of the rear foot? If there is a spur its a male.
Yes! I will post a photo tomorrow since he/she is sleeping right now! He/she is also only about 1-2 months old so would the spurs be grown in by now?

Last edited:
I bought my female when she was 4 months old. It was clear that she was a female because most other chams in the cage had spurs and were the same age.

You can tell if a veiled cham is male or female by the spurs on the back of the feet. They are, indeed, born with these and don’t just grow there. That’s how they are sexed at birth.
At this age, colors mean little in sexing. Their adult colors haven’t even begun to set in yet.
Also, I’d consider asking who you got the cham from for a verification on its age. Mine is 6 months old and is the same size as yours. A 1-2 month old’s veil would be smaller and their size would be close to half that. Maybe 3/4s that.

You can tell if a veiled cham is male or female by the spurs on the back of the feet. They are, indeed, born with these and don’t just grow there. That’s how they are sexed at birth.
At this age, colors mean little in sexing. Their adult colors haven’t even begun to set in yet.
Also, I’d consider asking who you got the cham from for a verification on its age. Mine is 6 months old and is the same size as yours. A 1-2 month old’s veil would be smaller and their size would be close to half that. Maybe 3/4s that.
oh, ok! The seller didn't say much about the age so that was just an estimate! thanks!

Just checked, only the back feet have very small bumps on them, the front two have none I can see. Does this mean it's a male? Or does it need all four?

oh, ok! The seller didn't say much about the age so that was just an estimate! thanks!
No prob! Sellers tend to be horrible about that recently.
The first 4-6 months are hard to age anyways. Thy usually hit a “growth spurt” between 5-7 where their adult colors start to set in and they actually start to grow in length and weight a lot quicker. Before that, they kinda just ease along lmao.

Just the back 2. You will have to wait or post pics because females a lot of times have very small bumps and are not perfectly smooth on the back of their feet.
got it! I'll make sure to post a picture tomorrow when (s)he's in a good spot! (s)He's a bit camera shy, so he might run away from my phone o_O but I'll try and get a good shot!

Tried to get a photo, Pico just ran away from my phone :( I'll try again later today but idk! I think I can see the two spurs based on pictures I saw, so I think it's a male?! Idk, if i can get a photo I will definitely post it! The spurs look almost exactly like how they do in Chameleon Mike's post, so yeah! I'll try and get a picture!

Tried to get a photo, Pico just ran away from my phone :( I'll try again later today but idk! I think I can see the two spurs based on pictures I saw, so I think it's a male?! Idk, if i can get a photo I will definitely post it! The spurs look almost exactly like how they do in Chameleon Mike's post, so yeah! I'll try and get a picture!
If the spurs are that obvious, then it’s definitely a male.

Back
Top Bottom