Viv Setup help appriciated

bluegoldfish

I'm in the process of setting up my chams new cage and got a few questions if someone could answer them for me?

My panther chams new cage is 24x24x48 aluminum mesh.

Will have no substrate, just jay cloths on the base PVC floor to soak up excess water. A large fiscus, an umbrella plant, jungle vine, branches from old Viv, and going to try and attach on the inside the exo-terra fake plants from old Viv.

Going to be putting in a digital thermo/hygrometer unit, where should i position the two probes to get the best reading?

Have a basking light with usually a 40w or 60w bulb in it.

I've got a twin 20w starter unit, i intend to be using. I intend to use two 24" fluorescent tubes with it. But I'm confused whether to go with the repti-sun or repti-glo tubes. I've been reading the threads and looking at the information and see that the repti-sun give out move uvb? But i don't see any that i can get at 20w for the repti-sun range. They have to be 20w or they will blow the unit.
Also what combination of two tubes should i use? I've seen i shouldn't be using 8.0/10.0 because they are for desert species.
So maybe a 2.0 & 5.0 tube combination? With a light reflector to make sure the light is going into the Viv.

Also for misting can i just hand mist and then use a large dripper? can i use a bucket to catch water from the dripper in the Viv to with a mesh panel over the top to stop feeders/leaves/cham falling in?
I would build something under the Viv to catch the water, but it is already 4ft tall and my room is a like a loft room so the ceiling slopes i can't really raise it any higher esp with the lights etc that need to go on top.

I'm going to be covering two of the outsides of the Viv with green tarpaulin to stop the water going everywhere. but do i need to really get one of those pro-mist/super-rain systems?

I live in the UK btw. I think that is it, and i will keep continue reading through the old threads for help, thanks in advance. :D

see my answer in the quote box

I'm in the process of setting up my chams new cage and got a few questions if someone could answer them for me?

Sure thing

My panther chams new cage is 24x24x48 aluminum mesh.

Will have no substrate, just jay cloths on the base PVC floor to soak up excess water. A large fiscus, an umbrella plant, jungle vine, branches from old Viv, and going to try and attach on the inside the exo-terra fake plants from old Viv.
I suggest a water tray instead of cloth. The plant plan seems fine to me

Going to be putting in a digital thermo/hygrometer unit, where should i position the two probes to get the best reading?
Buy 2 units. put one near the basking spot and put another away from it (in the coolest spot) so that you can have 2 readings. the hottest and the coolest temp in the cage

Have a basking light with usually a 40w or 60w bulb in it.
I am using 75 watt bulb. Depending in your area really. use stronger bulb if the cold weather robs the heat too much

I've got a twin 20w starter unit, i intend to be using. I intend to use two 24" fluorescent tubes with it. But I'm confused whether to go with the repti-sun or repti-glo tubes. I've been reading the threads and looking at the information and see that the repti-sun give out move uvb? But i don't see any that i can get at 20w for the repti-sun range. They have to be 20w or they will blow the unit.
Also what combination of two tubes should i use? I've seen i shouldn't be using 8.0/10.0 because they are for desert species.
So maybe a 2.0 & 5.0 tube combination? With a light reflector to make sure the light is going into the Viv.
use reptisun 5.0 not the 10.0. i don't know anything about combining the light. I use 1 UVB lamp and since i live in CA where the sun is available all year around, i often put the cage in front of an open window

Also for misting can i just hand mist and then use a large dripper? can i use a bucket to catch water from the dripper in the Viv to with a mesh panel over the top to stop feeders/leaves/cham falling in?
yes and yes

I would build something under the Viv to catch the water, but it is already 4ft tall and my room is a like a loft room so the ceiling slopes i can't really raise it any higher esp with the lights etc that need to go on top.

I'm going to be covering two of the outsides of the Viv with green tarpaulin to stop the water going everywhere. but do i need to really get one of those pro-mist/super-rain systems?
no you do not need promist. you can manually do it. But, i have just got 1 misting system that i set using auto timer.. boy that was a time saver. Now, I do not need to worry to mist the enclosure 3 times a day. the machine do it for me automatically YAY!!!! So, owning a misting system is very very convenient to have.. but not necessary

I live in the UK btw. I think that is it, and i will keep continue reading through the old threads for help, thanks in advance. :D
Good luck! Good thing you research first and prepare the enclosure BEFORE the chameleon arrives! Bravo!

Back
Top Bottom