Vet Costs

CBee7726

Avid Member
Is there a thread that exists (or any other resource) that breaks down the approximate costs to take a cham to the vet and treat various illnesses? I say approximate because I understand this may vary with clinic, location, and illness severity.
If it doesn't already exist, do we think this is something worth creating a resource for? Not that we want our little friends to have any medical emergencies, but it might help give people an idea of the funds they would need to have set aside.

I totally agree, would be a great resource for anyone. I have been curious too, just in case something were to happen to Carly. Though, prices vary greatly depending on what vet you go to.

This would be a great idea but.... There’s just way too much discrepancy between what each vet charges. My exotics vet charges around $60 for a basic wellness check and another $30-35 for a fecal. Some have posted that they paid triple and more for the same. The same clinic I take my reptiles to, I used to take my furred animals to & I’d never leave there for less than $300+. 2 miles further down the road I pay less than half that for the same care. Unfortunately when it comes to exotics vets and especially ones who are knowledgeable of chameleons, it’s next to impossible to shop around. It’s always a good idea to set some $$ aside for vet care when having any animals.

This would be a great idea but.... There’s just way too much discrepancy between what each vet charges. My exotics vet charges around $60 for a basic wellness check and another $30-35 for a fecal. Some have posted that they paid triple and more for the same. The same clinic I take my reptiles to, I used to take my furred animals to & I’d never leave there for less than $300+. 2 miles further down the road I pay less than half that for the same care. Unfortunately when it comes to exotics vets and especially ones who are knowledgeable of chameleons, it’s next to impossible to shop around. It’s always a good idea to set some $$ aside for vet care when having any animals.
I'm not surprised that specialty exotic vets are more expensive, for sure. A wellness check for my first cham was around the same, which isn't too bad. However, he ended up with renal failure, and that was expensive, and I wound up losing him anyways. In most cases, what do you recommend people keep on hand? $300? $500? $1000?

Insurance is relatively inexpensive and can defray a lot of costs.
Exam fees are going to vary widely by area as property value or rent on the space they occupy will affect this charge. Veterinarians with specialized degrees charge more than those that just have a special interest in exotics.

Insurance is relatively inexpensive and can defray a lot of costs.
Exam fees are going to vary widely by area as property value or rent on the space they occupy will affect this charge. Veterinarians with specialized degrees charge more than those that just have a special interest in exotics.

It seems like Nationwide is the only insurance option for exotics (at least in the US)?

i just want to add - I’m actually currently at the vet in the parking lot.... Wasn’t able to get into an exotic vet within a few days due to the pandemic (they say they’re booking no sooner than February). Because of that, I needed to do emergency. At least here in Pennsylvania, that was already $135 JUST a checkup. Everything else is extra. Something to keep in mind during these times I guess.

I'm not surprised that specialty exotic vets are more expensive, for sure. A wellness check for my first cham was around the same, which isn't too bad. However, he ended up with renal failure, and that was expensive, and I wound up losing him anyways. In most cases, what do you recommend people keep on hand? $300? $500? $1000?
I‘d say set aside what you can comfortably do and think about at what limit you’d be willing/able to spend for your animal. Look at other resources that may be available in a time of emergency. This past year after already spending over $300, I was faced with the question of how much am I willing and able to spend on one of my leopard geckos medical care. I found the answer is the same as it would be for any of my animals...if they need it and I can pay for it, they will get whatever they need.

i just want to add - I’m actually currently at the vet in the parking lot.... Wasn’t able to get into an exotic vet within a few days due to the pandemic (they say they’re booking no sooner than February). Because of that, I needed to do emergency. At least here in Pennsylvania, that was already $135 JUST a checkup. Everything else is extra. Something to keep in mind during these times I guess.
Yes, same here in Florida for emergency vet...$100 just to walk in the door and everything else is extra.

Oh an emergency visit will be even more for sure

Only one I know of there maybe more. It is recommended by some long standing members here.

This is actually good to know, since not all insurances are the same, nor do they provide the same coverage. I was curious if it was worth it or not, and it sounds like the answer is yes.

As others have said, it can be all over the map. My local vets are between $45-80 per visit, but the local celebrity chameleon vet is like $150 or something crazy (I forget the exact amount). Not someone you'd choose for a check up, but I'd personally pay more if it were a unique situation where I needed that expertise. I got a discount at one vet for annual checkup for the whole gang, because I brought in several animals... they only charged me $15 per.

The same is true for procedures. If its helpful, I'm in the DC Captial Area. I've had an exam / eye flush / pain rx for around $150. I've had bloodwork and exam done for around $220. I've had fecals for $25. An "emergency" exam (not a wellness visit) for around $60 (where it was normally $45). RXs seem to be relatively inexpensive.

I‘d say set aside what you can comfortably do and think about at what limit you’d be willing/able to spend for your animal. Look at other resources that may be available in a time of emergency. This past year after already spending over $300, I was faced with the question of how much am I willing and able to spend on one of my leopard geckos medical care. I found the answer is the same as it would be for any of my animals...if they need it and I can pay for it, they will get whatever they need.

This is exactly how I feel, and I've never hesitated to get my pets the care that they need.
With that said, when giving advice to a newbie, we often talk about the up front costs of getting a cham & proper supplies, and we usually don't hesitate to tell people to go to a vet when it's needed, it may not be a bad idea to provide some transparency on this topic for others to learn about and plan for. Or at least something about "in addition to the ~$1000 it costs to get a cham, make sure you have an emergency vet fund set aside too." I know these numbers can seem like a lot/ be a little deterring, I just think that it's good for people to know what they're getting into, and could even help enforce some of our points about certain husbandry requirements. Like sure, a linear UVB is more expensive than a compact, but a trip to the vet for MBD is a lot more expensive than that. Or, the cost of having to spay an egg bound female. Not that proper animal care should ever be about the money, but it brings in another perspective of how important it is to do things the right way.

But then of course there are unpredictable accidents that happen that are out of our control, and it's good to have that fund set aside in case of emergency.

I located the local herp vet before I got my fist lizard, and emailed them asking about costs. He was very friendly, told me to expect $XX for checkups, $XX for fecals, and suggested setting aside $XX per year for emergencies & treatments. Beyond that, he couldn't say because no-one can predict the future. He also answered other general questions I had, which helped my confidence.

Lucky mine is 80 for just bringing him in

Back
Top Bottom