Veiled has lumps ALL OVER his spine, swollen elbow

Yeah I dunno you just said a lot of words I don't know lol.

When they list ingredients they dont say what each is. They dont list (vitamin A) they list beta carotene. So you need to go through the list and figure out where they get each vitamin from.

You said..."Yes, the elbow was like that when I took him to the vet, and she said nothing, she said he was healthy all around, which is why I don't want to bring him back there"... She should have noticed the elbow ...it's very obvious. I would look for a good chameleon vet.

You said..."When you say it could be calcium, do you mean too much calcium and it's depositing there? Yeah, it does seem like it's pretty even along the tail and upper spine, although there is that one giant lump where the tail starts (almost rectangle-shaped)"...yes...too much calcium...but it would likely mean too much D3 from supplements...but you need a vet to tell you for sure.mimhabpvent looked at your supplements thoroughly enough.

I asked "Is the anything in the cage that he could have ingested like substrate or plant soil or bark or moss...anything besides insects?" Because I'm trying to figure out if he could be impacted. As you've been told though constipation or impaction would have nothing to do with the bumps.

Yeah if you read an older post but bulb strength goes hand in hand with fixture type and how many bulbs. A 12% has a stronger output. You can use it but it needs to be about 12 inches away from the basking site. A 5.0 or 6% would need to be 9 inches away. Both of these at this distance would give you a 3 uvi approximately. If your running a single bulb fixture this would be the info for you. You can raise the fixture if needed to get the right distances. At 6 inches with a 12% you would be getting higher then a 6 uvi level... This is much higher then recommended exposure for them.

For the supplements are they these below? if so those would be ok although some say that herptavite is not as effective because it does not have preformed A.
  • Calcium daily
  • Every other week, calc + Vit D
  • Alternating week, Herptavite
  • RepCal brand
Thank you! I'll raise the lamp. I'm also working on a new terrarium for him right now, so I'll keep that in mind. I did read something elsewhere about lumps caused from Vitamin A deficiency... hm.... are there other supplements that include Vit A?

Thank you! I'll raise the lamp. I'm also working on a new terrarium for him right now, so I'll keep that in mind. I did read something elsewhere about lumps caused from Vitamin A deficiency... hm.... are there other supplements that include Vit A?
There are quite a few... But we don't know what the issue really is. This is where it gets tricky. Your dealing with multiple possibilities.
Take a picture of your actual supplements so we know exactly what you have. One option would be repashy calcium plus given two times a month only say the 1st and the 15th then at all other feedings you would give only the calcium without D3.

No lumps can be caused by impaction period.

The lumps are not in the joints, so that kinda rules out an infection.

Gout is caused by a few things. But generally its a calcium phosphorus imbalance, feeders with high uric acid, or kidney issues. But i have no clue what the underlying condition is. Ive seen reptiles get it from something as simple as feeding dubia that were raised on fish flakes that was super high in protein, and the bugs stored all the protein as uric acid.

What is your food, what is your food eating, and what is your supplements/schedule?

Thanks! I bought an RO water filter but sadly it can't be installed in my apartment, since my sink is porcelain and requires a hole. The landlord came to help me install it when he realized it's not going to work. So the water is tap water (hard, not soft). I don't know if that could be having an effect?

Questions are in my chameleon info referenced in the first post, but:

What are you feeding your cham?
  • Roaches. More rarely: hornworms, wax worms (occasional treat), silkworms when they’re available, but haven't been for months; I sometimes get mealworms but he doesn’t love them.
  • I will give him fruit as snacks occasionally, thin sliced and let him chomp. He doesn't usually go for it.

How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • I made a mix in food processor with carrots, sweet potatoes, bee pollen, orange, and I think kale and a couple other things. I’d have to look the recipe up again since I made a ton and froze it.

There are quite a few... But we don't know what the issue really is. This is where it gets tricky. Your dealing with multiple possibilities.
Take a picture of your actual supplements so we know exactly what you have. One option would be repashy calcium plus given two times a month only say the 1st and the 15th then at all other feedings you would give only the calcium without D3.

Apologies, I don't have the bottles anymore because I put them in their own shakers and labeled them. But it's the RepCal brand.

Rep-Cal SRP00300 Herptivite Multivitamin and Mineral Powder Reptile/Amphibian Supplement, 3.3-Ounce
Rep-Cal

Rep-Cal SRP00220 Phosphorous-Free Calcium Powder Reptile/Amphibian Supplement Without Vitamin D3, 3.3-Ounce
Rep-Cal

Then I have the calcium + vit D, but I think I got that one from the pet store, pretty sure it was also Rep-Cal.

I just bought this spray, which I gave him a drop or two every other day when he got back from the vet (just the first week):
Zilla Reptile Health Supplies Calcium Supplement Food Spray, 8-Ounce

Occasionally:
Amber Technology Reptaid XL- An herbal Supplement to help your small reptiles overcome some parasitic and bacterial infections
Amber Technology

So I just read through your other post... You did not include what your doing for supplements. Also your using a 12% bulb which is stronger. this should have a distance of 12 inches to basking branch for the correct UVI level so that he is not being over exposed to UVB. What is your distance?

On that 12%. I just went to that in mu huge enclosure, no screen. I get 6.7 at 16 inches. It is no joke, it is a significant difference over 6%. I would be careful with these.

Apologies, I don't have the bottles anymore because I put them in their own shakers and labeled them. But it's the RepCal brand.

