vitamin A?

Banders675

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. Ambilobe Panther, male, Almost 2 years old.
How long has it been in your care? Just over a year.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once or twice a week.
Feeding - What are you feeding your Cham? Crickets, silk worms, Kings worms, Dubia roaches.
What amount? 7-10
What is the schedule? 3-4 times a week.
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Bee pollen and fruit. Mostly oranges.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-cal multiviamins and rep-cal calcium with vit. D. I mix both of the rep-cal vitamins and calcium when I feed my Cham.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Pump sprayer.
How often and how long to you mist? 3-4 times a day. About a minute long.
Do you see your chameleon drinking? Yes.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. When I first got him his droppings weren't solid. It is solid now and somewhat looks normal.
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He has been tested for parasites and came back positive for a pathogenic parasite in the gastrointestinal tract. He was treated for that and got tested one more time. He was still positive but the parasite wasn't as bad when I first got him tested. He was treated again with a higher dosage of medicine. The vet had told me that if his poop was solid and with the higher dosage of medicine it should kick the parasite.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I got him from a breeder from a reptile show who told us he was in perfect condition. I asked him how his droppings were and was told it was normal. I brought him home and saw his first droppings were not solid at all. It was an orangey-white water and smelled horrible. The breeder sold him to me with this parasite.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?). Screen.
What are the dimensions? 24x24x48
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Heating: zoo med basking 100w. UVB 5.0 13 watt tropical, zoo med.
What is your daily lighting schedule? 7 am to 7 pm heat and UVB. No heat on at night.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Don't exactly know but my apartment doesn't get below 72 degrees.
Lowest overnight temp? Doesn't get below 72 degrees.
How do you measure these temps? At this time no.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? Between dessert and tropical depending on the misting.
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? Sometimes I have a vaporizer going at the bottom of his cage.
What do you use to measure humidity? Not at this time.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? He is in all fake plants due to the treatment of the parasite. If he was in a live plant it would be a pothos plant.
Placement - Where is your cage located? In the corner of my room next to my closet.
Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? I have a window fan in my window but he is not next to it.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is on the floor.
Location - Where are you geographically located? San Jose, CA

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
My Cham keeps his right eye closed all the time. He will open it for a second but will close it ASAP. He also rubs it on his sticks as well as my finger. I have posted photos of his eye already open. Please scroll down for those photos.

Pictures are helpful
Last edited by Brad; 01-20-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Last edited:
Yes I know a very good source. I've had an eye problem or 2 before with my panthers. Another member on here told me about this product you can buy at a vit. Shop. I can only post 1 pic at a time so I'll post the other side of the bottle on the next response.
These are vit. A with retinal palmitate. All you do is bust open one of the gel caps and put the smallest little drop on a single feeder. Maybe you could put it on his favorite treat. Hornworm, super worm, silkworm or anything for that matter. It's very important you see him eat it. Do this a few times in total everyday. If this really is the problem you will be amazed how fast that eye will open back up. Sometimes it happens as early as day 2.
Do not wait because if you do it will spread very fast to the other eye then he won't be able to see to even catch his food.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 115
Before you go supplementing with Vitamin A, have you thought maybe there is a mechanical problem like something bothering his eye? Have you flushed his eye with sterile eye wash?

Before you go supplementing with Vitamin A, have you thought maybe there is a mechanical problem like something bothering his eye? Have you flushed his eye with sterile eye wash?

I'd agree. Best to eliminate other causes before treating with a vitamin that is easy to overdose.

Flush

I have flushed his eye I will try again. It even looks ok I just notice he keeps it closed and he loves when I rub/ scratch at it for him.

What specific supplements have you been using and how often for each? What have you been feeding/gutloading the insects with?

I have flushed his eye I will try again. It even looks ok I just notice he keeps it closed and he loves when I rub/ scratch at it for him.

Also consider if there is a vitamin deficiency it would more likely affect both eyes, not just one.

In my personal experience it does affect both eyes. But just not simultaneously. Once the first eye starts to shut its just a matter of time before the other shuts. There's not a big time gap in between.
This is my exact experience. The first eye shuts and it gets rubbed on whatever is in the enclosure then it might open back up but only for a little while. Eventually the eye just stays shut and won't open back up. The other eye can start after or even during the first eyes problems.

Hmmmm

In my personal experience it does affect both eyes. But just not simultaneously. Once the first eye starts to shut its just a matter of time before the other shuts. There's not a big time gap in between.
This is my exact experience. The first eye shuts and it gets rubbed on whatever is in the enclosure then it might open back up but only for a little while. Eventually the eye just stays shut and won't open back up. The other eye can start after or even during the first eyes problems.

So my girlfriend brought to my attention that his right eye has been like this for a while. She's come home and his eye is shut, he opens his eye to see who is there then closes it. She catches him rubbing it on the stick a lot too.

Those are all indications something is bothering the eye physically, not a vitamin deficiency. If flushing doesn't work, I would be taking him to a reptile vet.

My first cham once escaped her tree outside and made a mad dash for freedom. She was in a Sago Palm and somehow managed to scratch her eye. The vet gave her an ointment and it cleared up.

Not treating an eye problem correctly can lead to permanent damage/blindness. Better safe than sorry.

I'm not going to say it is or isn't a deficiency because who really knows. But what I can say is that it sounds like a vit A deficiency to the T. The opening and closing and rubbing all sounds like it.
But I've never had a real eye infection so I wouldn't know as well what to look at for. Im sure it would be obvious but I've just never seen an eye infection.
Maybe they can both sound the same.

Id still say go ahead and treat it as such for 2 days. Treating for 2 days will make a difference if it is. If it starts to get better go for 1 more day.
And if it's not the problem the Cham will be no worse off then before.

If you want to be 100% sure what's going on before you do anything take him to the vet.

To help determine if it is a vitamin A deficiency it would help if you told us specifically the supplements you have been using and how often for each and what you feed/gutload the insects with. What UVB light does the chameleon get and how old is the UVB light?

Ask for help

To help determine if it is a vitamin A deficiency it would help if you told us specifically the supplements you have been using and how often for each and what you feed/gutload the insects with. What UVB light does the chameleon get and how old is the UVB light?

I posted it in the ask for help questions I filled out and posted last night. The ubv light is about a month maybe 2 old We write the date on them and change them every 6 months.
Feeding - What are you feeding your Cham? Crickets, silk worms, Kings worms, Dubia roaches.
What amount? 7-10
What is the schedule? 3-4 times a week.
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Bee pollen and fruit. Mostly oranges.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-cal multiviamins and rep-cal calcium with vit. D. I mix both of the rep-cal vitamins and calcium when I feed my Cham.

Back
Top Bottom