Viv conversion

andy123

So, i decided a while back that bob (veiled chameleon) really isnt using the size of his cage so ive decided to convert it and get my self a pair of panther chameleons

So first up bob himself showing quiet pale colours
6patdc.jpg

so this is what Bobs cage orignally was like...
943370_10151626421943252_360062529_n.jpg

and now with 3 compartments
941465_10151626421833252_592451036_n.jpg

with the doors and front fitted and all lights in and turned on ( apart from 2 heat bulbs as nothing in there yet...)
295545_10151626421773252_64397402_n.jpg

and now bob taking his first step in the new compartment
968780_10151626422013252_2780590_n.jpg

Its not 100% finished need to adjust a few things and get the final decorations in, got new branches and plants and vines to be added but you get the idea :)

any suggestions feel free

With out disrespect it is plenty of room for my chameleon he has the opportunity to come out everyday if he wants to has plenty of room in the cage and to be honest yes people say bigger is better then why do pet shops say the 18x18x24 glass exoterras are big enough for an adult veiled chameleon?!

yes people say bigger is better then why do pet shops say the 18x18x24 glass exoterras are big enough for an adult veiled chameleon?!

Because pet shops typically know almost nothing about what a cham wants and needs! They tend to stock cages that are convenient to stock and sell. They are listening to company reps who are pitching these cages to them. I completely agree with the other comments. That space is too small for him. Smaller spaces also make it harder to provide a range of temps and humidity levels he can use to thermoregulate himself. Small spaces limit the type and size of live plants you can use. Small spaces result in boredom, limit exercise and mental stimulation, and frankly, you also get to see less of his natural behavior.

Just because you think he "isn't using all his space" does not mean he will be content in a smaller space. An established, healthy, male veiled doesn't necessarily use every inch of his territory all the time, but it is important that it is there.

Just to clarify for myself...did you mean that his cage is always open and he can free range whenever he wants?

With out disrespect it is plenty of room for my chameleon he has the opportunity to come out everyday if he wants to has plenty of room in the cage and to be honest yes people say bigger is better then why do pet shops say the 18x18x24 glass exoterras are big enough for an adult veiled chameleon?!

Mostly because pet shops don't know what they are talking about when it comes to chameleons.

I have to agree, thats pretty small for a full adult. Think about it, the width and depth of the cage is shorter than his length. 4ft tall is a misnomer as well with that basking lamp hanging down 6" into the cage. He probably only has 3ft of vertical climbing space at that.

Dividing into two cages would be the max IMO.

Another suggestion would be to get the enclosure off of the floor. Chams feel much more comfortable elevated..

Bob is a handsome veild by the way :)

Terrible enclosure.

No offence but instead of insulting a person like that you could offer advice, ever hear the saying if you have nothing nice to say don't say it at all?! Ever thought you might actually be hurting someone's feelings?
I agree the enclose might be to small and I'd split it into 2 at the most but it's your chameleon who you know about, so at the end of the day it's your desicion.

He was offered advice by other members, he claimed that it is ample space for his chameleon because of what a pet store said.

Nevermind the miniature size of the enclosure, it appears to have almost 0 ventilation, no live plants, and very few places to escape from the heat of the heat bulb which is hanging inside the enclosure with the chameleon.

Overall it is one of the worst enclosures you could possibly put together, and lets not forget that he wants to stuff another pair of chameleons in there with that poor veiled.

Sometimes feelings need to be hurt when someone is unwilling to listen to reason. There is a reason people don't house chameleons in fish tanks, which is essentially the environment the OP has created for his chameleon.

He was offered advice by other members, he claimed that it is ample space for his chameleon because of what a pet store said.

Nevermind the miniature size of the enclosure, it appears to have almost 0 ventilation, no live plants, and very few places to escape from the heat of the heat bulb which is hanging inside the enclosure with the chameleon.

Overall it is one of the worst enclosures you could possibly put together, and lets not forget that he wants to stuff another pair of chameleons in there with that poor veiled.

