Veiled tested plants that are NOT in the “safe plants list”

Peperoni

Hey everyone!
My boy Donnie has been munching a lot the angel wings begonia (Begonia coccinea) that i have in his enclosure. I took the risk and included a begonia species that is not on the safe plant list after reading the post about safe plants at the chameleonacademy. I thought that since a begonia was included it couldn’t hurt to try a different one. Well, it didn’t hurt, he is perfectly fine and he takes bites of it at least once a day :p. Although i dont think that what i did was the smartest move, maybe you can let me know what other plants are veiled tested from your personal experience that dont belong in the safe plant list. It feels like we have very little knowledge as to what is unsafe for veileds to eat, and even though i know that this isnt the best way of gathering info, at least its something.
Also a disclaimer, i know that there might be long term consequences of them eating unsafe plants for a long time so yes, its definitely better by far to stick with what has been tried and tested for a long time with a lot of veileds.

Yeah the problem with this is that unless it has been tested long term you do not know what possible issues could come from having plants that are not actually considered Veiled tested. A few weeks with a plant shows that there is no initial issue does not mean that there are none. The reason we have few options for Veileds is most people do not want to test plants that could kill their chams. The only way to know is to let them eat it. Then your taking a risk on if it is going to kill them immediately or if it is a long term exposure issue that could potentially cause issues to organ function. Or If the plant produces a harmful sap what does that do when ingested.

Begonia are known to cause issues in cats and dogs. They are considered to be some of the most poisonous plants for them. When eaten they cause Burning/irritation of the mouth and vomiting as well as potential issues with swelling that can cause issues with swallowing.

I think anyone that is new to the hobby are better off sticking to Veiled tested plants. When you do not know what is normal chameleon behavior adding in something that could cause health issues is really risky IMO.

Yeah the problem with this is that unless it has been tested long term you do not know what possible issues could come from having plants that are not actually considered Veiled tested. A few weeks with a plant shows that there is no initial issue does not mean that there are none. The reason we have few options for Veileds is most people do not want to test plants that could kill their chams. The only way to know is to let them eat it. Then your taking a risk on if it is going to kill them immediately or if it is a long term exposure issue that could potentially cause issues to organ function. Or If the plant produces a harmful sap what does that do when ingested.

Begonia are known to cause issues in cats and dogs. They are considered to be some of the most poisonous plants for them. When eaten they cause Burning/irritation of the mouth and vomiting as well as potential issues with swelling that can cause issues with swallowing.

I think anyone that is new to the hobby are better off sticking to Veiled tested plants. When you do not know what is normal chameleon behavior adding in something that could cause health issues is really risky IMO.
I agree with you about begonias being toxic to cats and dogs but, the begonias on the safe plant list and several other plants seem to not be affecting chameleons. Monstera, pothos etc, pretty poisonous but chams have no issues with those. Ive heard mixed opinions about other kinds of philodendrons for example, because even though monstera is recommended people are unsure about the rest of them. That’s why i wanted to hear from other keepers who have probably added a species of a plant that is not on the safe list, and their cham had no issue with it :)
Sharing information about experiences in a forum is not the most scientific way of approaching anything really, but it wouldn’t harm me and other people to know what has been tried anecdotally by others.

And in case i wasn’t clear, i didnt make this post so that someone would tell me “ive had x plant and my cham is ok” and then i would go and add this plant in my enclosure. it’s just that im curious to hear other people’s experience on the matter.

I agree with you about begonias being toxic to cats and dogs but, the begonias on the safe plant list and several other plants seem to not be affecting chameleons. Monstera, pothos etc, pretty poisonous but chams have no issues with those. Ive heard mixed opinions about other kinds of philodendrons for example, because even though monstera is recommended people are unsure about the rest of them. That’s why i wanted to hear from other keepers who have probably added a species of a plant that is not on the safe list, and their cham had no issue with it :)
Sharing information about experiences in a forum is not the most scientific way of approaching anything really, but it wouldn’t harm me and other people to know what has been tried anecdotally by others.
I would include how long you have used this plant with your Veiled.

Like I said I prefer truly long term plants that have been used when we say in the forum that something is ok. It becomes a situation where people read it and think it is. So if you have only been using this a few weeks it shows that you have had no initial issue with it.

What safe plant list are you referring to? The only one that is an actual chameleon plant list is the one on chameleon academy. And that one does not include Begonia.

https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

I would include how long you have used this plant with your Veiled.

Like I said I prefer truly long term plants that have been used when we say in the forum that something is ok. It becomes a situation where people read it and think it is. So if you have only been using this a few weeks it shows that you have had no initial issue with it.

What safe plant list are you referring to? The only one that is an actual chameleon plant list is the one on chameleon academy. And that one does not include Begonia.

https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf
I was referring to this one https://flchams.com/chameleon-safe-plant-list/
Even though chameleon academy is the only source i 100% trust ive seen this list a lot. Thinking back, maybe it was a mistake to take for granted that these plants are REALLY safe 🤔

I have used several types of Dracaena with my Veileds. No issues so far with them. I do have pothos in several varieties as well. The boys don't really like the dracaena and go for the pothos or money trees.

