Very sick Veiled

morkie

I could really use some help with a veiled chameleon I just rescued. I found her on craigslist and saw she was very ill. I just couldn't leave her to die. She's still young, no more than 6 months max. She fits in the palm of my hand.

The first thing I noticed about her was her color. She's very yellow, not the bright green that they typically are. I figured it may be because she was cold, as her previous owner didn't even have a proper basking light for her. But several days later, she's still this color which is worrisome. Her ambient cage temp is about 80 or 85 now, with her basking spot temp slightly above 90. I'm worried to let it get any higher than that with how weak and frail she is.

The next most obvious thing is her eyes. They were very sunken in, which I know is a common side effect of dehydration. I've been misting her cage every few hours and at any given time her humidity is now about 70%.

She's also very malnourished. The man that owned her was giving her large crickets, which makes no sense to me as they're bigger than her head. I had to fish out several large crickets and even a gigantic beetle from her cage when I brought her home. She now has a few tiny crickets in there and a dish with waxworms but she has no interest in them.

She will not eat or drink on her own no matter how hard I try. I've been giving her some "reptile appetite booster" mixed with warm pedialyte through a syringe, it's about the only thing that I can get into her other than plain water also with a syringe. She will not even open her mouth for water that is sitting right on her face. I'm very careful while syringe feeding, I give very small drops one at a time, one about every minute or two. She does swallow them, but it takes time. When I first brought her home, her mouth was very sticky and dry. That's been much better now. I've tried to put small insects into her mouth but she won't swallow them. They just sit in her mouth until they disintegrate.

She's very weak, although she seems capable enough to hang on to her vines and branches and move around a little in her cage. In the past day or so she seems a tiny bit stronger in trying to keep me from opening her mouth to get the water and liquid food in. But she still seems weak and frail.

I don't think she has MBD, as the one thing her previous owner did right was have a proper UVB light and dust her food with calcium. I'm concerned about liver problems because of the dehydration, although I read that the inside of their mouths get white if they have a liver condition and hers is a normal pink.

Is there anything more I can do to help her? She's hardly gotten any better in the days that I've had her, although she also doesn't seem to have gotten worse which is keeping my hopes up. The only reptile vet in the area is a Cornell University which I really can't afford. Any help is very much appreciated.

IMG_8924.JPG IMG_9180.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8924.JPG
    IMG_8924.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 2,782
  • IMG_9180.JPG
    IMG_9180.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 471
I'm sorry to say but you obviously already know this, she doesn't look too good. I'd take her to a vet ASAP! hopefully you can bring her back to health. I'd give her some natural sunlight also. Just keep trying with the water, my veiled only likes to drink when I give him water in the morning as soon as he wakes up. Some horn worms might appeal to her and give her some nice hydration. Have you seen her use her tongue? Is the reptile appetite booster the same thing as reptiboost? Gosh I feel so bad for her. I know it's not your fault and hopefully she can pull through. I'm hoping she's not already on her way out. We're rooting for ya.

I'm sorry to say but you obviously already know this, she doesn't look too good. I'd take her to a vet ASAP! hopefully you can bring her back to health. I'd give her some natural sunlight also. Just keep trying with the water, my veiled only likes to drink when I give him water in the morning as soon as he wakes up. Some horn worms might appeal to her and give her some nice hydration. Have you seen her use her tongue? Is the reptile appetite booster the same thing as reptiboost? Gosh I feel so bad for her. I know it's not your fault and hopefully she can pull through. I'm hoping she's not already on her way out. We're rooting for ya.

yes i think reptiboost is what it is. is that a good product? does it actually do what it says? i'm really hoping it will help. she just recently, like in the last two days, started moving her tongue when i open her mouth to syringe feed her. i'm looking for reptile vets in the area but they're practically nonexistent. and once i find one i probably won't be able to afford it. but i'm going to try. id really like to see this little girl start to perk up. the last cham that i rescued a while back didn't make it either, although he had really bad MBD. in some ways i think she looks even worse than he does. i'm giving her pedialyte/water baths now to help hydrate her. i'm hoping that she starts to look better soon.

yes i think reptiboost is what it is. is that a good product? does it actually do what it says? i'm really hoping it will help. she just recently, like in the last two days, started moving her tongue when i open her mouth to syringe feed her. i'm looking for reptile vets in the area but they're practically nonexistent. and once i find one i probably won't be able to afford it. but i'm going to try. id really like to see this little girl start to perk up. the last cham that i rescued a while back didn't make it either, although he had really bad MBD. in some ways i think she looks even worse than he does. i'm giving her pedialyte/water baths now to help hydrate her. i'm hoping that she starts to look better soon.

I've never used it, but my girlfriend has for a bearded that was almost dead and it's showed a lot of improvement. She's actually bringing it home right now. There's a thread with a list of reptile vets in most areas, try searching for it or I'll see if I can find it and I'll give you the link.

@morkie I'm sorry, but those are dying chameleon colors. I don't think the best chameleon vet in the world could save her at this point. Sorry I couldn't be more positive.

i just don't know, i'm trying to stay positive because of the fact that she hasn't gotten any worse since being in my care. the last cham that i rescued didn't turn this color before he died, he started to turn brown and then black from the tail up. last night she looked like her tail was starting to turn more green and it gave me hope. i've just never seen a chameleon this color before. i figure if she was dying she would've regressed more by now. dying things hardly stay at the same progression for long before they croak. as i'm tying this i saw her open her mouth on her own for the first time! she's soaking in a half water half pedialyte bath and i think she may have actually swallowed water on her own! i'm not saying she'll live, but i'm surely not going to give up on her until the moment she goes..... gotta keep my hopes up :/

i just don't know, i'm trying to stay positive because of the fact that she hasn't gotten any worse since being in my care. the last cham that i rescued didn't turn this color before he died, he started to turn brown and then black from the tail up. last night she looked like her tail was starting to turn more green and it gave me hope. i've just never seen a chameleon this color before. i figure if she was dying she would've regressed more by now. dying things hardly stay at the same progression for long before they croak. as i'm tying this i saw her open her mouth on her own for the first time! she's soaking in a half water half pedialyte bath and i think she may have actually swallowed water on her own! i'm not saying she'll live, but i'm surely not going to give up on her until the moment she goes..... gotta keep my hopes up :/

Baths do nothing but stress chameleons out for the most part. Some may say it's good for stuck shed but even then, a shower would be better over soaking imo. They cannot soak up the pedialyte through their skin like other reptiles may be able to...

Baths do nothing but stress chameleons out for the most part. Some may say it's good for stuck shed but even then, a shower would be better over soaking imo. They cannot soak up the pedialyte through their skin like other reptiles may be able to...

a vet tech told me that they can actually absorb it through their vents, and it seems like it may be hydrating her a little bit better than the misting i've been doing. there's no way i can actually shower her the way i would an adult, she's literally the frailest cham i've ever seen. she's tiny too. she wouldn't be able to handle that. i'm just doing the best i can do to help her at this point

Back
Top Bottom