Vibrating ballasts...

Julirs

Was not sure where to put this, but I am curious as to how many people have flourescent tube fixtures that "buzz" or "vibrate"? It seems that this would be stressful, as light as the aluminum cages are the entire thing must be vibrating. I use slimline fixtures and the Walmart undercounter fixtures, and neither of those has detectable movement.

My uvb tube buzzes a little bit but it doesn't really vibrate enough that it moves or anything. It just makes kind of a light buzzing sound. It was driving me crazy at first though because I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from ;)

The buzzing is usually a sign of an old, worn out or cheap ballast. Usually it hasn't struck the lamp all of the way but like Gaerei said it could be an old bulb too. The one in my garage sometimes doesn't strike all of the way and makes a horrid noise, like it's gonna come crashing down on my Dad and I's Zs. If you do have a fixture that is making a lot of noise I'd first reseat the bulb to make sure it's making full contact. Then if the buzzing still persists try a new regular bulb to see if it's the bulb that's the problem or the fixture. I hate florescent lighting :( it makes everyone look like zombies...haha

the source of ballast "buzzing" is actually the transformer in the ballast. transformers are two pieces of layered magnets and when the epoxy that holds the two main pieces weakens it causes metal on metal contact. the buzzing is the ac sign wave of 60hz traveling through the transformer.

also, electronic ballasts will never buzz because there is no magnetic transformer to buzz, but our inneficient t12 bulbs require a magnetic ballast. so all in all until they make a t8 reptile bulb we are stuck with noisy magnetic ballasts to power our bulbs.
thought i would share...

Last edited:
Cool to know what that buzzing actually is. I havent had my cham for too too long but I did realize the buzzing when it came time to replace the bulb. Other than that I dont get any buzzing.

my dimmer switch on my basking lamp buzzes...the crickets seem to be attracted to it...so ishi knows right where to go for dinner. wow crazy info on the ballast.

the source of ballast "buzzing" is actually the transformer in the ballast. transformers are two pieces of layered magnets and when the epoxy that holds the two main pieces weakens it causes metal on metal contact. the buzzing is the ac sign wave of 60hz traveling through the transformer.

also, electronic ballasts will never buzz because there is no magnetic transformer to buzz, but our inneficient t12 bulbs require a magnetic ballast. so all in all until they make a t8 reptile bulb we are stuck with noisy magnetic ballasts to power our bulbs.
thought i would share...

Perfect explanation. I knew it was a 60hz hum but I forgot exactly what caused it. In my line of work/school, a/v technician/going to school ext month for sound engineering, 60hz hums are our enemy. Thanks for clearing that up for me/us :D

thought i would share...

I have an electric ballasted fixture that powers a 40w T12 bulb. It was 15 bucks at the Do IT Center

Back
Top Bottom