But I have used Dracaena reflexa and Dracaena Mass cane without any issue for over 2 years now.

Yeah that one is actually a dog/cat list. :( Very misleading that they have it up there.
Oh no! A lot of plants on the list are very toxic to both cats and dogs so its extra confusing! Anyway, lesson learned! I thought i was checking my sources but i really wasn’t, still much to learn

Oh no! A lot of plants on the list are very toxic to both cats and dogs so its extra confusing! Anyway, lesson learned! I thought i was checking my sources but i really wasn’t, still much to learn
Stick to everything on the cham academy. He knows his stuff and will not give people incorrect info to just fill space. The FLchams list leads a lot of people astray. They really should pull it off their site but they don't even when you email to complain about it.

Although i dont think that what i did was the smartest move, maybe you can let me know what other plants are veiled tested from your personal experience that dont belong in the safe plant list.
Maybe I'm missing something(?) Why would plants that are veiled-tested not belong on a safe plant list? :unsure:

Another list I would probably take a chance on (barring evidence to the contrary) is that toward the bottom of this page:
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
There is likely some crossover with the CA list.

Maybe I'm missing something(?) Why would plants that are veiled-tested not belong on a safe plant list? :unsure:

Another list I would probably take a chance on (barring evidence to the contrary) is that toward the bottom of this page:
https://www.chameleons.info/l/safe-and-unsafe-plants/
There is likely some crossover with the CA list.
I meant not actually scientifically tested, but more empirically tested. Like from people having it in their enclosures for long periods of time and having veileds that have eaten it with no obvious long term consequences. The “official” list with the 100% safe plants is tiny, and there have to be other plants that can be safe, so i was curious whether someone had such an experience with a plant thats not on the list.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of plants that exist, only a handful are designated at safe so far. We'll never have a complete list. Better to have just an "unsafe" list, especially since a lot of chameleons don't eat plants at all.

I meant not actually scientifically tested, but more empirically tested. Like from people having it in their enclosures for long periods of time and having veileds that have eaten it with no obvious long term consequences. The “official” list with the 100% safe plants is tiny, and there have to be other plants that can be safe, so i was curious whether someone had such an experience with a plant thats not on the list.
The plants designated "veiled tested" are empirically tested. That's what "veiled tested" means.

However I´m really curious, is everyone experiencing that Veiled´s are eating the plants in their enclosure? For so far I´ve noticed a change in behaviour and mine still hasn´t touched a single leaf in weeks. Wrote something about in my personal blog. No one has experienced the same behaviour?

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/state-of-mind.2461/

This my plant list for the enclosure:
  • Spider plant
  • Umbrella plant
  • Pothos
  • Lipstick plant
  • Tree fern
  • Paper plant
  • Madagascar Jasmine
  • Silver Sword
  • Rattlesnake plant
  • Bromelia (Neoregelia ampullacea)

If its in the tank, any new growth is getting munched.

If it has a barky stem/trunk, thats getting munched by even the panthers :)

The yummy list:
  • Spider plant
  • Umbrella plant
  • Pothos
  • Paper plant
Havent tried the rest. but i think some on even the approved list, while munchable, have eye irritating sap, some are used as outdoor plants in Florida.

Keep in mind the "paper plant / Tetrapanax" is borderline deadly to hungry pets and children. I would not take the chance. If its a " Fatsia japonica " then you are good to go. I also keep a cat/dog safe list :)

Last edited:
My ladies tend to eat their plants a lot. One does so more voraciously than the other and often has eaten some down to the nub, almost totally defoliating her enclosure. My male also enjoys his leafy snacks as evidenced by the bite marks on his plants. Going by the bite marks, it seems pothos and especially hibiscus are their favorites.

My ladies tend to eat their plants a lot. One does so more voraciously than the other and often has eaten some down to the nub, almost totally defoliating her enclosure. My male also enjoys his leafy snacks as evidenced by the bite marks on his plants. Going by the bite marks, it seems pothos and especially hibiscus are their favorites.
Both of those accurately describe my beardie enclosure.
OTOH, my panther cham hasn't munched anything—though I believe he's tasted everything he's come in contact with. It could just be in connection with drinking. 🤷‍♂️

If its in the tank, any new growth is getting munched.

If it has a barky stem/trunk, thats getting munched by even the panthers :)

The yummy list:
  • Spider plant
  • Umbrella plant
  • Pothos
  • Paper plant
Havent tried the rest. but i think some on even the approved list, while munchable, have eye irritating sap, some are used as outdoor plants in Florida.

Keep in mind the "paper plant / Tetrapanax" is borderline deadly to hungry pets and children. I would not take the chance. If its a " Fatsia japonica " then you are good to go. I also keep a cat/dog safe list :)
It´s the " Fatsia japonica " checked it, before I bought one and put it in the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom