Vet visit, what to expect?

JamesB88

Established Member
Taking my veiled in for his first visit next month, I've had him since October so I think a visit is needed to check for parasites and just for my own personal reassurance that he's healthy.

I've read a few threads on what to do I just want to run this by you guys first

I'm going to heat up a water bottle put it under a damp rag inside of a foam cooler then place a branch in the cooler for him to grip during the ride. I'm only doing this because it's freezing right now in Detroit.

My questions:
Do I take a fecal sample with me to the vet? If so how do I do this...I was going to use a zip lock bag.

What should I expect from the visit? X-rays? Shots?

Lastly how often should I get my Cham checked out by a vet?

Fecal is needed for sure of your concern is parasites.
Find a fresh stool put it in a sealed bag and put it in the fridge until you go to the vet.

You should expect a bill :p, if your chameleon appears healthy to the vet that should be all.

That depends per person. Some do it every year others twice a year and others (like me) don't take em to the vet unless needed. If you have a WC animal you will want to have him checked over at the beginning.
If you feed insects from the wild you will also want to have at least a stool sample done once or twice a year.

Going to the vet can be a stressful experience for your chameleon so in my opinion it's best to take em away from home as little as possible, others may have other views on this.

I would fill out the how to ask for help sheet and take it with you. That way you can give the vet a complete explanation of your husbandry with out having to recall it off the top of your head. Pictures of your set up may be helpful as well.

Do I take a fecal sample with me to the vet? If so how do I do this...I was going to use a zip lock bag.

What should I expect from the visit? X-rays? Shots?

Lastly how often should I get my Cham checked out by a vet?

Ziplock is perfect for poo. X-rays or injections would only be if MBD or other problem was found. Because you don't have a relationship with a cham vet this will be a good time for you to evaluate this vet while your cham is healthy. You don't want to go in in a crisis and have the vet come in and tell you "you have a lovely iguana". After that you can decide how often is warranted.

Fecal is needed for sure of your concern is parasites.
Find a fresh stool put it in a sealed bag and put it in the fridge until you go to the vet.

You should expect a bill :p, if your chameleon appears healthy to the vet that should be all.

That depends per person. Some do it every year others twice a year and others (like me) don't take em to the vet unless needed. If you have a WC animal you will want to have him checked over at the beginning.
If you feed insects from the wild you will also want to have at least a stool sample done once or twice a year.

Going to the vet can be a stressful experience for your chameleon so in my opinion it's best to take em away from home as little as possible, others may have other views on this.
Yeah my veiled is not wc I bought him from a local breeder, I've picked up on what stresses him for the most part and handle him very rarely maybe once a week if that and I only handle him when I have treats for him aka silks or waxs. I guess my reasoning for taking him is 1. He's never had a check up 2. He has been basking quit a bit lately and I've been listening to Cham breeder podcast with bill and he says that basking excessively usually means they are trying to rid a parisite or a sickness.

Ziplock is perfect for poo. X-rays or injections would only be if MBD or other problem was found. Because you don't have a relationship with a cham vet this will be a good time for you to evaluate this vet while your cham is healthy. You don't want to go in in a crisis and have the vet come in and tell you "you have a lovely iguana". After that you can decide how often is warranted.
Lmao very true I don't want him to come out and say well your cat seems to have no hair on him

Back
Top Bottom