Sometimes feelings need to be hurt when someone is unwilling to listen to reason. There is a reason people don't house chameleons in fish tanks, which is essentially the environment the OP has created for his chameleon.

I agree it could use some more ventilation. And live plants. But when you say it like that it probably doesn't make him feel great. There's a such thing as constructive criticism.

idk what anyone else should do:rolleyes:
but my 8 month old veiled uses all of his 24x24x48
enclosure and some time soon i will make it a "double-wide"
24x48x48 just so i feel like it is big enough.:D

On a side note I agree you could use some more ventilation. And I do t think it should be split. I don't know if this is an option but you could build one for cheap. I'm sure there are lots of poeple on here who could help you if that's what you wanted. But I would defiantly not split it and put more chams in there.

I do agree more space is needed, not only for the chameleon to move but to create a good enough heat gradient. It would be much better if the heating was outside the cage to give more room. The panthers will also want more room and drainage looks like I will be an issue also in there.

I would certainly reccomend a screen cage each for the panthers as all mine we every inch of space.

There is a full length mesh panel across the front of the cage as well as vents on the sides of the tank and at the top of the tank, bob is content in his viv and happy in his self and itll only be this size for a while due to them being baby panthers and then when they are all subadult ill get new individual vivs. and i have a selection of live plants yet to go in but as im growing them on abit so theyre not destroyed straight away then no there isnt any in there.

And can i just say im really not going to listen to people throwing abuse and telling me what to do with only 100 posts on the website and only copying what other people have said
i do thank those who have been civil and put feedback which i will take on board, and if you do have a problem then feel free to come round and see how obviously unhealthy my chameleon is and how he cant quiet possibly be happy

and in response to the free ranging , yes when i am home from work but if im not then no his kept inside the viv

Although Bob may appear to be "content" in his current enclosure size, 18 inches wide, 18 inches deep...approximately the total length of an adult veiled is far too small.

Obviously he cannot express his discontent to you, and you are clearly oblivious to this, but whether or not a member has 100 posts or 10,000 posts, it does not change the fact that your chameleon barely has enough room to turn in a circle without touching the sides of his enclosure. These creatures once had an entire jungle to roam around in, and you believe it is acceptable to house him in an enclosure of that size despite all of the comments by the members of this forum?

And on top of that you would like to subject an additional 2 chameleons to the same fate? Shame on you is all I have to say, you come to this forum seeking approval for what I believe to be sub-standard housing practices, and then claim that everyone who has expressed an opinion that does not suit you, is either dumb or completely inexperienced due to their lack of posting?

I for one feel very sorry for your veiled, and whichever panther chameleons have the misfortune of being imprisoned in the jail of an enclosure that you are so proud of.

Heed the advice of the other members who have hundreds of years of experience combined, put your ego aside and admit that in your quest to obtain a small zoo of animals, you have overlooked the basic requirements of chameleon ownership.

Chameleons are not snakes, they cannot be placed in a rack system with barely enough room to move. They require fresh air, room to regulate their heat, and height for security. Essentially the complete opposite of what you have provided.

And if you still think you have provided them with enough, try locking yourself in your bathroom or a closet for a few days and see how you are enjoying life at the end of it.

Don't be a fool. You have time to change your set up and your husbandry before something happens that makes you regret ignoring the advice given to you.

So i suppose you have the perfect setup size of a jungle with only live trees natural sunlight and natural heat with regular food available and air flow and all the perfect wild trees theyd have in the yemen islands.....? Well i guess anyone keeping them in a cage is practically putting them up in jail ....

As ive already stated is this isnt there pernament home until they are older i do not wish to put the panthers into a larger enclosure and due to having house cats a full mesh enclosure is out of the question and no i dont own a small zoo whats so ever and im nothing like a snake owner all our snakes have addequate vivs and not tubs. and im pretty sure any animal would love the freedom of whatever room they have got.... and to say my veiled is only in there while im at work and asleep then i dont think the size of his viv at the moment is a massive threat to his health there isnplenty of ventilation as the doors are open.

I would love to see your expert and perfect fault free enclosures for your chameleons then....

Back
Top Bottom