Video Contest Feedback

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone have a suggestion on how best to run the video contest? There are a few decisions that need to be made.

Would it be too restrictive to require that all entries be hosted on youtube?
One positive aspect is that it would provide a standard viewing experience for all entries. A counter argument is that while Youtube is very popular, some members prefer to host their videos elsewhere.

i think its a fine idea to post on youtube.com

the whole "personal" videos and privacy thing is, you can make it so your video is not public and only people with the link can view the video...

same with your other videos on your youtube.com channel

seems reasonable to me

i think its a fine idea to post on youtube.com

the whole "personal" videos and privacy thing is, you can make it so your video is not public and only people with the link can view the video...

same with your other videos on your youtube.com channel

seems reasonable to me

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided that for now I'll accept entries that are hosted on most of the popular video websites (youtube, vimeo, etc). There may be a time in the future that the contest is moved to youtube, and I probably will post the winning video(s) on our youtube page to help promote the contest.

A consistently scheduled video contest with prizes similar to our photo contest will begin this Spring. The video competition will initially be held quarterly, but if there is more participation than expected it could increase to something more frequent.

Get your entries ready :cool:
Details will be posted later this month. I expect the entry deadline to be June 1st and hope to announce the winner on the last day of Spring, June 21. There will be no theme for the Spring 2011 contest.

Just my two cents: I would think any video service that allows embedding video should be acceptable. I favor Blip TV myself.

I wanted to suggest setting up a Channel on YouTube for the forum. You probably already thought of that, but I abide by the mantra "what you do when you assume, is make an ass out of u and me" so I thought I'd mention it.

Just my two cents: I would think any video service that allows embedding video should be acceptable. I favor Blip TV myself.

I wanted to suggest setting up a Channel on YouTube for the forum. You probably already thought of that, but I abide by the mantra "what you do when you assume, is make an ass out of u and me" so I thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for the feedback :)
I now agree with you. It would be a bad idea to force members to use a certain host. We do have a youtube channel and have plans to begin using it more. I'd like to create a few husbandry categories and perhaps promote the video contest by uploading the seasonal winners.

You're welcome. I am always trying to help even when you find me horrible.

I think you should promote the You Tube Channel. I didn't know you had one. I thought you must since I have one and my daughter has one...I figured that meant everyone did, but I don't think I've seen mention of it on this board.

I also think you should use the board's You Tube Channel to promote the board. Tag it heavily. Look at "chameleon" videos that come up on easy searches and use all their tags. Why not try to drive interested people to videos that actually promote good care of chameleons instead of just ways to make them get really colorful?

I think it would be neat to have video contest. We could do different themes. Like, Freindlyness, chameleon rooms, chameleons coming out of cages, chams sunning, chams in free range, chams eating and drinking, chams being chams. The list is endless.

Is anyone working on a video for the Fall contest? I'm trying to decide if there is enough interest or if it should be postponed until late December (Winter).

I'll be working on a vid in nov... but it won't have just my cham, it'll have all my reptiles; so I don't think it'd count. :p lol

I'll make another video.

As far as what needs improvement is having judges as the photo contest does to eliminate favoritism. I favor youtube as it is the most used page for videos. Another thing is having the videos on one page rather than on 2 like the summer contest. Someone said on that contest that it was pretty clear that most people just looked at the videos on the first page. If there is a possiblity to limit the entries to 10-12 it'd make it easier for voters as there wouldnt be too many video to have to watch to make a decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom