Veiled treats

TylerAndHarold

Can some people please reccommend something I can feed to my veiled once in a while that he will like. He is on a strictly cricket diet right now and I tried wax worms but he had no interest at all. What else can I give him?

how old is he? I just started giving my veiled hornworms and he loves them. Try that or the big super worms

Can some people please reccommend something I can feed to my veiled once in a while that he will like. He is on a strictly cricket diet right now and I tried wax worms but he had no interest at all. What else can I give him?

I assumed this veiled is an adult?
If not, just remember the size rule and not to feed him insects that are bigger than the width of his forehead.

avoid feeding him wild caught insects that are from area where pesticides is used.

Avoid bright colored insects (since most are poisonous) such as lady bugs, monarch butterflies, black widows, etc.
Avoid poisonous insects such as centipedes, spiders, etc.

Here are some recommendation of other feeders:

silkworms, praying mantis nymphs, katydids, grasshoppers/ locust, dubia roaches, panchlora nivea, hornworms (manduca sexta), indian stick insects, house flies, blue bottle flies, phoenix worms, super worms, snails, and many others.

hope that helps

My 4 veileds love supers. They are easy to keep and easy to feed. They will eat them out of my hand. If I put them in my cricket cup they will always chose the super first.

Everybody loves supers - if the chameleon is big enough and crunches its food thoroughly. The hornworms (ALWAYS captive raised, as wild-caught are toxic due to their diet) come in a variety of sizes, with something to please any sized chameleon. Roaches are supposed to be delicious; you can get them from several online sites (I wouldn't trust "wild-caught", as you don't know what they've been eating) or, if you don't want to bring a bunch of roaches into the house, some pet stores sell the Madagascar hissing roaches - adults are huge, but places that carry them seem to have all sizes. Waxworms may just not have enough wiggle to them to excite your cham; did you give them time to warm up and start moving around?

Thanks for the suggestions, my cham is 6-7 months old so he is getting medium to large crickets right now

I'll take a look at hornworms but I know for sure I can get superworms so I'll try those for start.

Yeah I did leave some in his cup for a couple hours. He came down to look but they weren't moving enough so I don't think he was interested

Last edited:
mine doesn't seem to like supers that much.
All of them shrugs supers and went for hornworms, instead.

You can also give your veiled some greens (dandelions, collards, kale, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (slivers of carrot, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.) and a bit of fruit (thin wedges of apple, pear, melon and berries, etc.)

carrots

my veiled seemed to enjoy a carrot...well at least what he could get from it. He just bit the carrot and tried to get a peice off of it, but he couldn't. So tonight I am going to try the shredded kind. He might enjoy those. He did eat a very small piece of tomatoe. I have also tried romain lettuce but that didn't seem to float his boat.

I ordered the pheonix worms last week and they should be here today. Thos are going to be an excellent staple diet for him, just as an alternative to cricks.

No tomato!
I accidentally fed Max-A-Meleon broccoli one time...It was shredded and i thought it was cabbage. He LOVED it, thought i may have killed him but he is still kickin:)

My veiled enjoys basil, fresh mustard greens, and lettuce.
You can plant them in small planters and put them in his viv.
You can also use dill:) another herb that you could plant.

Most home improvement stores have these.

I do a couple of things for sluggish worms. First I use a ceramic dish for feeding and I heat the dish on my stove for a few seconds until it is warm like a cup with hot coffee in it. Then I put in the worms. After a few seconds they are very active and the cup stays warm for quite a while. The other thing I do is rinse them in warm water to remove the bedding materials. That gets them going too.

You need to switch it up abit, I feed my veiled silkworms, hornedworms which he loves, roaches I personally have an issue with but they are very high in protien! I always switch up his food he will get bored very soon!

Back
Top Bottom