vitamin a

coastal_chameleon

Avid Member
hello guys , I was wondering if anyone can help , I purchased 99 percent pure retinal vitamin a , i'm just unsure how much I should be giving my cham , I know they need about 250,000 ui /kg but im not sure how to even go about giving the proper dose .

I know there's better/easier ways to give vitamin a, like all in one products (LOD)which I already use but I really want to know how I can use this stuff in the future.

Please any of you smart people out there ??>>

I give 5 feeders a light dusting of Repashy Vitamin A Plus once every 3 weeks. The breeder I got my Ambanja Panther from pokes a whole in a gel cap of human Retinol Vit A and adds it to the back of one feeder once a month. As stated by @kinyonga just be careful with it. Some products already include vit A like Repashy Calcium Plus and Calcium Plus LoD as well as Reptivite.

PrOformed sources of vitamin A ...beta carotene, alpha-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin. These are from plants. These sources are safe because the body converts what it needs.
PrEformed sources of vitamin A ...retinyl palmitate, retinal, retinol, retinyl ester, etc. These come from animal sources. These can build up...so you need to use carefully.

to see if anyone knows the actual chemistry/ math behind this question .

maybe this info can help other people out there as well .

its one thing to know and another is to understand .
There is not enough research into this to know anything for certain. We are all just guessing and going off trial and error from other more experienced keepers.

Maybe someone will do that math for you...but it won't be me.

There's more to it than picking a dose size of vitamin A...the vitamin A has to be in balance with the D3 and the calcium and phos. for the chameleon to have good bone and muscle, etc health. It's part of the reason that nobody will be able to give you a absolute definite answer.

Here's some information that will explain some of this balance...but it's not going to answer your question about how to mix your powder...
https://www.researchgate.net/public...eons_Chamaeleo_calyptratus_and_Its_Prevention
"The best prevention for NMBD was achieved by chameleons that received locusts gut-loaded with 12% Ca and dusted with 250,000 IU/kg (75 mg/kg) vitamin A and 25,000 IU/kg (0.625 mg/kg) cholecalciferol plus provision of long (10 h/d), low irradiation exposure (3-120 μW/cm(2)) to UVB."

Maybe someone will do that math for you...but it won't be me.

There's more to it than picking a dose size of vitamin A...the vitamin A has to be in balance with the D3 and the calcium and phos. for the chameleon to have good bone and muscle, etc health. It's part of the reason that nobody will be able to give you a absolute definite answer.

Here's some information that will explain some of this balance...but it's not going to answer your question about how to mix your powder...
https://www.researchgate.net/public...eons_Chamaeleo_calyptratus_and_Its_Prevention
"The best prevention for NMBD was achieved by chameleons that received locusts gut-loaded with 12% Ca and dusted with 250,000 IU/kg (75 mg/kg) vitamin A and 25,000 IU/kg (0.625 mg/kg) cholecalciferol plus provision of long (10 h/d), low irradiation exposure (3-120 μW/cm(2)) to UVB."
thank you very much sir!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom