veileds and their grip

I was holding onto my veiled the other day and it made me realize how much he's grown. After I put him back to his cage, my hand was hurting. I noticed I had these little red spots from where his nails were digging into my hand! Now I know why some people wear gloves when handling them. He's almost 8 months old now. Is his grip going to get stronger??:eek:

He will continue to get stronger and grow sharper nails. My veiled is around a year and has left half my arm full of scratches :eek:

Yeah my little guy is 4.5 months I believe and he grip is awesome I feel it getting stronger everytime I pick him up

Just wait until you have him grab onto a nostril. OUCH! They are very strong. You have to wait for them to loosen their grip on their own, or they will just grab tighter if being pulled away. Those toenails are no joke, either.:eek:

Just wait until you have him grab onto a nostril. OUCH! They are very strong. You have to wait for them to loosen their grip on their own, or they will just grab tighter if being pulled away. Those toenails are no joke, either.:eek:

A nostril? Yikes...I try to keep him away from my face because of his nails. When he was smaller he was on my hair and his tail did go into my mouth :eek:
I really want to file his nails a little bit but I KNOW I'm not suppose to. :rolleyes:

A nostril? Yikes...I try to keep him away from my face because of his nails. When he was smaller he was on my hair and his tail did go into my mouth :eek:
I really want to file his nails a little bit but I KNOW I'm not suppose to. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't file their nails. It's even sore if they have no or little nail because of the strength of their little toes:D

Stanley can hold on like there's no tomorrow! a tornado couldn't pull him free if he was holding on!
Speaking of nostrils, his nails and my cuticles don't mix!! OUCH!!!!!!

My boy is 8 months old & has stuck a claw in my eyelid a couple of times! It was sore, he always wants to climb my face :rolleyes:

It's when there nails go in between you fingernails it can be quite painful, they always seem to find where it will hurt the most

My boy is 8 months old & has stuck a claw in my eyelid a couple of times! It was sore, he always wants to climb my face :rolleyes:

Ouch! He's usually not holding on too tight if I'm standing still but if I decide to move that's when he holds on for dear life! Then it takes awhile for him to loosen his grip again. I wish we can teach them "easy" haha.

i havent even tried to hold my baby chameleon.. but the time i did when i put him in his enclosure, he sure was strong!!

How can i get a chameleon to step up onto my hand without hissing/opening it's mouth and saying no!:confused:

you can try hand-feeding him so he's associates your hand with yummyiness, or you could try letting him come out in his own time. Some just hate being held- mine is one those, even though I hand-feed.

My veiled is terretorial, so if I stick my hand in his cage, he always flairs up. My technique is to cover my hands (usually with my sleeves lol), he then doesn't think it's me & I can get him out. Once he's out of his terretory he calms right down & I can handle him normally, he still doesn't like it though, just tolerates it.

Yeah they have quite a grip and a rep for being nasty! Here's what Teal'c did to me when the nasty vet lady was trying to examine her :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349714707.949435.jpg

She did NOT want the vet to pick her up!

ouch! I alway end up with a pin-prick rash when I hold mine, but I also get the same effect from holding my hedgehog! I'm sure they enjoy inflicting the damage lol

My own veiled was never a death-grip kind of girl, but the few adult veileds at work are horrible to hold. They dig in, cut you, and leave you sore and itchy for hours. My right arm is covered in tiny pin-sized scabs in 2 and 3 toe series lol. My adult panthers are no where near as horrible, they don't grip like their life depends on it.

try having a mellers chameleon, my chameleon cuts me up every time i handle her haha i have scratches all over my arms between my water monitor and chameleon people probably think i have mental problems and hurt myself.. but i dont my animals do it all ha.

Back
Top Bottom