Video Contest Discussion

The second and last trial video contest has concluded. Future video contests will be considered official, include a prize, front page marketing, and judges. Unless demand increases, the video contest will be a quarterly event. There will eventually be a dedicated area similar to the photo contest, but this might not be added until Fall.

Suggestions and feedback are always appreciated.

Next Contest: Summer

*demands* I would like to see this accompany the photo contest.

As for a suggestion - I would like to suggest the video contest has NO editing, because for some people it is VERY unfair... not everyone has adobe software (myself included). If there should be a video contest with editing, it should be a theme.

Also I am curious as to why the winners broke "rules". >_<
I really don't care, they're nice.. but next time the rules should be a little more clear, I suppose.

(added sound, text, etc.)

Unless contradicted here, all photo contest rules apply for the video contest.
  1. Image Content
    • Photo must be of a chameleon.
    • The chameleon must be in good health (wild chams excluded).
    • The photo must show signs of good husbandry.
    • Photo must be sharp and in focus.
    • No text or watermarks.
    • No borders.
    • No image modifications besides cropping and resizing are allowed.

Editing makes the world all better!:D

I would not call it unfair. Contest like these should allow those who specialize in filmmaking to use their creativity.

Totally understand the whole not having editing software issue though.

I happen to agree that there should be no editing for the contest. I personally love editing videos, but it shouldn't be allowed in the contest. I think people will start to base their votes on the quality of the editing, instead of the quality of the content.

I happen to agree that there should be no editing for the contest. I personally love editing videos, but it shouldn't be allowed in the contest. I think people will start to base their votes on the quality of the editing, instead of the quality of the content.

Being a college student who specializes in editing I think its pretty cool to use my skills with my chameleon hobby however, I think it would be pretty interesting to see what we could be able to do without editing to assist.

Personally, I think filming anything without some sort of angle change and editing creativity can be about as interesting a mother who films her baby sleep. :p

*giggles* This right here makes it unfair - look who got 3rd place!

Syn, im sure there will be a competition where you can dominate the playing field. Like who cooks better around their chameleons, or who has the coolest cage setup. I would assume a competition judging the coolest cage set up would be unfair if an industrial designer or something of that means wins?:p

And yes third place is cool.:)

Not really, because it has to be healthy for the chameleon. :p

I understand what you're saying.. but, eh. This is a trial after all..

I hope it's made fair for everyone in the end.

Also, when have you ever seen a cage contest thread?...

The only thing I'd have a chance of winning is a drawing thread, and that's if it's limited to pencils and not coloring. T_T

Opening a can of worms.

What exactly does "no editing" mean?

Even if someone were to establish the rules of post-production for the video contest, who is going to enforce them? Unlike still photography, it is much more difficult to determine whether a video has been "enhanced" (either graded, color corrected, cropped, etc) without extensive knowledge and experience working with video (and any related artifacts associated with editing), mostly because most consumer cameras already produce highly compressed images full of artifacts, chromatic aberration, rolling shutter "jello" effects, etc, etc, not to mention the variety cameras with on-board controls for gain, exposure, and color correction, most of which can also be done (and too often overdone) in post-production.

In addition, how are you going to "level the playing field" when there is a sea of consumer recording formats (SD, HDV, DVCAM, XDCAM...), all differing in output quality (and price)?

Not unlike with the still photography contest on this forum, I think we limit ourselves greatly when we impose limits based on assumptions about equipment and software (having Photoshop or Final Cut Pro at your disposal will not guarantee you a decent image, and neither will an expensive camera), but I respect the decision to execute that policy in the still photography contest, as it is much easier to determine what modifications were made to an image based on its XML data. This is not as straightforward in the moving picture category, as just like one can produce a decent image on a $500 camcorder, one can also produce pitiful visuals using a $10,000 prosumer camera, a series of cheesy filters on Adobe Premiere or After Effects, and of course, the overall lack of experience with those tools.

If a user cannot produce a worthy image using free software (iMovie comes with all new Macs), then I can assure you the results won't be any better using any of the professional video editing applications. I personally would hate to limit the contest to a series of rules that will only permit qualification of videos that are presented in "raw" form (straight out of the camera), when editing and post-production manipulation of the image can create both gorgeous, as well as "over done", tacky results.

Here's an image taken directly from a video sequence I shot recently-- no color correction, no filters, no cropping, no other enhancement whatsoever.

3547205877_17c8753a2a.jpg

In the end, the rules may be written with an emphasis on how much weight each of those elements carry (content, editing, music, etc), and not on restricting all creative alternatives.

Regards,

Fabián

Last edited:
Not really, because it has to be healthy for the chameleon. :p

I understand what you're saying.. but, eh. This is a trial after all..

I hope it's made fair for everyone in the end.

Also, when have you ever seen a cage contest thread?...

The only thing I'd have a chance of winning is a drawing thread, and that's if it's limited to pencils and not coloring. T_T

I was making up contests to be random. A cage contest would be pretty sick though!

You could always submit a drawing of a super cool cage. However, I would complain that you have too big of an imagination.:p

What exactly does "no editing" mean?

Even if someone were to establish the rules of post-production for the video contest, who is going to enforce them? Unlike still photography, it is much more difficult to determine whether a video has been "enhanced" (either graded, color corrected, cropped, etc) without extensive knowledge and experience working with video (and any related artifacts associated with editing), mostly because most consumer cameras already produce highly compressed images full of artifacts, chromatic aberration, rolling shutter "jello" effects, etc, etc, not to mention the variety cameras with on-board controls for gain, exposure, and color correction, most of which can also be done (and too often overdone) in post-production.

In addition, how are you going to "level the playing field" when there is a sea of consumer recording formats (SD, HDV, DVCAM, XDCAM...), all differing in output quality (and price)?

Not unlike with the still photography contest on this forum, I think we limit ourselves greatly when we impose limits based on assumptions about equipment and software (having Photoshop or Final Cut Pro at your disposal will not guarantee you a decent image, and neither will an expensive camera), but I respect the decision to execute that policy in the still photography contest, as it is much easier to determine what modifications were made to an image based on its XML data. This is not as straightforward in the moving picture category, as just like one can produce a decent image on a $500 camcorder, one can also produce pitiful visuals using a $10,000 prosumer camera, a series of cheesy filters on Adobe Premiere or After Effects, and of course, the overall lack of experience with those tools.

If a user cannot produce a worthy image using free software (iMovie comes with all new Macs), then I can assure you the results won't be any better using any of the professional video editing applications. I personally would hate to limit the contest to a series of rules that will only permit qualification of videos that are presented in "raw" form (straight out of the camera), when editing and post-production manipulation of the image can create both gorgeous, as well as "over done", tacky results.

Here's an image taken directly from a video sequence I shot recently-- no color correction, no filters, no cropping, no other enhancement whatsoever.

3547205877_17c8753a2a.jpg

In the end, the rules may be written with an emphasis on how much weight each of those elements carry (content, editing, music, etc), and not on restricting all creative alternatives.

Regards,

Fabián

Filmmakers united!

I was making up contests to be random. A cage contest would be pretty sick though!

You could always submit a drawing of a super cool cage. However, I would complain that you have too big of an imagination.:p

The only thing I can draw lately is people, so unless the cage itself is a person... LOL!

duuuuuuuuuuuude my cages are peeeeeople... Hahahah I can see it now.. nah I'm not that creative.

Back
Top Bottom