Vines

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
Im currently using the jungle vines from zoo med? But it has come to my attention, (thanks @Beman :p) that these probably arent a good idea. So im looking for some recommendations. I can go the rolled paper in silicone and tossed in fiber route, but figured id ask the people who do this for chameleons rather than people doong this just for viv decor.

Real wood is your best bet with these guys. If your going to do a fake vine avoid any that have the ability to flake off stuff and make sure you watch them for deterioration. I would not make your own.... same issue with them not drying out completely and stuff coming off them. Also you can’t clean them off which is important.

Screenshot_20190620-230130_Chrome.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/PIVBY-Flexib...nes+reptiles&qid=1561093265&s=gateway&sr=8-18

Real wood is your best bet with these guys. If your going to do a fake vine avoid any that have the ability to flake off stuff and make sure you watch them for deterioration. I would not make your own.... same issue with them not drying out completely and stuff coming off them. Also you can’t clean them off which is important.

I would prefer using wood that looks like vines, but ive found that most sellers keep the good stuff for themselves and only the peices they dont like. I live an hour away from the coast, but im really not in the mood to quarantine/steralize anything.

I would prefer using wood that looks like vines, but ive found that most sellers keep the good stuff for themselves and only the peices they dont like. I live an hour away from the coast, but im really not in the mood to quarantine/steralize anything.
Yeah I have access to tons of drift wood I have not found anything that looks like vines. But I have found amazing pieces. All you really need to do is scrub them down with a bit of dawn and water. Then rinse the heck outa them. I have been drying them outside all week... But if your needing like 24 inch pieces you can bake them in the oven for 30 minutes on 200 degrees. This will kill off anything and dry them out totally for you.

I am doing Beman's enclosure today since it is 30 inches wide I could not fit branches in the oven. So I took them out in the sun everyday all week.
That link that @JoXie411 posted for you is about as close to a vine wood type material.

I baked my in the oven like @Beman suggested I wanted to kill off anything living inside the wood if there was. My pieces were around 24 inches with a couple smaller ones. After I baked them I gave them a good wash with water and air dried them. They look so much better than fake vines! I still have a few foam vines in my enclosure I will eventually replace those as well I just didn’t want those small exo terra vine particles shedding in my chameleons eye. The eyes I would say are pretty important for a chameleon lol so if those get injured your chameleon is in a pretty bad situation.

I baked my in the oven like @Beman suggested I wanted to kill off anything living inside the wood if there was. My pieces were around 24 inches with a couple smaller ones. After I baked them I gave them a good wash with water and air dried them. They look so much better than fake vines! I still have a few foam vines in my enclosure I will eventually replace those as well I just didn’t want those small exo terra vine particles shedding in my chameleons eye. The eyes I would say are pretty important for a chameleon lol so if those get injured your chameleon is in a pretty bad situation.
Yeah some of the foam ones are fine... I use these on my free range area.. but you just got to check them if they are in a cage for them breaking down. The exo terra are the worst and of course that is what I bought a ton of. lol

Yeah some of the foam ones are fine... I use these on my free range area.. but you just got to check them if they are in a cage for them breaking down. The exo terra are the worst and of course that is what I bought a ton of. lol
I know! Luckily I had a few foam ones lying around from an older gecko enclosure I had. I bought 3 more exo terra vines from pet stores and online and that was 60$ for just 3 vines. Crazy! The manzanita branches I got were 2 24inch branches that I cut into smaller pieces and I got those on sale for 27$ For both so it definitely adds up quick. The branches and wood outside are free and give the enclosure a lot more natural look in my opinion. That’s a win win.

Yeah I have access to tons of drift wood I have not found anything that looks like vines. But I have found amazing pieces. All you really need to do is scrub them down with a bit of dawn and water. Then rinse the heck outa them. I have been drying them outside all week... But if your needing like 24 inch pieces you can bake them in the oven for 30 minutes on 200 degrees. This will kill off anything and dry them out totally for you.

I am doing Beman's enclosure today since it is 30 inches wide I could not fit branches in the oven. So I took them out in the sun everyday all week.
That link that @JoXie411 posted for you is about as close to a vine wood type material.

Yeah this what ill probably end up doing. Ive been look at blasted manzanits branches as well. Every time i build a viv and put plastic in there it feels less like a viv and more like a cage.

Back
Top Bottom