Rep-Cal SRP00300 Herptivite Multivitamin and Mineral Powder Reptile/Amphibian Supplement, 3.3-Ounce
Rep-Cal

Rep-Cal SRP00220 Phosphorous-Free Calcium Powder Reptile/Amphibian Supplement Without Vitamin D3, 3.3-Ounce
Rep-Cal

Then I have the calcium + vit D, but I think I got that one from the pet store, pretty sure it was also Rep-Cal.

I just bought this spray, which I gave him a drop or two every other day when he got back from the vet (just the first week):
Zilla Reptile Health Supplies Calcium Supplement Food Spray, 8-Ounce

Occasionally:
Amber Technology Reptaid XL- An herbal Supplement to help your small reptiles overcome some parasitic and bacterial infections
Amber Technology
So I would refrain from extras... Like the amber tech reptaid and the zilla spray. You see we have all these supplements and if we give too much this causes issues. It is finding the balance. With the amber tech there could be something in there causing the issues he is having. Also that is only for reptiles that are over 250 grams.

Personally I would only use the rep cal phos free calcium without D3 for all feedings and buy something like repashy calcium plus for 2 times a month say on the 1st and the 15th. The repashy is your calcium with D3, vitamin A and other vitamins and minerals.

I would also keep them in their bottles. If your using the cricket shakers then just add a teaspoon at a time. Air and moisture can damage supplements. So putting them in something that does not seal fully can cause issues with the effectiveness of the supplement.

On that 12%. I just went to that in mu huge enclosure, no screen. I get 6.7 at 16 inches. It is no joke, it is a significant difference over 6%. I would be careful with these.
yep I always cringe a bit when I hear 12% being used in a single bulb T5HO fixture.

yep I always cringe a bit when I hear 12% being used in a single bulb T5HO fixture.

Yea I cringed when I saw the readings. I was all ?. Fortunately there is only one spot at that and she doesn't go there. Still waiting for it to fade a bit.

For reference it is mounted on the celling, and it is .5 at bathtub level.

So I would refrain from extras... Like the amber tech reptaid and the zilla spray. You see we have all these supplements and if we give too much this causes issues. It is finding the balance. With the amber tech there could be something in there causing the issues he is having. Also that is only for reptiles that are over 250 grams.

Personally I would only use the rep cal phos free calcium without D3 for all feedings and buy something like repashy calcium plus for 2 times a month say on the 1st and the 15th. The repashy is your calcium with D3, vitamin A and other vitamins and minerals.

I would also keep them in their bottles. If your using the cricket shakers then just add a teaspoon at a time. Air and moisture can damage supplements. So putting them in something that does not seal fully can cause issues with the effectiveness of the supplement.

Super helpful, thank you. The Reptaid I only was giving him after he started to show some health issues because I thought it might be parasites or thought he might just need an immunity boost. I'll stop giving that, but it wouldn't have been the cause.

Yeah I was alternating the Calcium+D3 and Multivitamin (that's the standard advice I usually see on the forum). So you're saying do away with both of those and just get Repashy Calcium Plus for 2x a month?

(also thanks for the advice about sealing the supplements)

I'm a bit irritated (not with you lol), because I had a much lower bulb in the past, and got the recommendation on this forum that I should up it to the Acadia 12% (was very specific), and that there is tons of light lost toward the bottom of the cage, and most chams don't get enough UVB... and this is the exact opposite advice! I'd be so upset if I caused these problems but getting him a stronger bulb! :(

Super helpful, thank you. The Reptaid I only was giving him after he started to show some health issues because I thought it might be parasites or thought he might just need an immunity boost. I'll stop giving that, but it wouldn't have been the cause.

Yeah I was alternating the Calcium+D3 and Multivitamin (that's the standard advice I usually see on the forum). So you're saying do away with both of those and just get Repashy Calcium Plus for 2x a month?

(also thanks for the advice about sealing the supplements)
Well that is the thing... You never know with these guys. Some items can cause issues with how the body processes them. The reptaid says not for use for under 250 grams. You cham does not look anywhere near that weight and if he was he would be considered obese. Looks as though that product is designed for larger reptiles.

Per the other.. Its not that you were over or under supplementing with the alternating of those two supplements week to week it is that the herptivite is lacking preformed vitamin A. The Repashy calcium plus has preformed A and D3 so you can use this one to replace the other two but only 2 times a month.

Yea I cringed when I saw the readings. I was all ?. Fortunately there is only one spot at that and she doesn't go there. Still waiting for it to fade a bit.

For reference it is mounted on the celling, and it is .5 at bathtub level.

Are you measuring the amount of UVB somehow? (beyond what the bulb advertises at)

I'm a bit irritated (not with you lol), because I had a much lower bulb in the past, and got the recommendation on this forum that I should up it to the Acadia 12% (was very specific), and that there is tons of light lost toward the bottom of the cage, and most chams don't get enough UVB... and this is the exact opposite advice! I'd be so upset if I caused these problems but getting him a stronger bulb! :(
Your using a single bulb fixture correct? If your using a single bulb fixture then the 12% should not be used at the distance you had it. :( you were misinformed.

Well that is the thing... You never know with these guys. Some items can cause issues with how the body processes them. The reptaid says not for use for under 250 grams. You cham does not look anywhere near that weight and if he was he would be considered obese. Looks as though that product is designed for larger reptiles.

Per the other.. Its not that you were over or under supplementing with the alternating of those two supplements week to week it is that the herptivite is lacking preformed vitamin A. The Repashy calcium plus has preformed A and D3 so you can use this one to replace the other two but only 2 times a month.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom