Vertical Lighting for Jackson's Chameleon?

JeffJo

Hi, I've been setting up my cage for the Jackson's I'm planning on getting from BTPets.com. I have the 4ft tall by 2ft wide and deep zoo med reptibreeze screen cage and I accidentally bought the wrong light. I bought a 48" light and hood rather than the 24" light and hood I had meant to buy, but I'm wondering if I can put it vertically on the side of the cage or if I just should return it. I think that if I mount it on the side it might blind the little guy, or feel unnatural to him and stress him out ( because having the sun constantly at eye level would probably drive anyone nuts). So please can someone tell me what I should do. Thanks in advance. - Jeff

Hi, I've been setting up my cage for the Jackson's I'm planning on getting from BTPets.com. I have the 4ft tall by 2ft wide and deep zoo med reptibreeze screen cage and I accidentally bought the wrong light. I bought a 48" light and hood rather than the 24" light and hood I had meant to buy, but I'm wondering if I can put it vertically on the side of the cage or if I just should return it. I think that if I mount it on the side it might blind the little guy, or feel unnatural to him and stress him out ( because having the sun constantly at eye level would probably drive anyone nuts). So please can someone tell me what I should do. Thanks in advance. - Jeff

save the truble, just return it:)

2 options:

1) You can use the 4 foot light on the 2 foot top and let it hang over 1 foot on each side.

OR...

2) You can set up a second cage next to it and eventually put another chameleon in it. This will reduce your light costs for two by having only 1 fixture and 1 bulb for 2 cages.:D

exchange it for the correct size fixture and use the extra $$$ for an extra bulb which you will eventually need anyway.

I'd return it and get the right stuff.

Yeah, I wouldn't put a lamp on the side of the cage, unless you lay the cage on it's side. :cool:

Think about how un-natural it would be to have the light coming in on the sides. Animals have evolved to protect their eyes from the sun when it is above them, not the sides. Imagine driving your car at late sun set or early sunrise and you need your shade visor. Now imagine that is how the sun is 12 hours a day for you. It wouldn't be too comfortable. :eek:

I'd return it (though I like the idea of getting a second cage and chameleon too). I dont like the idea of placing a light down the side of the cage and unnaturally into the chams face all the time.

Back
Top Bottom