Videos or tutorials otherwise

i want to try building an enclosure, tips and any website links or videos would be awesome. thanks.
Since I'm doing the same thing, I hope you won't mind if I take you through how I'm going about it.

And since you've been here awhile, I'll assume you've done all the research & reading about chameleon enclosures in general, and have some idea of what you want—size, materials, configuration, scratch-build or re-purpose, existing plans or custom designing your own... all that kind of stuff.

Have you set up some kind of notebook or database to collect & organize ideas, pictures, plans, sources, details, build notes... stuff like that? I'm using OneNote, but anything (including a folder or notebook) is fine.

The next step (for me) is data & idea collection. I'm using building a chameleon enclosure
as a starting point (take note of the suggested related searches in the drop-down and at the bottom), and expand from there, reading the articles, snagging pics, watching the vids, & bookmarking. I do this for all my build projects.

I'm at the point where I have a rough idea of what I want, the size & configuration, and I'm collecting & sorting through materials & suppliers. Soon I'll begin drawing up plans in Visio, Corel, or whatever drawing package you like, creating a BOM, and shopping for materials.

It'd be easier to suggest more specific tips & links once you have a little better idea of what you want to build. ☺

Since I'm doing the same thing, I hope you won't mind if I take you through how I'm going about it.

And since you've been here awhile, I'll assume you've done all the research & reading about chameleon enclosures in general, and have some idea of what you want—size, materials, configuration, scratch-build or re-purpose, existing plans or custom designing your own... all that kind of stuff.

Have you set up some kind of notebook or database to collect & organize ideas, pictures, plans, sources, details, build notes... stuff like that? I'm using OneNote, but anything (including a folder or notebook) is fine.

The next step (for me) is data & idea collection. I'm using building a chameleon enclosure
as a starting point (take note of the suggested related searches in the drop-down and at the bottom), and expand from there, reading the articles, snagging pics, watching the vids, & bookmarking. I do this for all my build projects.

I'm at the point where I have a rough idea of what I want, the size & configuration, and I'm collecting & sorting through materials & suppliers. Soon I'll begin drawing up plans in Visio, Corel, or whatever drawing package you like, creating a BOM, and shopping for materials.

It'd be easier to suggest more specific tips & links once you have a little better idea of what you want to build. ☺
well so far i’m looking at some aluminum rods with stainless steel bolts and one inch screen. the trouble is i don’t know how to attach a screen.

i was making it so much harder in my head ??
(I do not always have the extra plant bulb so low, but that schefflera was needing it bad)
I have since downgraded to an xl reptibreeze, but plan on getting a large clearside dragon strand.
.IMG_20200511_152908.jpg

it looks great anyway. you should be proud
Thank you. I didnt even use treated wood, and it never warped or molded...though i hear it is not the usual. I also made a slotted bottom, so the water could pass through, but there will be support for my large potted plants. I had a 6 foot money tree in there at one point.
It was very inexpensive. At that time I didnt even have a staple gun, so ai just used thumb tacks to attach the screen.
They can really be as simple or as complex as you choose. You can build one for pretty cheap!
I saw on these forums that someone used sticks from their yard to build a base/frame, and then wrapped it in screen. It was solid enough for their chameleon to be inside safely.

well so far i’m looking at some aluminum rods with stainless steel bolts and one inch screen. the trouble is i don’t know how to attach a screen.
Do you mean attaching the screen fabric to the screen frame (lots of tutorials for that) or attaching the screen frame to something else? For the latter, self-tapping sheet metal screws can be used.

If the rods are for strengthening the frame, have you considered aluminum extrusions, e.g. Quick Frame? DIY window screen frames will slide right into the channeled frames, or can be screwed directly to those with just a flange. Or you can use plain square tube and screw directly on to that.

You can go cheap & permanent, or spend a bit more for more flexibility. I'm working on a plan using the channeled frames so I can slide the screen frames into them. Easy to repair or replace if necessary without tearing the whole enclosure apart.

Lightweight bar or strap can be screwed to the frame similar to how Dragon Strand ledges work.

Lots of ideas there. They've got some videos, and projects (ideas).

ONE INCH screen sounds kinda big. I would think most insect feeders could escape through that.

I used a combination of sources such as Google, this forum, and blogs/articles like this one. Pictures from this forum are helpful for inspiration and tuning of your current set up but might be overwhelming at first, especially for new owners.

Back
Top Bottom